Do you just go for a ride?

Anything you like about motorbikes
636mick

Re: Do you just go for a ride?

Post by 636mick »

Yep. I don’t commute on the bike except occasionally, haven’t been able to go on tour for a bit so I just get on and go. Normally use fast roads to get out of the county, then spot somewhere I’ve rarely or never been and go there. I ride alone so no discussions needed, all my choice.
When I go abroad I usually book a hotel or campsite somewhere I want to go, then spend a few days getting there. I have sat nav but rarely use it. Again being alone helps with the decision making, found some really nice places, also some shitholes but it’s all good fun either way.
Mick
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

David wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:07 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:12 am 50/50
I was planning on popping over to Aberystwyth today, but it's raining over there, so I'll just have a wee hour out around the countryside instead today.
Phew....lucky escape!
Shhhhh, it's supposed to be nicer tomorrow
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 4:48 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:12 am 50/50
I was planning on popping over to Aberystwyth today, but it's raining over there, so I'll just have a wee hour out around the countryside instead today.
Phew....lucky escape!
Must resist ;)
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Phew....lucky escape!
Must resist ;)
21 degree's is perfect for a bimble to the seaside in my mesh jacket, arrive nice and relaxed rather than a stinkin' sweaty mess, you can keep your weather you're welcome to it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:54 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:06 pm

Must resist ;)
21 degree's is perfect for a bimble to the seaside in my mesh jacket, arrive nice and relaxed rather than a stinkin' sweaty mess, you can keep your weather you're welcome to it.
26c today and it's what we're used to. Just normal to us.
Potter

Post by Potter »

tricol wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:52 am Pretty much. It's what I wanted motorbike ownership to be like.
Same.
At least now anyway, when I was younger it was essential transport, but now it's an escape - although it getting less and less an escape, too many rules, too many speed cameras, etc.

That's why I like sailing so much, I get on my boat and if I actually wanted to (and stocked up food/water) I could sail in zig zags around the planet until I needed to come in for food/water in six months or so and there are no rules saying I can't do whatever I want whilst I'm out there.
Druid

Post by Druid »

I occasionally commute, it's 10 miles each way and half of it is dual carriageway but the other half makes up for it. Otherwise it's all for fun. I plan maybe half of them, if you can call "Go to Devil's Bridge for a cuppa" a plan. Like Skub I'm a fan of early mornings, I used to work nights and I'd get home at about 5am and take the bike out, but I can't get up that early these days. 7am starts on a Sunday are good though.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:17 pm
26c today and it's what we're used to. Just normal to us.
Same here, its what we are used to :mrgreen:

Even though i use the bikes for work, when i have time off i just get on and go and see where it takes me. I rarely plan much in advance and make it up as i go along. Been busy at home all day today so as no work tomorrow i'll probably get in a couple of hours on the bike :thumbup:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

I've made an effort to ride more recently - thing about living in inner London is it takes a while to get out and can take the enjoyment out of it - A BT headset connected to a friend is great but I also go out on my own as well .
I rode into work today which takes 10 mins in 20 mph limits .....
I've done a tiny bit of touring in France with friends - this can be great but can also be an arseache .
When the weather was boiling hot recently I went out early to High Beech just to sit in the woods and have a cup of tea
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Nope, I rarely ride and when I do I get annoyed with traffic and rules. I don’t want to be caught wheelying or speeding and as I have no self control it’s better I don’t ride. For me the risks far outweighs the pleasure, it’s why I ride my mtb now as there’s basically no rules, I can ride how I want and almost where I want with no concerned. It’s also great on the social side too.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

I very rarely just go for a ride, but make as many excuses to use the bikes as I can, been on a few group evening rides recently but they really don't do anything for me, for me bikes are about freedom to do as you wish when you wish. Used to use a bike for work but most of my jobs are in London these days and I can't be arsed with that.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

ive not just been for a ride for quite a while, 5 months ago in fact, ive taken the slightly longer way home from work a few times but that's an extra mile so not sure it counts, but it was on the from though, been cycling more, but hoping a new bike will sort that, oh and moving back down south.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am
I also meticulously plan group rides and tours where I know exactly where we'll be starting, stopping, distances between petrol stops etc.
Wow, why? I would think that takes the joy out of riding. What happens if you find a road closure? Or a afe or petrol station is closed? How badly are your plans thrown if you get slow service at a cafe?

