Man’s Best Friend

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Gimlet

Re: Man’s Best Friend

Post by Gimlet »

I don't have a dog but I used to keep ferrets. For some reason there seems to be a tradition for giving hob ferrets unlikely human names.
My hob was a fairly ordinary Percy and I've certainly known ferrets called Nigel. Generally names like Norman, Cedric, Gerald, Walter, Robert and Maurice are common. No idea why.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Gimlet wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:10 am I don't have a dog but I used to keep ferrets. For some reason there seems to be a tradition for giving hob ferrets unlikely human names.
My hob was a fairly ordinary Percy and I've certainly known ferrets called Nigel. Generally names like Norman, Cedric, Gerald, Walter, Robert and Maurice are common. No idea why.
My last hob was called Lummox...
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Here's our two bellends.

The big one is Gram, named after the singer Gram Parsons. Technically, like Parsons, his full name is Ingram, but he's Gram, usually Grammy, or Grammybear, Grambleberry etc etc etc. He's about as big as a house although slightly less intelligent.

The little mad spaniel is Pi, named after, y'know, the number. She died suddenly a few weeks ago of an undetected cancer.
Attachments
Pi.jpg
Pi.jpg (125.46 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Slenver wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:09 am Here's our two bellends.

The big one is Gram, named after the singer Gram Parsons. Technically, like Parsons, his full name is Ingram, but he's Gram, usually Grammy, or Grammybear, Grambleberry etc etc etc. He's about as big as a house although slightly less intelligent.

The little mad spaniel is Pi, named after, y'know, the number. She died suddenly a few weeks ago of an undetected cancer.
Oh not another loss. Sorry to hear that. :cry:

What a fabulous picture! :thumbup:

My brother had a spaniel, also sadly no longer with us but they are utterly bonkers aren't they? :P :lol:
Last edited by WelshDragon on Thu May 14, 2020 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Treadeager wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:02 am Sorry to hear about your recent losses Chillit !

Here's our three . All rescues/rehomed . Luna ( Carpathian Shepherd dog , a Romanian rescue ) , about ten . Badger the Collie cross , the old boy at about 14 . Barney the white/tan border collie , also about 10 , my old agility dog . We tend to inherit their names ( unless there may be a good reason for changing it ).
I love the way the two at the back have 'matching' paws out poses. :lol:
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

WelshDragon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 10:54 am
Treadeager wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 8:02 am Sorry to hear about your recent losses Chillit !

Here's our three . All rescues/rehomed . Luna ( Carpathian Shepherd dog , a Romanian rescue ) , about ten . Badger the Collie cross , the old boy at about 14 . Barney the white/tan border collie , also about 10 , my old agility dog . We tend to inherit their names ( unless there may be a good reason for changing it ).
I love the way the two at the back have 'matching' paws out poses. :lol:
That's where I nailed 'em ! :thumbup:
Taff

Post by Taff »

WelshDragon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 am Thanks for all the lovely (and some sad) doggie posts! I’m loving seeing them all. A cheery moment in the day.

Wheelnut - we have a couple of Dachshunds down the road from us, one smooth haired and one wire haired. The boy, Schubert, has a bark that can split your ear drum and he uses it, a lot!

Taff - do you run Jack dog agility competitions and has he won any? I’m thinking of the ones I’ve seen on Crufts.....

Silly Car - lovely dog what breed is he? :think:

1888 - I hope your Jana can’t read! So very rude about her! :lol:
Yes, all of our dogs compete. Me and Jack used to run at the highest level of UK competition, and our son did well with him in the YKC (Young Kennel Club) agility dog of the year by getting to the finals at Crufts twice.

unfortunately Jack dislocated his hip during competition last year, it was a real freak accident that needed an operation to tie is joint back together. He won't do any more jumping because of this but he still runs around like a complete loon on daily walks.

Ianto is showing promise that he'll achieve more than Jack did. he's more powerful than jack and also has the ability to control that power. His dad and grandad have done exceptionally well in sheep dog trialling, Ianto's dad was 2nd in the world champs 2017 :clap:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

WelshDragon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 am Thanks for all the lovely (and some sad) doggie posts! I’m loving seeing them all. A cheery moment in the day.

Wheelnut - we have a couple of Dachshunds down the road from us, one smooth haired and one wire haired. The boy, Schubert, has a bark that can split your ear drum and he uses it, a lot!

Taff - do you run Jack dog agility competitions and has he won any? I’m thinking of the ones I’ve seen on Crufts.....

Silly Car - lovely dog what breed is he? :think:

Hugo is a Fox Red Labrador from working, rather than show, bloodlines, which will hopefully mean he’ll retain much of the appearance he has in the 10 week picture rather than the more typical rounded lab look.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

WelshDragon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 am
Yeah, they do have a ridiculously loud bark for their size. And they know how to use it. She’s not yappy, but the world does explode if someone dares to knock on HER door or the birds decide to take a bath in the waterfall in HER garden.

Chillitt - Sorry :(
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

My two friends. Lazy boys they are in warm sunshine. Leo on the throne and Ninja stretching out.

Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

1888 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:49 pm
WelshDragon wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:52 am

She still cant read even though just reaching 10. 10 is not bad for a rottie but arthritis in the hips and cruciate disease me thinks she will be getting a dunt with a shovel soon :D
:shock:

Shame when they start to deteriorate. At 70 though (if the 7 years per 1 human year is true) not doing too badly?
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

the_priest wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 am My two friends. Lazy boys they are in warm sunshine. Leo on the throne and Ninja stretching out.

Well they’ll be enjoying this week then! Your strawberries look like they’re doing well! :D
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

We have three pots of strawberries. They do produce a nice crop when the season comes around. Both cats are lurking in the lounge expecting more breakfast, but we are enforcing the diet!
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I haven't had a dog since I was in my 20's. But we had a Lab when we were growing up who was called Jason!!

When he was getting old my Mum got another one called Dylan (from the Magic Roundabout, Dylan Thomas or Bob Dylan - depending on who in the family you asked!!)

After Jason died, SDad bought Mum a Great Dane puppy. Who spent his whole life being called Puppy! I think it started cos he was The puppy and then started to answer to it! I also suspect it made my parents laugh calling out for Puppy in front of other people when he got to full size (still small for a Dane tho)

I had a Lab for a few years when living with a boyfriend - the dog was called Chester!!

We did have stupid names for dogs!! LOL

But, my cats had equally stupid names - Goblin was Gizmo's kitten!

When Gizmo left I had a kitten called Ghost (very pale grey long hair) But she was often called Essex or Bimbo - as well as the pale grey fur she had white paws and walked very daintily, so looked like she could be an essex cat in white stilettos!! LOL

Before that I had Smokey Joe (English Blue Shorthair) & Tilly

If I ever get another cat, I can't imagine I'll be any more sensible!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Young Drax in bike shop training:

Ands the whole canine family at the beach, Chewie, the scabby old brindle, Ahsoka, the pretty/STUBBORN blue and hound Drax again:
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."