Airbag vests/ jackets etc - Yay, nay, don't care?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Horse

Re: Airbag vests/ jackets etc - Yay, nay, don't care?

Post by Horse »

The only advantage I can think of is software upgrades, refining operation.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
dayglo jim

Post by dayglo jim »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 pm The only advantage I can think of is software upgrades, refining operation.
Depends how quickly they can get an improvements from design to finished item. There may be an element of end of life/recycling as they are not easily recycled.
I'd rather buy outright and replace when I felt it needed it or it had done its job.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 pm Call me old fashioned (and it's a fair call) but anything that that works on a subscription model can go fuck itself. If I buy something outright I don't expect to keep on paying for use of said item. If the airbag deploys and does what it's supposed to do, I'd be happy to buy a new gas canister (or whatever) and fit it myself. It's analagous to the 'right to repair' legislation that's currently being signed into law. I would never, ever buy a leasehold property - why should I effectively buy a piece of leasehold PPE?
It's an option. You can buy it outwrite. On the In&Motion (mine is the Ixon vest), the benefit of taking the subscription is that you have a longer period of cover and after three years you get upgraded IF a new model has come out.

With regards above comments about improvements, the algorithms are tweaked and then software updates rolled out. Also my vest, which I switch between track and road modes, is about to have the option of off road for those into that.

I didn't go for an external airbag vest due to the weight and being cumbersome. I'd probably not bother with it all the time which means it's a waste of money. I had similar thoughts on tethered ones. The Ixon vest doesn't have the largest capacity on the market but I slip it on under my gear and its no hassle to wear so I do everytime.

No one knows who's wearing these so it may appear to casual observers that there's less in use than there are.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:14 pm The only advantage I can think of is software upgrades, refining operation.
True, but that should be available, FoC, from the manufacturers website as a download that you can apply to the kit. That's the way it works for most other stuff, PCs, Laptops, cameras etc. It's only people like Microsoft and Adobe that are trying to move people to a subscription model. If I'm in the market for something and I know the vendor charges for upgrades I just walk away.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

We have the next generation of Tech-Air systems from Alpinestars this year, including one with airbag hip protection (the new Tech-Air 10).

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/202 ... air-range/

What’s so great about it? We should see some bargains on the old (still excellent) Tech-Air models. Time to keep a beady eye on dealers looking to clear old airbag stock before April, I reckon.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I have two for work, both Helite Turtle 2.0's, only difference is one fluro and one all black for the different courses. They feel a bit bulky at first, but I soon got used to wearing one. Are they the magic answer to avoiding injury etc? not sure they are, but i wouldn’t think they make things worse !!

Undoubtedly there are now more convenient vests to buy. But as they were bought for me, i really can't complain.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Had one at work that I was obliged to return when I retired.

The most sickening thing about these is that VAT has to be paid on them. For a piece of PPE that has no other function apart from its intended use. Like a crash helmet.

VAT adds £100 to the price of a Helite.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

On the bright side, pricewise, the new Arc'teryx skiers avalanche airbag, the Litric, is over £2k!

The selling point is that it weighs under 3lb and it's supercapacitors/battery/pumps rather than gas bottles. Pumps up in 4 seconds.

I suppose the technology may transfer to bike ones although 4s may be a bit slow but you can stuff the bag back in and it's ready to go again as the battery charges the capacitors. Recharge using USB in 25 minutes once the battery has discharged.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

4s feels like 3.5s too long to me, but I've never timed how long the average motorcyclist spends flying through the air post crash.

It makes me think you'll have a slightly comedic situation where you're lying on the ground and then the thing inflates.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:11 pm 4s feels like 3.5s too long to me, but I've never timed how long the average motorcyclist spends flying through the air post crash.

