Cornering. Left or Right Which Do You Prefer?

Anything you like about motorbikes
ajlog

Re: Cornering. Left or Right Which Do You Prefer?

Post by ajlog »

I’m much more comfortable and confident on righthanders.
Always thought it was down to combination of practice due to roundabouts and the fact errors = scenery not the grill of an HGV.

Strange thing is I have always felt this, and assumed this was the norm, but the previous answers it appears I am wrong.

And I’m right handed myself.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Right handed, slight preference for left handers, which is a shame as most circuits are mostly clockwise! I also had a high speed off into Gerrards at Mallory, but my preference for left handers precedes that ...
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Left handers are better for me.

I tend to cut the corners on rights which means I have to consciously counter that whereas on lefts they just feel more ‘natural’
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I prefers lefts, and am right-handed. I've never liked the idea of getting too close to the verge/wall/kerb etc IAM-style. I'm fairly comfortable with the idea of a quick counter steer out of the way on a left if there's oncoming traffic. And I suspect the camber on a left helps (in UK). I have to work a bit harder at keeping my arms relaxed to take a right smoothly.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So random question for you....

All of those who say "left", if you were to ride a skateboard which leg would you naturally lead with? Even if you've never done it I'd bet you have an instinctive 'correct' way to do it.

MK roundabouts aside, I do actually think I'd prefer rights. I also skateboard/snowboard right leg first, which is the less common way of doing it (right leg first is "Goofy" and left is "Regular"). Looking at this thread so far left seems far more popular, so I'm just wondering if there's a correlation.

I'm right handed though.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:53 pm So random question for you....

All of those who say "left", if you were to ride a skateboard which leg would you naturally lead with? Even if you've never done it I'd bet you have an instinctive 'correct' way to do it.
Same as what when I was a nipper, regular, my momma didn't raise no goofy fool, fool.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I should probs add that I'm normal handed (right) but have always kicked a ball with my left.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Pushed with the right and right was up front. Right handed but prefer left bends
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I prefer left hand bends and I have always had to work harder to nail right hand bends. Right hand bends are something that I practice, get right for a while and then slip back to not as good.

While out with a police instructor four years ago in Wales I didn't know I'd slipped backwards on my right hand bends and it wasn't on my mind. Towards the end of the day he said "I've got it!", "What?" I asked, "You're not using enough gas in right hand bends!".

The main issues I've had is not getting into the correct road position early enough, not looking through them and not using enough gas.

MK roundabouts aside, I do actually think I'd prefer rights. I also skateboard/snowboard right leg first, which is the less common way of doing it (right leg first is "Goofy" and left is "Regular"). Looking at this thread so far left seems far more popular, so I'm just wondering if there's a correlation.

I'm right handed though.
I'm right handed.

If I was to skateboard I'd have my left leg forward on the board and paddle with my right leg.
Lockdown refugee
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Re the skateboard thing. When the skateboard guy did the 'shove in the back to see which foot I put forward' thing, I was 'ambifootsterous' ie put left or right forward depending on some minor thing in the push or my stance. Ended up riding goofy.
So, right handed/footed, goofy (can't throw or kick for toffee with the left), prefer left hand bends.
Think it's psychological...more road to run wide/misjudge on on lh bends, verges, kerbs and roadside grot if you run wide on rh. (If you're running wide enough to be on the wrong side of the road/into the oncoming traffic, you've really misjudged the bend :o ) TBH, if there's a lot of traffic around I don't exactly push the envelope. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I'm right handed though.

Right handed in general, right footed with a footbal, left handed with a bow and arrow or catapult and just to further confuse matters I'm goofy footed on a skateboard (right foot forward).

Prefer lefthanders by a bit.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:53 pm All of those who say "left", if you were to ride a skateboard which leg would you naturally lead with? Even if you've never done it I'd bet you have an instinctive 'correct' way to do it.
On a skateboard I'm goofy footed - right foot forward.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

^ Up there I said 'skateboard and I meant 'snowboard'. I'm goofy on a snowboard :D but I would be regular on a skateboard. Hmm. Maybe I should have persevered and hired a snowboard set up regular to give it a proper try...but I bought one that wasn't so stayed that way.

Academic now...my knees are irregular. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:19 pm I don't have a preference, I'm shit at both
Yeah,I'd subscribe to that one too.

Perhaps on the road I may be a little more circumspect on left corners,especially if there is a lot of oncoming traffic,but I don't really care about left or right as such.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I think I used to hang off most on lefties...
TRC.jpg
TRC.jpg (398.27 KiB) Viewed 88 times