How many miles from your rubber?

Anything you like about motorbikes
The Spin Doctor

Re: How many miles from your rubber?

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Whysub wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:47 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:43 am Haven'r run a bike for fun only for years, so on a gentle commute my tyres last ages and often get replaced due to flattening the middle out, even though they're probably still more than legal.
I used to have a 600 mile per week commute, and was always looking for a tyre that would last rather than grip. Best I ever used were Michelin Macadams, 10,000 to 12,000 on the rear of the GSX-R750 I ran for 8 years.

Squared off to the profile of an Avon Speedmaster by the end, and with huge chicken strips. But that's the trade off of having a 95% motorway daily ride.
They weren't bad for grip, but they did take a bit of warming up on cold, wet days.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:04 pm
They weren't bad for grip, but they did take a bit of warming up on cold, wet days.
Hence the tag,Avon Skidmasters....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Skub wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:36 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:04 pm
Hence the tag,Avon Skidmasters....
I actually meant the Macadams ;)

But the Avons bring on a shudder even now. I think I used a Skidmaster on a bike precisely once when I wore the OE tyre out on my 250... as soon as I could afford it, I ditched it (quite a decision as a student) and switched to Continentals, which I used till until the Roadrunners appeared. I can't tell you how much better even the Mk 1 Roadrunner was than the Skidmasters or the Yokohamas that were standard issue on new Hondas at the time.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Beancounter wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:45 am
What are the recommended pressures for the XSR? Recommended pressures for the MT09 are 36/42 which I thought were too hard. Dropped them to 33/36 and hated it, bike didn't want to steer (Metzeler Roadtec 01).
The NC700X's recommended pressures were 36/42, whereas for the Tracer 700 they are 33/36.