Homda CB750 Restomod

Anything you like about motorbikes
JackyJoll

Re: Homda CB750 Restomod

Post by JackyJoll »

Are they trying to make it look not much worse than the original?

Is that a worthwhile endeavour? I’m having difficulty seeing the point.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Asian Boss wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:51 pm

I prefer that too.

I can't see an electric starter, are they kick only? :?
Both https://www.motorcyclespecifications.co ... 50k3-1973/

I had a early GS550E with the slide carbs that was electric and kick.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Bit of a niche market. Anyone who is still in love with an old CB is in it for the rose tinted spectacles of the original and therefore "ruining it" like the above is a crime.

Everyone else is probably puzzled why you would put any money into changing something that is ultimately flawed by having such an average motor.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:54 pm I've never had a kickstart 4 pot, but they've got to be loads easier to kick over than a big single, even if it's got a 180 crank it's still only 400cc to kick over.
My 400-F was much harder to kick over than my XBR500. With a single you ease it just over TDC then give it a steady firm downward pressure. Even when the decompressor cable snapped, it was still easy enough because you could build up some momentum.

With the 400 there was always one cylinder on the compression stroke which which made it quite hard to spin.

Mind you, the right bastard to start was a mate's GN400. God, that was a dreadful bike even if he did buy it for a pittance to commute on. Not sure I'd like to have tried a Panther :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What Spin said, multis are horrible to kickstart, there's a lot of friction from 4 pistons and you can't get a good swing at the kick start.
Druid

Post by Druid »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:43 pm This popped up on my local bike search...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203836598376 ... SwjBJiD73p

I'd rather this one than the OP.
Only until you had to make an emergency stop. That pivoting caliper and a single disc was only marginally better than dragging your feet on the floor. A mate of mine had a 550K with the same setup and it was terrifying
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Druid wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:07 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 8:43 pm This popped up on my local bike search...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203836598376 ... SwjBJiD73p

I'd rather this one than the OP.
Only until you had to make an emergency stop. That pivoting caliper and a single disc was only marginally better than dragging your feet on the floor. A mate of mine had a 550K with the same setup and it was terrifying
Even more so in the wet, until sintered pads became A Thing. Quite what Honda were thinking only putting a single disc on a lardy lump like the CB750 is beyond me.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Druid wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:07 pm Only until you had to make an emergency stop. That pivoting caliper and a single disc was only marginally better than dragging your feet on the floor. A mate of mine had a 550K with the same setup and it was terrifying
The problem was two-fold - the pivoting pin was steel and corroded, stopping the pivot moving. And then a lot of riders didn't realise that the brakes actually needed adjusting to compensate as the pads wore, or you ended up with only the pad in front of the piston actually making any kind of contact with the disc...

If you knocked the pin out, cleaned it up and coated it with copaslip once a year, the pivot moved as designed. There was also a screw with a spring behind it partway down the pivot and that needed to be tweaked to correct the clearance between the fixed pad and the disc - if you did that, both pads gripped. It was a two minute job IF the screw moved (more copaslip from new).

Plus, you needed to throw the standard Honda pads in the bin since they didn't work well in the wet. As soon as metal sintered pads appeared, the wet braking lag disappeared.

I agree, you wouldn't outbrake a modern bike but correctly set up, the brake was quite powerful enough to lock the front tyres of the time.

The big problem with the 550 was absolutely terrifyingly bad handling. I can still recall tipping into a roundabout at the same sort of speed I'd have taken it on my 400-F and the 550 going into a tank slapper for no reason I ever figured out, other than the fact it was an evil basta@rd of a bike!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Very mild restomod.
Change the forks and rear shocks for something newer, put the headlight too low, chop the mudguards, remove the chainguard, replace the exhaust for a pattern one.
What else has been done here?
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 pm Quite what Honda were thinking only putting a single disc on a lardy lump like the CB750 is beyond me.
The gross over-sophistication of putting any disc on a bike had the Belstaff suit brigade biting through their pipe stems in indignation, when the first Honda 4 came out.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

JackyJoll wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:48 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:59 pm Quite what Honda were thinking only putting a single disc on a lardy lump like the CB750 is beyond me.
The gross over-sophistication of putting any disc on a bike had the Belstaff suit brigade biting through their pipe stems in indignation, when the first Honda 4 came out.
Indeed. I remembered the indignation when Mike Hailwood tried out disc front brakes on his private 500cc Honda 4 race bike.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.