What's your tipple currently ?

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Slenver

Re: What's your tipple currently ?

Post by Slenver »

I find it amusing that as I get older I seem to focus more and more on the things I like. I like a very wide range of beers for example, but basically buy one specific one (in some bulk) because it's the one I like best. I do occasionally buy a range of others to try and steer me back into variety, but my middle-aged self apparently knows what it likes and isn't that interested.

So it's Adnams Ease Up for me, and red wine. I don't just stick to a specific wine, but it does have to be Shiraz or Malbec :)

Plus the odd scotch (or Japanese).
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

What it's been for the last few decades - predominantly red wine; mainly French but also highly rate Portuguese, Italian and Argentinian red wine. Favourite grape is probably Syrah, but very much liking the southern French 'holy trinity' blend of Syrah, Grenache and Mourvedre. Also partial to a chilled white or rose when paired with seafood or grilled fish.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

Got a selection of home brews to choose from, a dark ale, an American IPA and an English IPA. Cans of Stella in the fridge if I just want something cold.
Still got some of the 2 cases of Trappist Westvleteren that I collected from the monastery in November 2019 left.
That was the last proper trip on the bike, had a day out with the wife, early tunnel, beautiful still, cold, clear day. We stopped in Ypres for breakfast and had a walk around - very special place.
We went at our allotted time to join the queue, funnily enough the only motorcycle there, can't think why! Started distributing all the bottles around the luggage and went to hand one of the crates back to the monk and he asked whether we intended buying some more in the future - yes, why's that I replied, if you don't bring the empties back in the crates it will be assumed that you have been selling it and you will be banned from further purchase!
The wife had one of the crates on her lap all the way home, not happy! Obviously the bottles were safely stashed in the luggage :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Slenver wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:47 pmAdnams Ease
I like that a lot. Must admit though I tried some of the Crystal Rye IPA last night from the selection box and I'm damned if I could tell much of a difference to Ghost Ship. Find that with a lot of Adnams ales, they are very samey. Good in a fashion as I like them, but not much variety!

Having said that I also tried the Old Ale and that's very different.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 am
I like that a lot. Must admit though I tried some of the Crystal Rye IPA last night from the selection box and I'm damned if I could tell much of a difference to Ghost Ship. Find that with a lot of Adnams ales, they are very samey. Good in a fashion as I like them, but not much variety!

I do find it a bit odd that Adnams make so many similar IPAs, but they are all subtly different I guess. I like Ghost Ship, and that's their more famous one I guess, but Ease Up is much nicer. Ghost ship is a little soft, there's a slightly harder edge to Ease Up, though I don't know if those words mean anything :)
I think I just find Ease Up to have my perfect balance of strength, hoppiness etc. My previous favourite was St Peter's IPA (also, strangely from Suffolk, no idea if there's a connection), but it's impossible to find and I preferred Ease Up when I found it.
bevvo

Post by bevvo »

As I live near Nottingham, I'll give a nod to Elsie Mo from Castle Rock. Not sure if its available all over.

During lockdown I'm limiting my choice to what Sainburys will deliver. Their own 'taste the difference' IPAs are as good as anything.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Slenver wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:24 am
Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:41 am

I do find it a bit odd that Adnams make so many similar IPAs, but they are all subtly different I guess. I like Ghost Ship, and that's their more famous one I guess, but Ease Up is much nicer. Ghost ship is a little soft, there's a slightly harder edge to Ease Up, though I don't know if those words mean anything :)
I think I just find Ease Up to have my perfect balance of strength, hoppiness etc. My previous favourite was St Peter's IPA (also, strangely from Suffolk, no idea if there's a connection), but it's impossible to find and I preferred Ease Up when I found it.
Yes I went through a phase of buying Ease Up all the time, but decided to switch it up a bit recently. Funnily enough I avoided it for ages as I thought the label/logo was really crap :lol: Definitely a case of judging a book by its cover!

Really like the Mosaic Pale Ale although again it's definitely a variation on a theme!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

bevvo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 am As I live near Nottingham, I'll give a nod to Elsie Mo from Castle Rock. Not sure if its available all over.
Must admit I wish I had a decent local brewer, a few of my mates live High Wycombe way and get fresh beer deliveries from Rebellion in Marlow, free delivery and they take away the empties too.

