Scratching an itch..

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Scratching an itch..

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I had a 98 R1, R998RRT, in 2000, it was fecking mental, unfortunately it didn't end well, back of an Astra, bent frame, broken back.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I can't recall the details, but some of these had an issue with the rear cylinder cam chain tensioner. I think it was the earlier models, but might be worth a google?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:34 pm I can't recall the details, but some of these had an issue with the rear cylinder cam chain tensioner. I think it was the earlier models, but might be worth a google?
I think the CCT in the earlier model had a few issues,also typical Suzuki, the reg/rec doesn't have the best reputation.If I keep the bike I'll upgrade the reg/rec to a Mosfet type.The only other problem I know about is the front cylinder seizing from oil starvation due to people doing wheelies on them.
The previous owner didn't look like a stunter & I'm crap at wheelies,so I hope that won't become a issue.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I've never had a problem with a Suzuki Regulator Rectifier and I've probably owned about 20 Suzukis
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Bustaspoke wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:06 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:24 pm Niiice

Despite that, I would love an SV out here, reckon it would be proper fun on these roads :D :D :D
I bought it as a cheap workhorse & to have some fun with on the backroads around here.Big enough to be fun on the backroads but not so powerfull as to lose my licence. :thumbup:
I bought an old mk1 pegaso for just that reason, then proceeded to ride it flat chat everywhere and tried to discover how many gears I could wheelie it through!
4th btw😉
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:01 am I've never had a problem with a Suzuki Regulator Rectifier and I've probably owned about 20 Suzukis
It comes up quite often on the SV650 boards,I supose it's inevitible considering Suzuki have sold thousands of them.It also crops up on the Street Triple boards,but that's with the early version,not my bike.
My only experiences with Suzuki's before buying the SV were,in my teens with a GT250 that had been rewired by a farmer ,that was a learning experience :wtf: & then with a 250X7,that had a appetite for CDI units ,and my cousins GSXR750 Reg/Rec failed on him up in the lakes the other year.
Over the weekend I'll fit the LED voltmeter so I can keep an eye on things.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Seeing as it's torrential rain outside I think it's time for an update on the SV650.
Since I last posted it's covered a few thousand miles.In that time I've realised that the suspension is terrible but the frame geometry is good.
The rear shock had hardly any damping in it so I swapped it out for a YSS unit.
The old shock came out easily enough,but some of the lower linkage bolts were due a regreasing..

Here's the YSS shock & the original

I was going to fit a Nitron shock,but I thought it would be overkill on a budget hack bike.
The new shock emphsised the faults in the front end,so I took the forks out & did a fork oil change

The forks were due a service,but 'Ive seen worse.I'm still experimenting with the air gap ,but I can see me changing springs at some point..
I rode it to the Manx GP/ Classic TT.Here it is just off the Sulby Glen road,

it's great on these type of roads,but it was also fun doing a few laps of the mountain course.It was great fun being able to cane it going over the mountain & not be overwhelmed by how much power the bike made,just fun. :thumbup:
I was camping & here's the bike loaded up.Not Goldwing levels of comfort (or weight),but good enough for me

A couple of weeks ago we had a weekend trip down to west Wales & across to Rhayader,I was so pleased with how the SV performed in the Isle of Man that I also took it on this trip & sure enough on the Welsh B roads it performed well

This time I didn't even bother with the tank bag or throwovers.

So far the bike's been a pleasant surprise.On paper my Street Triple is a better bike in every department except price,yet more often than not I find myself going out for a ride on the SV,it's just a great 'go to' bike.
When we were packing up on the campsite in Wales,my mate with the Hyabusa declared that he was so impressed with the SV650 that he was going to tell his son in law to buy one! :D
Both my mates also said that the exhaust note sounded great & they loved the sound it made when I wound it on coming out of the corners,it's a Black Widow silencer.
Previous owners mods.
Black Widow silencer
Tail tidy
Different front screen
I got the original silencer,rear mudguard & screen with the bike
Mods so far
The bike is a 'S' fully faired model,but I prefer it without the fairing lowers,so I've removed the lowers.
Front 'mudguard extender,the mudguard is very short & apparently they have a habit of turning into SV325's when it rains,(I've had no problems)
A little LED Voltmeter https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202221033272 ... R5rM7fP0YA
Ebay long clutch & brake levers
Suzuki clutch switch.
SW Motech PRO magnetic tank bag base
Renntec rear rack
YSS rear shock.
Front fork oil changed
Oil & Filter changed
Next mods,I'm trying some Ferodo pads & I managed to do a deal on a top yoke kit,that's the top yoke,Renthal bars & risers plus braided brake lines.
Only failure so far has been the clutch switch.The brakes are not very good,I think it's the 14 years old brake lines...
The engine braking is something else,my mates comment on how rarely they see the brake light,also when I go for a spirited ride on the Street Triple I have to quickly readjust to the different level of engine braking :shock:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've had a few of these and am certainly not surprised at how much you're enjoying it. They are deffo one of my favorite bikes, hence why I've owned a few of them. Su h a great all rounder, brilliant commuter and b road scratcher. After reading your posts I keep looking on ebay...
Le_Fromage_Grande

