Spad luggage - anyone used it?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: Spad luggage - anyone used it?

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:20 am
Rockburner wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:51 am I've seen a couple of bikes in London with tool-chest topboxes in the past.
The only real difference could be that in the event of a spill a Givi might be less likely to spoil open?
Not IME. I had a Givi topbox where the lock was iffy. A smart blow would usually have it flying open.
Older Krauser-like R series panniers were renowned for flying off at speed. Luckily, when new crated bikes were delivered, the bike was held in place by tie-down straps - ideal for restraining the pannier :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:28 am
Probably need to put a drain hole in it and use dry bags for your kit though. Might keep the water out for a while but I don't think they'll be as watertight as a proper top-box. (Screwfix have/had some cheaper Stanley Fatmax boxes - bought a stack of 3, on wheels for the price of that Dewalt in the Jan sale).
Ha - you've never used BMW luggage, clearly.

Had some on a borrowed K1100RS over in the US - was warned they leaked like a sieve.

For years I had a plastic pirate chest on the back of the courier bike.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:49 pm
Probably need to put a drain hole in it and use dry bags for your kit though. Might keep the water out for a while but I don't think they'll be as watertight as a proper top-box. (Screwfix have/had some cheaper Stanley Fatmax boxes - bought a stack of 3, on wheels for the price of that Dewalt in the Jan sale).

Had some on a borrowed K1100RS over in the US - was warned they leaked like a sieve.

LOL. Had (different) BMW luggage on 4 bikes. No leaks. Swapped the BMW luggage for Al Jesse ally panniers on the GS - had them fitted in Germany, rode back to Luxembourg and parked overnight. It rained. 1" of water in each pannier. :lol: (It was only a matter of adjusting the lids though, but I used dry-bags in them from then on).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:49 pm

And for a long term viewpoint: I've had BMW system panniers for over 10 years (more than one set) and they've only leaked when closed hamfistedly*, otherwise they're drier than anything.

* If the seals get damaged yes they leak, but then that's the same with any seal.
non quod, sed quomodo