BUTCHERED CLASSICS: MORIWAKI TRIBUTE!

Anything you like about motorbikes
mangocrazy

Re: BUTCHERED CLASSICS: MORIWAKI TRIBUTE!

Post by mangocrazy »

No redeeming features at all. And that seat/tail unit is an abomination. I'm probably wrong, but I suspect the colour scheme is a nod to the Moriwaki Kawasaki that Graeme Crosby made his debut on at the 1979 TT. Finished 4th as a newcomer in the F1 race on a sit up and beg road(ish) bike.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:10 pm No redeeming features at all. And that seat/tail unit is an abomination. I'm probably wrong, but I suspect the colour scheme is a nod to the Moriwaki Kawasaki that Graeme Crosby made his debut on at the 1979 TT. Finished 4th as a newcomer in the F1 race on a sit up and beg road(ish) bike.
I saw him ride a Moriwaki at Scarborough the same year. It was green.
A certain Mr Sheene won all the races ;)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

This is the bike that Croz rode at the IoM. Definitely blue and yellow...
Croz_Moriwaki.jpg
Croz_Moriwaki.jpg (137.16 KiB) Viewed 379 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

inewham wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 10:32 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 5:10 pm ...I'm probably wrong, but I suspect the colour scheme is a nod to the Moriwaki Kawasaki that Graeme Crosby made his debut on at the 1979 TT. Finished 4th as a newcomer in the F1 race on a sit up and beg road(ish) bike.
Its a copy of Wayne Gardner's bike - See 4th picture down and see the name on the back of the leathers. That the bike its copying
Yep, you're right. Should have spotted that. The only Moriwaki Kawasaki I ever saw in the metal was Croz's bike, so that's what I associated the colour scheme with.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Must admit that I really like the colours.
Not sure I care if it's original or not.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:55 am I'm not sure you're allowed to put a Yoshimura sticker on a Moriwaki bike (even if it does have a Suzuki oil cooled engine). It's like crossing the streams or something.
Isn't Moriwaki married to Pop's daughter?

In related news, there's a couple of ZRX's running around with that paint scheme, one or two RaceCrafters schemes too.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:12 pm Isn't Moriwaki married to Pop's daughter?

Seems so, this from Wiki.

"Moriwaki began his career as a motorcycle racer for Hideo "Pops" Yoshimura, a respected motorcycle mechanic and tuner involved in Japanese motorcycle racing.[2][3] Moriwaki received no formal training in engineering while working for Yoshimura. Instead, he became self-taught, learning about mechanical engineering from books borrowed from his local high school.[2] Moriwaki married Namiko Yoshimura, Pops’ eldest daughter, while he was working for the company.[2][3] While working for the Yoshimura racing team, Moriwaki also successfully competed in auto racing, driving a Yoshimura-prepared Honda S800 sports car to a class victory at the 6 Hours of Fuji endurance race on July 26, 1970, and the GTS1 Class at the 1971 Japan Grand Prix.[4]

In 1971, Yoshimura made the decision to move his company to the United States to take advantage of the burgeoning American motorcycle market.[5] Moriwaki did not agree with Yoshimura and refused to leave his home in Japan.[2] This created a rift between the two men; however, within a year Yoshimura had returned to Japan and sought Moriwaki for help after he had been cheated out of all his money in a business transaction in America.[2] Moriwaki loaned Yoshimura money to re-establish himself.[2] Yoshimura would go on to establish one of the premier manufacturers of motorcycle high performance parts in the United States and became closely associated with the Suzuki racing program.[5]"
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

I don't normally comment on bespoke bikes but in this case it's lik a human skeleton with the flesh removed. There is no form it's a lump in a frame with a big hole in the middle. Totally unattractive and ticks no boxes. Just IMHO but it's pretty boring
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

In related news, Croz has a FB page & it features the old Kaw's he restores back home:

https://www.facebook.com/graemecrosby4