Running in

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scotsrich

Re: Running in

Post by Scotsrich »

Not really go into bother with the GS but then again it’s not like I’m going to be much near the redline anyway.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

They key thing is to take into account how you use the throttle and where the air temperature sits in terms of the oil grade used and how many of those initial miles it has actually done.... then forget all that bollocks and gan it up on t'back wheel.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
wull

Post by wull »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:14 pm They key thing is to take into account how you use the throttle and where the air temperature sits in terms of the oil grade used and how many of those initial miles it has actually done.... then forget all that bollocks and gan it up on t'back wheel.
😂😂😂
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've read from quite a few sources that running in too gently means the rings never develop a good seal with the bore and you can get glazing and blow-by as a result. When I got the Duke 690 I decided I'd give it a bit of tough love during the running in, coupled with a very early oil and filter change at around 100 miles and then refill with running-in oil. The dealers did the 600 mile oil and filter change and filled up with the super-slippery 10w60 fully synth stuff, so I wanted to make sure all the necessary bits had bedded in before that happened. By the time it went in for its first service I was running it up to the red line and generally giving it some - it didn't seem to hurt the bike at all. It doesn't seem to use any oil between services (which is rare for these bikes) and it made a very healthy 72.6 bhp on BSD's dyno.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

3 heat cycles then thrash the tits off it.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Never had a new bike or car so always wondered about the running in thing and if it was bollocks or beneficial :(
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 5:57 pm I've read from quite a few sources that running in too gently means the rings never develop a good seal with the bore and you can get glazing and blow-by as a result. When I got the Duke 690 I decided I'd give it a bit of tough love during the running in, coupled with a very early oil and filter change at around 100 miles and then refill with running-in oil. The dealers did the 600 mile oil and filter change and filled up with the super-slippery 10w60 fully synth stuff, so I wanted to make sure all the necessary bits had bedded in before that happened. By the time it went in for its first service I was running it up to the red line and generally giving it some - it didn't seem to hurt the bike at all. It doesn't seem to use any oil between services (which is rare for these bikes) and it made a very healthy 72.6 bhp on BSD's dyno.
A mate of mine (a real careful Mary) bought a new Volvo a few years back, and drove it VERY gently for the first 3000 miles. For years it drank oil like a fish.
My new bike I kept below 7k for the first 500 miles, then made occasional forays up to the red line for the next 500. Also made very sure I didn't let it labour in too high a gear.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Avoid motorways and trackdays until first service, then spank away. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
wull

Post by wull »

For an idea, showing the running in period for the beemer. Varying speeds, varying throttle, twisty hilly roads, you won’t go wrong at that.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The last few I've just ridden normally, ie normally as if the roads were a bit damp, for the first 600 miles. I did get one bike (K12) just before a trip to France for a Flash tour and rode down there and got the first service done in France, then thrapped about on the tour. (Didn't get charged for oil or anything at the French service place and the UK dealer arranged it all :thumbup: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Car and bike manufacturers will need to pay for any engine repairs regardless of how you run it in.

So you can bet your bottom dollar they build the engines to cope with not being run in.