I have done many, many trips across Europe and all we ever have is a time to start, a hotel to end at, and a rough route of 200-300 miles (sometimes less) depending on the type of roads we will use

We stop when someone sees somewhere interesting to look at or a cafe to refresh at. Worrying that you are 20 minutes behind must play on your mind and take away the pleasure.

But each to their own.
DefTrap wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:36 pm One of the 'coming out of lockdown conditions' recently was that you weren't allowed > than 15k from your home 'without good reason' - so a rough scoping of the villages that popped up on the circumference, and then a happy couple of hours forcing myself to go down unexplored backroads. :)
During lockdown here I was not allowed to cross any border out of the Valencia Autonomy and into another like Murcia, which is just 32 kms away from me.

But then Valencia is 23,255 km²-by comparison, Essex is 3,670 km²......
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Whysub wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:03 pm
But then Valencia is 23,255 km²-by comparison, Essex is 3,670 km²......
And hopefully a lot nicer
Honda Owner
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Whysub wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:03 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 11:31 am
I also meticulously plan group rides and tours where I know exactly where we'll be starting, stopping, distances between petrol stops etc.
Wow, why? I would think that takes the joy out of riding. What happens if you find a road closure? Or a afe or petrol station is closed? How badly are your plans thrown if you get slow service at a cafe?

I have done many, many trips across Europe and all we ever have is a time to start, a hotel to end at, and a rough route of 200-300 miles (sometimes less) depending on the type of roads we will use

We stop when someone sees somewhere interesting to look at or a cafe to refresh at. Worrying that you are 20 minutes behind must play on your mind and take away the pleasure.

But each to their own.

I give a lot of pleasure to a lot of bikers who can't or don't want to do it for themselves or they like touring as a group. I lead rides and tours. If you're leading people across a country, it's raining and they're tired you have to give the impression that you know what you're doing and where you're going or they'll have a mental breakdown. All of the above happens, people breakdown, people have accidents, roads get closed but trust me - I'm calm, collected and deal with it like a pro while keeping everyone happy. I have had a big and positive impact on people - helped them create moments and friendships that they will never forget.

I just ride to be honest. Ride on my own, ride with no plan, ride with a plan, find roads I dont know, doing the roads I know I love, riding on my own, with a couple of friends, leading big groups. All of it!!!
Last edited by Trinity765 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lockdown refugee
Felix

Post by Felix »

I did when i had a bike in the road. Probably next year and i will again. No real plan just somewhere i have not been in a while. Good destress getting a couple of hours on the bike or longer at weekends. Cant say traffic bothers me as much as others its all just part of driving/riding. Pass them and get on with your day. Roll on next year and ill have more time to work on the bike or even winter if i can find time to extend the shed.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:45 pm
I give a lot of pleasure to a lot of bikers who can't or don't want to do it for themselves or they like touring as a group. I lead rides and tours. If you're leading people across a country, it's raining and they're tired you have to give the impression that you know what you're doing and where you're going or they'll have a mental breakdown. All of the above happens, people breakdown, people have accidents, roads get closed but trust me - I'm calm, collected and deal with it like a pro while keeping everyone happy. I have had a big and positive impact on people - helped them create moments and friendships that they will never forget.

I just ride to be honest. Ride on my own, ride with no plan, ride with a plan, find roads I dont know, doing the roads I know I love, riding on my own, with a couple of friends, leading big groups. All of it!!!
Thats all good then-sorry if that came across as a critisism of the way you lead a group. I ve seen too many big groups where they have someone blowing a whistle to get everyone to mount up.

Nothing nicer than relaxing in a nice village over a coffee when some pillock starts blowing on a whistle every 10 seconds for a couple of minutes. Something British and German groups excell at.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Less and less so, but then if its a nice sunny day, I take the convertible out. Just me, gelled hair, LV Mascots, smelling of creed, listening t kisstory and deluding myself that 30 something girlies love me! :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:51 pm Less and less so, but then if its a nice sunny day, I take the convertible out. Just me, gelled hair, LV Mascots, smelling of creed, listening t kisstory and deluding myself that 30 something girlies love me! :lol:
Thee are indeed the Pony and I claim my Mr.Soap currency. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:51 pm Less and less so, but then if its a nice sunny day, I take the convertible out. Just me, gelled hair, LV Mascots, smelling of creed, listening t kisstory and deluding myself that 30 something girlies love me! :lol:
Fark. He gets worse. Wish I was still a Mod. He'd get the ban hammer.