The Yanks Are Back Racing...

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Bigyin

Re: The Yanks Are Back Racing...

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:39 am
And since you are obviously knowledgeable, why did Honda treat Dani so badly ?
Badly ??

He was on top flight HRC machinery for 19 years and won them 3 world championships in the lower classes. He was always kept in the top HRC team when he moved up to the top class even when they were running 3 bikes instead of 2 to keep him along with Stoner as Dovi at the time had a clause in his contract from the previous season that if he finished in the top 5 he was retained despite being at the end of his term. They could have moved Dani then to a satellite team but kept him and instead tried to bump Dovi to the satellite team at the end of that year.

They gave him another 7 or 8 (cant remember exactly) years after this on the top HRC machinery despite the fact that almost every time he crashed he sustained injuries due to his size. His low weight and small size was seen as an advantage a few years ago but the machines are now even more powerful and the Honda is a handful that needs wrestling according to both Cal and Marc which Dani struggled with.

I wouldnt call that badly treated, i would say he was a favoured son but just couldnt get to grips with the latest RCV as well as Marc (or anyone else for that matter) so Honda decided he had enough and i would expect there was an offer to drop to a satellite ride but he chose the "test rider" option.

He still gets to ride the top class but on a bike a bit less of a handful than the RCV. He still gets well paid by KTM and there is less pressure to push to the extra limit and risk injury
G.P

Post by G.P »

^^^ yep, lots of mutual respect between HRC and Dani.

Take a look at the stats, he did alright for the tiniest jocky on the grid

https://www.motogp.com/en/riders/Dani+Pedrosa
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm
hilldweller wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:39 am
And since you are obviously knowledgeable, why did Honda treat Dani so badly ?
Badly ??

Didn't they boot him out mid season or is my memory wrong ?

He gave them years of good service it seemed harsh at the time.
Brian
Skub

Post by Skub »

hilldweller wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 pm

I don't believe there was any bad blood between Honda and Pedrosa. He made the retirement statement around mid Summer and finished the 2018 season. Injury finished Dani rather than Honda.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

hilldweller wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:41 pm

He made the retirement announcement mid season which caused the scramble to fill the empty seat that many thought would be his the following year again. Thats why all the speculation about Cal moving to Repsol as he was already contracted directly by HRC but placed within LCR. You might see it as booted out, I saw it as thank you for your efforts but its time to try something different so Honda didnt renew his contract for 2019 after a dozen seasons in the top team without winning a championship.

During those years his team mates won 7 between them with Marquez, Stoner and Hayden. His eventual replacement Lorenzo had also won 3 Championships in that time. Thats a long time on the best kit without beating the one person you need to beat the most in racing
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Skub wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:17 pm Injury finished Dani rather than Honda.
He struggled from the word go, he was just to small to muscle the big bikes, I guess injuries were inevitable. Which is why I liked him, he gave his all to Honda.
Brian