It makes me think you'll have a slightly comedic situation where you're lying on the ground and then the thing inflates.
Absolutely. + the bag itself is more of a balloon thing. I suppose it helps you 'float' in an avalanche of snow. (I'm not sure what triggers it - like parting company with the bike does) I just wondered whether the technology could cross over and make bags more readily reuseable.

eg take power from the bike, use bigger capacitors/pump.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm pretty sure avalanche airbags are triggered by the person wearing it. Would be difficult to have one set off by impact etc as there are so many non avalanche impacts!!

4 seconds is pretty ok for avalanche I think as you kinda know you're in one/going to be in one so have time to pull the trigger and it to inflate around you. And I guess (big guesses) that even if you pull it as you are getting covered, there is movement of the rolling/falling snow, so the bag inflates around the skier/boarder as everything is moving rather than on impact or after the skier is covered in stationary snow

Bit too long for a biker tho!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Interesting styling/design on these avalanche airbags ...

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:58 pm Interesting styling/design on these avalanche airbags ...

Interesting in what way? (Apart from the picture looking well weird to very tired eyes!! LOL)

They aren't designed to protect bones like biker air bags. They are designed to 'float' the wearer higher up in the avalanched snow and create an 'air pocket' around the head of the wearer. By inflating around the head, it does give some protection but the main goal (I think) is to give more chance of survival as the chances of protecting all the bones of someone in an avalanche is pretty slim!! If the victim isn't badly damaged, a bigger problem is lack of air. But to 'float' the wearer means that there is a good chance rescuers will find them sooner rather than later and get to them, allowing fresh air to the victim whilst recovery is arranged

TBF, I don't know lots about either, but having seen a few films of avalanches, both from a distance and from a camera on the wearer of the air bag, I can see why the design would be very very different to that for a biker!! :D

But, the rucksack on the bottom of that airbag is proper confusing for a tired person!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:12 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:58 pm Interesting styling/design on these avalanche airbags ...

Interesting in what way? (Apart from the picture looking well weird to very tired eyes!! LOL)

But, the rucksack on the bottom of that airbag is proper confusing for a tired person!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You answered your own question :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:48 am
Noggin wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:12 pm

You answered your own question :D
Even asI was writing I kinda guessed, but, I'd started, so I finished :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:59 pm Call me old fashioned (and it's a fair call) but anything that that works on a subscription model can go fuck itself. If I buy something outright I don't expect to keep on paying for use of said item. If the airbag deploys and does what it's supposed to do, I'd be happy to buy a new gas canister (or whatever) and fit it myself. It's analagous to the 'right to repair' legislation that's currently being signed into law. I would never, ever buy a leasehold property - why should I effectively buy a piece of leasehold PPE?
I think my main worry with self-maintenance would be that when I needed it, it wouldn't work. It's the same reason folk have lease cars mainly - farming out the maintenance, not having to be worried about technology where safety is involved.

Motorcyclist have only really ever started to wear safety equipment once it is forced on them anyway - so until that time comes ....
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 11:53 am
I think my main worry with self-maintenance would be that when I needed it, it wouldn't work
No problem, what with the [your] lifetime guarantee and great warranty for replacement of failures.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

I don’t know if it’s an age thing but I doubt in the few years of biking I have left that I’ll go down the airbag route.

I started off in leather jacket, jeans and trainers and gradually got to full leathers and /or textiles as the bikes got faster and the mileage got longer.

I’ve come off a few times with nothing more to show for it than a broken collarbone. Biking is risky but I feel I can survive with the safety precautions that I have at present.

If I was a newbie I’d probably go for it but at my age with my experience to be honest I couldn’t be arsed.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I would go down the airbag route when I can afford it and if I can find one that will protect shoulders specifically (without detriment to other bits! LIke head/neck!). Probably at a similar time that I get MTM leathers!

But then I'm at the point that if I crash again and land on my metal shoulder, I'm likely to lose either all use of the arm, or the arm. Depending on how badly it gets damaged

I like the idea of them, but I can't afford them right now and need to absolutely sure that they protect the bit I want protecting!