Tax Cuts

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wheelnut

Re: Tax Cuts

Post by wheelnut »

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:12 pm The meal voucher is another joke, it’s not the cost of a meal stopping me going it’s the risk and £10 isn’t going to make me ignore that risk.
As for the VAT cut that’s similar but as with all VAT cuts they benefit those with cash more, lower earners and those on benefits buy more things that are VAT free anyway compared to higher earners.
You're making the mistake of assuming that everyone goes through the same thought process as you. They don't. The restaurants will be fully booked in August because of this. My thought process goes the other way. I'm more likely to go out this month befure the voucher scheme starts as I don't like eating in packed places, even if they are running at half capacity. I have no issue going to to a restaurant. I have no issue getting on a plane and going on holiday.

Couchy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:12 pm I don’t envy the chancellors job and tbh he’s the only Tory I think has anything about him but there little he can really do to help
Quite. Considering how badly they've done with the health side of things they've done the best they can on the economic side of things considering the circumstances.
crust

Re: Tax Cuts

Post by crust »

The £1000 bonus for keeping staff on may not influence a small company so much, however for a larger company that's put 500+ staff on furlough its a serious chunk of change to be considered.

In just one factory we've had to move production lines, build pods for 90 staff around the lines, mark out walkways, change barriers to make one way systems - all at a time when orders are right down. It's been a big cost. The bonus will go some way to off-setting that.

Will we have staff sitting around just waiting to quality then make them redundant, of course not, will it influence the boards thinking? I would think so.

I think the meal ticket may help some but I think there'll be a lot of restaurants not bothering to open on a Monday or Tuesday, they can't have all the tables available so I doubt it will be worth the cost of opening for the few people eating.