Slime.???

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Yorick

Re: Slime.???

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 pm
Taff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 pm presta to Schrader adaptors are 2 for £1 with free postage on ebay.
I still have no idea why the skinny ones are better ????
I have no idea, but yes you could put slime in. But we stopped doing that a decade ago and now no one uses tubes, at all, ever.

I'll try and find out why though.

You can get a converter for compressor
So nobody uses them skinny valves either ?

Can I convert my wheels to tubeless ?

I'd like some way to be able to use them aerosol puncture repair thingies.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Apparently, the skinny valve can take higher pressure and requires a smaller hole in rim for those skinny road wheels. The car type are for lower pressure, mountain bikes. However, my lad just bought hybrid bike 27.5 tyre and came with good valve, car, and recommended pressure 85 to 95. Plenty hard enough. There's no weight in a pedal bike, why pressure go 110 > psi I'll never know.

Just read all that.
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 pm Apparently, the skinny valve can take higher pressure and requires a smaller hole in rim for those skinny road wheels. The car type are for lower pressure, mountain bikes. However, my lad just bought hybrid bike 27.5 tyre and came with good valve, car, and recommended pressure 85 to 95. Plenty hard enough. There's no weight in a pedal bike, why pressure go 110 > psi I'll never know.

Just read all that.
Aha. Thanks. But Mr Weeksy_boss_type_bloke says that nobody use inner tubes now.

Now I am confused. I'll drill a bigger hole in the wheel and put a proper inner tube in. That will make me bruvver cry coz he paid plenty for the wheelz :mrgreen:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Ive had the skinny Presta valves on decent race/time trial bikes since I was 14 years old and I'm 48 now so they are by no means new.
Pretty sure they'd been used for 700x23 tyres for quite some years before then as well.

As far as I've been told they are better for the higher 110 PSI or so pressures used on the skinny road tyres. I'm not riding the Paris-Roubaix cobbled stages so thats more or less the pressure I use. Nor am I on a smooth velodrome where they use 140 or so.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:22 pm

Can I convert my wheels to tubeless ?

I'd like some way to be able to use them aerosol puncture repair thingies.
Maybe. Sorta. But you'd really need some tubeless tyres.

Tubeless is one of them things you either need to embrace or not, you can't go into it half arsed. Right setup, right tyres and it will do you proud.... Arse about and you may as well not bother and just carry spare tubes.

The ones you find in cars ?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

You cyclist folk will know this, but make sure you put enough pressure in them. When I was using a road bike ( old racing bike ) I got a few snake bites. On bumpy bits the tube pinches the rim and you get 2 holes in tube. So I'm gonna stick to recommended pressures, with easy valves. 👍

My new bike out for despatch. 🙂👍
Yamaha rocket 3
millemille

Post by millemille »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:17 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:58 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 7:52 pm

I'm confused. You can't put slime in. And you can't use one of them squirty air canisters for a puncture. There must be an advantage, but can't see it.
I'm lost now. In what?
Sorry. Can't see the point in them skinny new valves. Dunno the name.

You can't put slime in. And you can't use one of them squirty air canisters for a puncture. There must be an advantage, but can't see it.

I've got a 12v compressor and can't use that :(

I'm genuinely interested.
Skinny valve are called presta valves, car type are called schraeder valves.

You can put slime in with presta's - you just unscrew the valve core, same as you would do for a schraeder.

You can use gas cylinders for blowing them up.

The cycle industry moved en masse to presta's many, many years ago. The principle advantage is you don't have such a big hole - a weak point - in the rim.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:18 am You cyclist folk will know this, but make sure you put enough pressure in them. When I was using a road bike ( old racing bike ) I got a few snake bites. On bumpy bits the tube pinches the rim and you get 2 holes in tube. So I'm gonna stick to recommended pressures, with easy valves. 👍

My new bike out for despatch. 🙂👍
Yeah, thats why I'm putting about 110 PSI in mine.
To be fair, I did it when I was time trialing as a teenager, just because thats what everyone did and to lessen rolling resistance, now I'm at the heavier end of the spectrum for cyclists (got some pies to move as well) it just makes even more sense.

With wider tyres (mine are 23mm or thereabouts so skinny) I would likely use less pressure and mountain bikes far less cos less pressure but a wider area still avoids pinch flats. There's more to contact patch size and area but I don't want to do a full Hambini* on it.

I've never really got into mountain bikes cos it pretty much involves a drive out before I can even start enjoying my ride but on a roadbike I'm on it and away from right outside my front door and Strava knocked on within quarter of a mile so's not to start my tracking at my house.

I use Strava (phone app) because it shows up any improvements (as well as days when a particular section had a tailwind) I make and on any given one theres always a bit where next time I can try slightly harder to beat it. I have absolutely zero illusions about getting to the top of the speed lists but its amusing to see people I know on there and try to beat them.

*Very scientific Youtube chap
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I run 20psi in my boys tyres, 25 in mine and the wife's
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Tubeless, more grip, less punctures, any that don't seal can be fixed with an anchovy unless it is a really being tear.

I run 21psi F (2.6 Rekon) and 30 psi R (2.2 Honey Badger). Mrs M's Levo is 21F and 25R (2.5 specialized things)
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
demographic

Post by demographic »

weeksy wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 8:58 am I run 20psi in my boys tyres, 25 in mine and the wife's
Wider than 23mm then eh?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Lol yes, just a bit.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:04 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:01 pm
Taff wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 9:29 pm presta to Schrader adaptors are 2 for £1 with free postage on ebay.
I still have no idea why the skinny ones are better ????
I have no idea, but yes you could put slime in. But we stopped doing that a decade ago and now no one uses tubes, at all, ever.

I'll try and find out why though.

You can get a converter for compressor
They used to be know as High Pressure valves in the old days - I guess they could hold higher pressure then !
But that is not really the point now.