McMullens is in Herford but don't seem to do anything like that.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:45 am
Yes I went through a phase of buying Ease Up all the time, but decided to switch it up a bit recently. Funnily enough I avoided it for ages as I thought the label/logo was really crap :lol: Definitely a case of judging a book by its cover!

Really like the Mosaic Pale Ale although again it's definitely a variation on a theme!
It's an interesting bit of branding but I really like it as it's easy to spot on a shelf :)
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

bevvo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 am
During lockdown I'm limiting my choice to what Sainburys will deliver. Their own 'taste the difference' IPAs are as good as anything.
In periods of belt-tightening I've bought Aldi's 'own-brand' IPA (made by Marstons) which is pretty decent and certainly the best bottled IPA you'll find for £1.25/500ml..
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

bevvo wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:27 am As I live near Nottingham, I'll give a nod to Elsie Mo from Castle Rock. Not sure if its available all over.
The Swan in the Rushes in Loughborough is (i think) the most 'distant' Castle Rock pub....it certainly was when I frequented it. It was a standard "quiet night out" pub for the MC club etc. when I was a student 'cause it has real beer and Led Zep on the Duke Box.

Not seen Castle Rock stuff here in MK.
Davie lad

Post by Davie lad »

Guinness or John Smiths, washed down with G&T, Lots of G&T..
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Personally I'm moving away from lager/beer. It's just too many calories. Maybe in the summer when I'm able to sit outside with friends I'll be back on it?. Ive tried quite a selection of these new trendy craft beers recently and apart from the one that was absolutely awful, they all taste like beer mixed with lilt. Not bad, not awesome, relatively expensive.

So instead I'm partial to neat port. Last night however I was sipping Cointreau.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 am Just had an order from Adnams arrive. The craft beer mixed case
https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/adnams-ja ... d-case.htm

And some of their Old Ale which I've never had before. Tried it last night. Very dark in colour but not in flavour, I like it. Which is good as I have 12 bottles!
https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/adnams-ol ... ottles.htm

I tend to drink ales in the colder months and cider in the summer.
I haven't had a pint of proper beer for about 18 months now.

I think I would commit a murder for a bottle of Adams Old.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:39 am
Supermofo wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:14 am Just had an order from Adnams arrive. The craft beer mixed case
https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/adnams-ja ... d-case.htm

And some of their Old Ale which I've never had before. Tried it last night. Very dark in colour but not in flavour, I like it. Which is good as I have 12 bottles!
https://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/adnams-ol ... ottles.htm

I tend to drink ales in the colder months and cider in the summer.
I haven't had a pint of proper beer for about 18 months now.

I think I would commit a murder for a bottle of Adams Old.
I could post you some, but no idea on postage costs, had a quick look I couldn't see Adnams mentioning overseas delivery so doesn't look like you could go directly through them but happy to forward some on though.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Supermofo wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:07 am
I could post you some, but no idea on postage costs, had a quick look I couldn't see Adnams mentioning overseas delivery so doesn't look like you could go directly through them but happy to forward some on though.
That's a kind thought but last time I tried similar the postage costs were outrageous.

If I scurry around enough supermarche I might find some sort of proper ale until I can make it back to the UK.

I think I had a dream recently about drinking a pint of Old in the Nelson at Southwold ....
Horse

Post by Horse »

Doombar beer
'19 Crimes' red wine
Dry gin & t

Sometimes Adnams Ghost Ship 0.5%
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Managed to get some Hobgoblin after a bit of a search ...
Not my first choice but 'when in Rome' ...
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Favourite beer is TT Landlord. Don’t really do lager except for Tuborg when I’m on holiday.
Aldi do a lovely cucumber tonic which goes nice with tanqueray.
Whisky; I used to be a fan of west coast islays, but seem to have gone off them over the last few years and now prefer the smoother Speysides, Tomintoul in particular,
Saying that, I keep buying them and they are sitting in cupboard unopened. Must be about 30 bottles in there by now.
And a nice red wine obviously.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Having been diagnosed as gluten intolerant about 10 years ago limits my beer choice but the Westerham Brewery do GF beer and their Audit Ale which as close to Adnams Broadside as makes no difference is my favourite closely followed by Double Stout and they do a nice IPA as well. GF San Miguel from Morrison’s is about the best lager. Other than that it’s Devon Red cider or Aspalls Draught Cider.

Wine makes me grind my teeth when I’m sleeping it off for some reason so I try to avoid it.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."