Garage/Workshop Flooring Recommedations

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
mikeycee

Re: Garage/Workshop Flooring Recommedations

Post by mikeycee »

Made some good progress on this over the last week or so, with the bulk of the work now complete. The painting was horrible, and I hated every minute of it but enjoyed laying the tiles a bit more and am quite pleased with the results.

As I was pretty much only working on this during the evenings I was not able to drag everything out of the garage, so it was a case of working a section and then moving everything around to free up the next section. A little tedious lugging stuff around all of the time but worked well enough.

A few progression pics for you.....

I had some fibre underlay left over from work in the house that I have recently completed, so I thought I would put it to good use to hopefully make the place feel a little warmer.

Floor was good, giving off no dust so I gave it a thorough brushing and then a clean with some detergent on each section before laying. the front row shown here has been lightly glued to the floor with the tiles then glued to the top of the underlay and are holding well.

Front row has been sealed on the leading edge to stop any water/moisture/spiders getting underneath it and knackering things up. I am also in the process of measuring up for a rubber seal for the underside of the garage door so it meets with the tiles and seals.

So hopefully..... All being well I just need to reorganise now and get the new layout sorted as I think the space can be used better so hoping for it to be all sorted this weekend.

Thanks for all your guidance and ideas on this, its appreciated! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bloody ace job matey..nice one. Looks spot on that.

I need to invest at some stage in some new tiles and do a slightly better job on mine, i've got a couple of gaps i ought to tidy up.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Looks good! :D

I well remember the hassle of shifting everything from one side to the other to paint the floor - but well worth it in the end.

Next job - lighting... ;)
non quod, sed quomodo
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Now all ya need to do it sort that ceiling with some insulation & drywall ;)
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Forgot to ask: Is this a solitary structure or part of the house?
Druid

Post by Druid »

GuzziPaul wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:37 am I use these interlocking floor mats from halfords. https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-e ... S4QAvD_BwE
One pack was enough for the work bench area, I got a second pack during lock down to protect the laminate floor where where my office chair wheel run the rest went down the side of the garge where I work on the bikes. They are soft and the hydraulic bench wheels will dig in but you can still wheel about on them. I also have about 4 or 5 office mats they put across trailing cables in the bench area but they are more of a dust trap.
That's what I have on my garage floor, been down for about 5 or 6 years. My tool cabinets have sunk into the mats and are difficult to move. I need a piece of plywood to go under the sidestand and over the years they've moved a bit leaving gaps between the mats. They also don't stand up very well to sparks from grinding or welding. Ideally I would replace the lot and just keep a couple of mats to kneel on when I'm working on the bike but the thought of moving everything out to replace the flooring...

Image :thumbdown:
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Thanks All!

Looking forward to getting it over the line this weekend I hope :thumbup:
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:27 pm Forgot to ask: Is this a solitary structure or part of the house?
Solitary Structure this one is, so unfortunately does not benefit from the residual heat from the house. I have had some pretty bad damp issues in there also so am running a dehumidifier in there 6hrs on/6hrs off which has massively helped and solved all of the problems. I do need to look at the ceiling at some point... I have a section that is boarded which I am using as crap storage which is a huge help so not in a huge rush to do anything with it as I've nowhere to put all the stuff that's hidden away up there presently :lol:

Druid wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:57 pm
:thumbdown:
Woh :shock:

Thats some serious work there :P
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Rockburner wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:25 pm
Next job - lighting... ;)
Definitely - I got these cheap LED Strips from Ebay and have one installed above where my bench is and its really good to be fair as they were only £7. They give a good light but only in a very concentrated downward area so would need about 8 of them to put out what would be needed to light the whole room properly. There is the old Fluorescent in the middle which gives off enough light to see what I am doing but anything down low I need a work light for. Think I would need to spend out for a proper quality LED Replacement to get what I need to light the whole room properly at some point down the line.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mikeycee wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:14 pm
Solitary Structure this one is, so unfortunately does not benefit from the residual heat from the house. I have had some pretty bad damp issues in there also so am running a dehumidifier in there 6hrs on/6hrs off which has massively helped and solved all of the problems. I do need to look at the ceiling at some point... I have a section that is boarded which I am using as crap storage which is a huge help so not in a huge rush to do anything with it as I've nowhere to put all the stuff that's hidden away up there presently :lol:
Probably a slight ballache, but can you build a breezeway to connect it to the house?
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:48 pm Probably a slight ballache, but can you build a breezeway to connect it to the house?
To be honest, probably a bit too far. Its not adjacent to the house, but at the far end of the garden - So like maybe 10 or 15 Meters away I think - But that would have been the ideal solution to be honest!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Managed to get pretty much sorted over the weekend as I had hoped for. Happy with the results, I have much more useable width now with more effective use of the space available:

Actually feels like a room now, not a cold draughty shell - So that will do me for now! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

That's one of the unseen benefits of a good redcorate - lets you re-think the way everything is laid out and you can optimise. :)
non quod, sed quomodo
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm That's one of the unseen benefits of a good redcorate - lets you re-think the way everything is laid out and you can optimise. :)
Definitely! Like working with a clean slate.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

looks bloody great that does, if I was not moving, id have a go and try it as well.
CBR650r :mrgreen: