Plastic Plod

Anything you like about motorbikes
wheelnut

Re: Plastic Plod

Post by wheelnut »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 pm I may have had a GT185 registered as a 125, mostly for reasons of cost, it certainly wasn't for performance reasons.
Yep, I was tooling round on a GT185 when I perhaps shouldn’t have been.

Ahh, the good old days. :mrgreen:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:59 pm
Skub wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:54 pm In the 70s it wasn't uncommon for riders to have a provisional licence and ride whatever they wanted.

250 badges on 750 triple was an easy touch,I had a YR5 350 Yam with YDS7 250 badges. The cops didn't know or never looked.
Even in the 80's the majority of cops had no clue on bike license laws as i was stopped a couple of times and blagged my way out of it despite a complete lack of license , insurance or MOT as there were no online databases and everything was in paper form and took an eternity to even check on the spot.

Yoof nowadays havent got a hope against ANPR, portable fingerprint readers and databases which are interlinked and available at the touch of a roadside button
How did he avoid detection for 35 years,given modern tech? Remember recently the old boy who'd been at it for 70 years before being nollered?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

wheelnut wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:38 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:24 pm I may have had a GT185 registered as a 125, mostly for reasons of cost, it certainly wasn't for performance reasons.
Yep, I was tooling round on a GT185 when I perhaps shouldn’t have been.

Ahh, the good old days. :mrgreen:
I was so badass I rode a 150cc Vespa that still had 125cc on the log book.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

When I got my full license I upgraded to a 125.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:38 pm How did he avoid detection for 35 years,given modern tech? Remember recently the old boy who'd been at it for 70 years before being nollered?
TBF I haven't been asked to produce my licence for err....15 years now.....touch wood. I've never been asked to produce it when I wasn't already breaking the law (i.e. speeding).

ANPR etc primarily catches vehicles doesn't it, not people?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:38 pm
Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:59 pm
Even in the 80's the majority of cops had no clue on bike license laws as i was stopped a couple of times and blagged my way out of it despite a complete lack of license , insurance or MOT as there were no online databases and everything was in paper form and took an eternity to even check on the spot.

Yoof nowadays havent got a hope against ANPR, portable fingerprint readers and databases which are interlinked and available at the touch of a roadside button
How did he avoid detection for 35 years, given modern tech? Remember recently the old boy who'd been at it for 70 years before being nollered?
If the bike was legally registered, taxed and insured which can all be bought without a license then there is little to flag up as i assume with the bike liveried up like that he probably rode to the limits. On insurance you get asked how long you have held a license and if its 35 years and you have not moved house means you can be on paper records not digital. All of the above wont raise any ANPR flags.

I know it says he was uninsured so he was lucky to avoid ANPR hits although being on a bike helps as a lot of the readers hit front plates which bikes dont have ;)

Once he was stopped it all comes out in the wash
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:24 pm I got my bike licence at 16. My car licence was much later and may have driven before then ;)

Somebody had to drive the race van :D
Likewise. Got my my bike licence at 16, passed at 17 and didn't pass my car test until about 10 years later and passed first time.

Probably because I'd had plenty of practice driving on a provisional (unsupervised) for the previous 6 months...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:55 pm
Skub wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:38 pm How did he avoid detection for 35 years,given modern tech? Remember recently the old boy who'd been at it for 70 years before being nollered?
TBF I haven't been asked to produce my licence for err....15 years now.....touch wood. I've never been asked to produce it when I wasn't already breaking the law (i.e. speeding).

ANPR etc primarily catches vehicles doesn't it, not people?
I think it must be the thick end of 30 years since I’ve been the wrong side of a Bobby at the roadside.

Surprising really. :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't even have mine on me alot of the time, come to think of it. With the advent of Google Pay I'm often wallet free.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:27 am I don't even have mine on me alot of the time, come to think of it. With the advent of Google Pay I'm often wallet free.
I never have mine with me. I have to remind myself to take mine when I go abroad. When I got back from the US in 2020, I thought I'd lost it - I didn't find it till late last year when I needed ID to pick up a parcel where someone'd underpaid postage by 15p :)

The last time I got stopped - in the camper of all things. I was pulled for a full document / passport check by a road block in France that was stopping all non-French reg'd vehicles... this was pre-Brexshit by the way.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My dad still had the ratty old bit of paper he got when we last moved house and changed address in the early 90s. He still doesn't have a photo licence.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:23 am My dad still had the ratty old bit of paper he got when we last moved house and changed address in the early 90s. He still doesn't have a photo licence.
I held on to mine for as long as possible :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I've not got a photo licence, we moved down to Essex in '95 so that was the last time it was changed. Can cause a bit of confusion when getting hire cars or being asked for I.D. Not been stopped for years, last time was in a group of 20 or so, all going to a local bike meet. Luckily I was in the middle of the group with an ex traffic cop, he started asking the police why we had been randomly stopped and for what reason. We got let go without them checking the bikes which was a good job, because although my RD250LC was in perfect condition it wasn't taxed,insured or MOT'd at the time and I'd just got it out to go for the group ride with some other classic bikes.