Back protector now mandatory...

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Re: Back protector now mandatory...

Post by Yorick »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm
Alan PBTD wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm We're in on this likewise MSV and NL
Taff's right in both points.
We looked at it donkeys ago but it got binned because of operational complexities. So the main challenge is to come up with a simple / fast system to check that the rider is wearing one at each particular time - i.e. ''each time they go on track''.

We have some idea's but will be interested in what u lot come up - with so over to you !

ta
Not hard - they check you as you go out in pairs from pit lane, so "tap tap" on the back takes seconds and if there's no confirmation then the rider pulls to the side.
Simple.
Anyway - only an idiot would go out on a track (or the road tbh) without something that will help prevent them becoming a paraplegic.
I've never worn one in 46 years. Nearly 50 track crashes.

When I was racing nobody wore them. I never saw any back injuries in those 8 years.
dern

Post by dern »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 pm

When I was racing nobody wore them. I never saw any back injuries in those 8 years.
2xtwins

Post by 2xtwins »

"NEW for 2022 - All riders must be wearing a full-length back protector"

Quoted from MSV....As said already, this will be tricky to enforce and I'm interested as to how one defines a "full length back protector".

I'm not sure I would call any of the back protectors I've see in two piece suits full length. I ditched the back protector that came with my Scott two-piece in favour of a Forcefield item which is significantly longer.

Kev
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

2xtwins wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:04 pm I'm interested as to how one defines a "full length back protector
One that covers at least 72% zone of protection related to the waist to shoulder measure of the largest user indicated by the marking.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

A lot of leathers do come with those foamy sorts. Be interesting to see if these will pass or have we all got to buy proper ones. What's next I wonder. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Regarding brake lever. If you're that close on a trackday, black flag should be out.
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Another one of the "i have 2 piece leathers with a foamy protector thing" but i also have a proper back protector from my 1 piece leather days i could dig out and use if needed

Edit: Just checked and my Alpinestars jacket has a thin foam protector and a yellow squidgy CE marked type protector as well. Interestingly the pocket both are contained in says "Warning, This foam is not a protector, please use one of our CE marked products as a protector" so i assume the yellow one is an additional one
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It could open a can of worms.
If the TDOs says it's OK, and the rider gets injured, they could sue.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm My own back injury came from landing on my coccyx, a back protector wouldn't have helped, some sort of armoured pants might have.
See - I call bullshit on that.
The Knox one I used previously on track covers the coccyx. It’s specifically designed to. It’s their “race” one. As does the Alpinestars one that replaced it.
But yes, armoured trousers with a coccyx protector in them would cover that as well.
D3O, Banana, etc are so cheap now there’s zero excuse to not have more than the basic rubber stuff many manufacturers throw in there to “comply”
As for those that say they don’t wear one as it makes their leathers too tight. Seriously? That’s your argument/excuse?
Salad - maybe you should try it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:34 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:13 pm My own back injury came from landing on my coccyx, a back protector wouldn't have helped, some sort of armoured pants might have.
The Knox one I used previously on track covers the coccyx. It’s specifically designed to. It’s their “race” one. As does the Alpinestars one that replaced it.
But yes, armoured trousers with a coccyx protector in them would cover that as well.
D3O, Banana, etc are so cheap now there’s zero excuse to not have more than the basic rubber stuff many manufacturers throw in there to “comply”
As for those that say they don’t wear one as it makes their leathers too tight. Seriously? That’s your argument/excuse?
Kin 'ell. When did you get put in charge ?
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:32 pm It could open a can of worms.
Quite simple answer to that one - it’s a certified L1/2 device that they can verify in seconds on Google if need be.
The disclaimer stops them being sued as you’re signing to say you agree to wear one.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:36 pm
Quite simple answer to that one - it’s a certified L1/2 device that they can verify in seconds on Google if need be.
The disclaimer stops them being sued as you’re signing to say you agree to wear one.
This is nearly as dull as the counter steering nerds.
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

dern wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:34 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:15 pm

What an absolute croc.
I saw loads in my time including several who went on to be well known
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Being a prick for the sake of it or are you always one?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm

Explain why?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

For 100 years folk have raced bikes.
Helmets, gloves, boots leathers have been compulsory.
Great.
There are no stats to say how good back protectors are.

But suddenly you'll die if you nip to the ships without one.
dern

Post by dern »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm
PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:41 pm

Explain why?
Are you genuinely oblivious to how abrasive you come across? :lol:

Anyway, whatever, takes all sorts. I find counter steering and the physics interesting.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm

if you nip to the ships without one.
Is that not a line out a Pink Floyd song?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm There are no stats to say how good back protectors are.
Dunno about that, i bet there's loads.

It's probably the reason that chest protectors (and back) are mandatory in MotoGP for example.

Simple fact is, loads on here do trackday, loads on here WILL do trackdays next year...

Therefore, loads on here will be subject to the rules

Of these people, some already have them fitted in their leathers, some already have an aftermarket, some may not have one at all.

Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..

But all of them need to know what the criteria are to pass and be allowed out. because you can't risk turning up and being turned away.

That's why this discussion is interesting.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:34 pm
TBF it 100% depends on how he landed. I read "injury came from landing on my coccyx" - if he means, as I think he does, that it was more of a vertical land, how would a back protector help? It would just ride up with the vertical force, no?

I'm not disagreeing that it is sensible to wear one - I specifically dug mine out to put with my leathers (and textiles and road hoody!) for the spring. However it isn't the be all and end all for all accidents to prevent back injuries. As it is now a requirement for track, the argument is basically moot. We will have to wear one. But there will still be random back injuries that a back protector just can't prevent

But calling 'bullshit' on someone's injury/accident when you didn't see it/don't know all about it is a bit rude, no? Or were you there?

And yes, Yorick can come across as abrasive (Yorkshire I guess?), but you do have that edge yourself - along with a few other people!! No point shouting the odds about how you read something that someone has written when your posts can be read similarly?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:43 am Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..
Have emailed MSV to ask about air bags.