The brakes on them were never very good
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I looked at Couchy's several times as would have been ideal as a knock about bike. SVs are definitely one of the great unsung bikes. My problem is the GSX is my pride and joy so hate the thought of it getting wet/used in shit weather. A cheap SV I suspect I'd be using to go to mates houses, shops, work etc whatever as long as it wasn't snowing
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:59 pm I looked at Couchy's several times as would have been ideal as a knock about bike. SVs are definitely one of the great unsung bikes. My problem is the GSX is my pride and joy so hate the thought of it getting wet/used in shit weather. A cheap SV I suspect I'd be using to go to mates houses, shops, work etc whatever as long as it wasn't snowing
That was my rationale when I bought the bike.
I wanted a cheap hack for just nipping around on,the Street Triple's mint & I want to keep it that way.
I'm more relaxed with the SV,,I call the Street Triple my'Sunny sunday Princess',the SV is Back Lanes Betty :thumbup:
I've been to the Classic TT a couple of times on the Streety & I started riding it through last Winter,at one point I decided that was not why I bought it & it was time to get a hack bike.I also wanted a 'hobby bike' that I could mess around with & the SV fits the bill.
BBB

Post by BBB »

How are you finding the yss shock? Idly looking at one for my speed triple and not sure my ability justifies a nitron.
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

The shock's been excellent compared to the tired original.You can adjust shock length,preload & rebound damping but no compression adjustment.
If you watch this weeks episode of the Budget Bike Battle on 44 teeth's You Tube channel,they also fitted a YSS shock to their Fireblade,so it's not just me who thinks YSS are good value.
I think you can get a remote preload adjuster for it,but if I was to get a shock with more features I would get the Nitron.
In fact I might get a Nitron for my Street Triple
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Time for an update on the SV650.
One of the fork seals started leaking the other week,I ordered a 'Slinky Glide'oil & dust seal kit from Wemoto,fitted the seal,but it's a few years since I last fitted a fork seal & I couldn't findthe plastic pipe I use to drive the fork seal home.I ended up doing a bit of a bodge but the seal didn't leak :thumbup:
This week we did a midweek ride over to Devils Bridge & when I got home I noticed it was leaking again :wtf:
Yesterday I fitted a new seal properly this time & all seems good
I bought this seal driver from Ebay 39-50mm £18 delivered

Recommended if you do your own maintenance :thumbup:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Potter wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 4:43 am
Bustaspoke wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:33 pm
This week we did a midweek ride over to Devils Bridge & when I got home I noticed it was leaking again :wtf:
There is going to be average speed cameras along that whole route soon.
They've helpfully put them about 100yds past our cottage and plan them this year to go in all along the roads to Lancaster and then all along the A683 right to Devils Bridge, so I'll either go up through the Forrest of Bowland or find somewhere else to ride.
Yes I noticed the yellow poles & thought they would be for average speed cameras.It doesn't bother me as these days I don't speed,I'm happy enough blatting about on the little SV but ,I must admit it would have been a issue back in the day...
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

It was raining again today so I decided to do some preventitive maintenance on the SV650
It's only the second time in 18 months ownershio that I've looked under the tank so it was a bit of a learning experience.The other time was to check that the air filter had been changed (it had) :thumbup: I also noticed that a used fuel pump had been fitted..
One of the few issues with the SV650's is the fuel pipe between the throttle bodies starting to leak.Mine doesn't leak but as the bike's 15 years old I thought I'd take the air box off & measure it,it's 60mm,so I've ordered 100mm of Fuel injection hose for the princely sum of £2.80 delivered.From what I've read the hose shrinks a little & the clamps can't be tightened so people cut off the clamps & replace with Jubilee clips.

After plumbing in all the SAI hoses & various electrical connectors I decided to check the rear cylinder valve clearances The SV650 is coming up to 18000 miles,the manual says IN 0.010-020 & EXH 0.20 - 0.30 .It was a bit of a faff but I managed to check the clearances & got 0.015 for the INL & 0.20 for the EXH.By this time it had stopped raining & the sun was out,only one thing for it,out for a test run to check that everything was working as it should be.

Nothing amiss,I'll get around to swapping the fuel pipe & checking the front cylinder clearances later this week
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I remember on SVs it was really important to keep the petrol overflow pipe clear. If they blocked the recess would fill with rain water and go in your tank as soon as you opened the cap. Also if they blocked they'd fill with water and eventually rot through and then every time it rained you'd get water in your petrol. Mine did this and the "repair" was to use fish tank air pipe. You pushed it through and then araldited it at the top. Strimmer wire was the kiddie to push through. IIRC it exited at teh back of the tank under the seat?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Thanks for that,I've read on the forums of that pipe becoming clogged & rotting.Time to invest in some strimmer cord :thumbup:
tricol

Post by tricol »

I'd love an SV one day, same generation as yours. Nice thread.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Seeing as it's hosing down outside I just checked the front cylinder valve clearances,both the INL & EXH clearances were just above minimum.I'll keep riding the bike for a while & take the cams out at the back end of the year.
Access to the front cylinder is a bit of a PITA,I had to take the radiator off & drain the cooling system,I decided that this would be a good time to check the plugs.It's a twin plug head & both plugs looked a bit yellow ochre,never seen plugs this colour before :wtf:
The bike's always ran great,& the only mod that I'm aware of is the Black Widow silencer.

I checked the rear cylinder plugs the other day & they were nothing unusual,anyone know why the front cylinder's plugs are this colour?
From what I've read doing the shims on these is a bit awkward as the access to the cam chain tensioners isn't easy so I'm tempted to just take the motor out when I do the shims