Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Screwdriver

Re: Formula 1, 2021 season, tips, info, pics, thread.

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 am Verstappen and Horner are coming out all whiny pants. Max has "form" - it's hard racing - and it is the stuff that Max deals out but he is obviously not big enough to take it.
"Take it"?

You mean the championship leader being punted off the track at 160mph into a tyre barrier and experiencing 50g deceleration? The offender who made the mistake and caused the accident is let off the hook with a slap on the wrist and goes on to victory. Yeah. Take that!

A bigger man than Lewis would apologise rather than celebrate while his victim is still in hospital..
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

It was a stupid move, but I don't think it was a deliberate attempt to take Verstappen out, the end result was more likely to take them both out, Hamilton assumed Verstappen would know he was there and give him room, Verstappen either didn't know he was there or didn't mind risking taking them both out.
Honda Owner
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Verstapen knew there was a Car on his inside. It was his choice to turn in. It’s racing.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:54 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 am Verstappen and Horner are coming out all whiny pants. Max has "form" - it's hard racing - and it is the stuff that Max deals out but he is obviously not big enough to take it.
"Take it"?

You mean the championship leader being punted off the track at 160mph into a tyre barrier and experiencing 50g deceleration? The offender who made the mistake and caused the accident is let off the hook with a slap on the wrist and goes on to victory. Yeah. Take that!

A bigger man than Lewis would apologise rather than celebrate while his victim is still in hospital..
I always think "what would Michael Schumacher have done?"

The celebration should have been muted - but Lewis does have really health ego and little humility.
Re the 50 G thing that seems to be quoted.
a) I am guessing Lewis would have not factored that in
b) was it really 50 G?
Modern fighter jets are traveling must faster etc , and I never hear of them pulling 50G ( acceleration or deceleration)

Does seem to have a whiff about it ....
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

the_priest wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:16 am If you go racing, put your big boy pants on. It is racing, they make hard moves on each other, one has more experience, the other has more hunger perhaps? Hamilton was racing, as was Verstappen, both went at it hard and that is how it pans out.
Pretty much this- they were racing hard every corner before that, which I thought was good to see- Verstappen knew Hamilton was up the inside at Copse, he took a gamble knowing that, and lost. That's racing a lot of the time- you make split-second decisions- hopefully, they work out, sometimes they don't.

The crucial thing for me is that I don't think it was a deliberate aggressive attempt by Hamilton to punt Verstappen off.
Thankfully no-one was really injured , but it really was just racing IMO

But of course these days, and especially in F1, someone always has to be decided to be to blame and penalized for it.
What I am struggling with, is what the outrage is about- is it specifically about that piece or driving, or the level of the penalty imposed?

The officials decided Hamilton was to blame for the incident, but I am guessing they thought similar to me as they could have imposed a much more punitive penalty which would have meant he wouldn't have won the race, but they didn't, and If Hamilton hadn't finished where he did, I don't think there would be anything like the discussion or outrage there has been from some people.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:19 am
Re the 50 G thing that seems to be quoted.
a) I am guessing Lewis would have not factored that in
b) was it really 50 G?
Modern fighter jets are traveling must faster etc , and I never hear of them pulling 50G ( acceleration or deceleration)

Does seem to have a whiff about it ....
I assume that the 50g was the peak de-acceleration as he got the tyre wall.

I took that as Horners way of highlighting the size of the impact but it does come across as a bit of daily mail headline when put together with his rant of 'you can't overtake there!!!'
Which Hamilton then went and did twice more in the race.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

So Max has a taste of his own medicine and Horner is all 'you don't show a wheel there!'
Max knew Hamilton was there because, remember this, he jinked left to block LH, forcing him to go right, he got alongside MH, but obviously backed off a bit as he knew he would run wide if he didn't.
MV just carried on full chat regardless of what was going on around him.
It's racing, not competitive knitting. Paint gets swapped between cars.
Perhaps Max will pay more attention when he's racing LH next time, rather than bullying all and sundry.
Mind you, if I were LH, I'd be keeping well away from Perez on track for the rest of the season
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah 50g will be from the impact. F1 cars have impact g sensors, there's a light next to the cockpit which comes on if you go over a certain number (I think it's 50g actually, but don't quote me) to let the mashalls know it was a big shunt and they should take extra precautions when removing the driver.

It's the little light to the front left of the steering wheel by the "Circled N". The button next to it puts the car in neutral, hence the N.

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

I would imagine that the 50g he sustained was for 0.000001s.
Still rather him than me mind you!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Is there a correlation between falling off a building and hitting the ground. And sliding into a wall.

I know when you hit the ground you are still accelerating.

Just wonder how high you'd need to fall to hit 50g.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm a bit gutted I missed it. Haven't really paid attention to F1 for years and didn't realise till too late it was Silverstone. And worse - couldn't find any highlights :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:05 pm Is there a correlation between falling off a building and hitting the ground. And sliding into a wall.

I'm no mathematician of physicist, but I don't think you could simply by falling.
From memory of what my old parachuting instructors told me, terminal velocity for a human due to gravity alone is in the region of 120mph, and hitting a solid object at that speed would be a deceleration force of approx 4G

ISTR that 10G or so is about the maximum force most humans can tolerate for more than a few seconds before passing out and ultimately dying from lack of oxygen getting to the brain, so as Demannu says, am guessing that 50G must have been measured only for a very (very very) small amount of time
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It depends entirely on how you stop.

You'll never ever fall at more than 1g. That's pretty much the definition! 1g is the rate at which objects in free fall accelerate on earth. Free fall means you're not under the influence of any force other than gravity, so it's pretty hard to achieve true free fall on earth 'cause you've generally got air resistance. But you'll never get higher than 1g unless you actively push downwards somehow (e.g. a rocket firing downwards).

In terms of hitting the floor...

If you jumped off a 5m wall - and ignoring air resistance - you'd hit the floor doing just under 10m/s (about 20mph).

If you then stopped over a distance of 50cm you'd need to pull an average of 10g to stop. Quite a lot still, but easily survivable. Decelerating over 50cm is about equal to what you'd do if you bent your legs isn't it?
If you stopped over only 5cm you'd need to pull 100g. That's enough to knock you out and probably do some serious injury.
Stopping over 5mm would require you to average 1000g. Fatal.

That's why you can survive a 5m fall if you bend your legs and roll - i.e. you spread out the slowing down - but you can't survive if it you land flat on your face.

Perhaps more intuitive though - to hit a wall/floor doing 160mph and ignoring the air resistance you'd need to be dropped from more than 250m up. So thrown out of a plane basically! It's impressive that these crashes are survivable.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:05 pm Is there a correlation between falling off a building and hitting the ground. And sliding into a wall.

I did that calculation on another forum. To reach 160mph (ignoring wind resistance) you need to be falling from 260m.

In other words, drive off the top of a skyscraper and hit a stack of tyres on the ground. Most important thing is he went in sideways. Even with a well stacked tyre wall, I wouldn't want to try that crash twice, if the car had flipped, he could easily have been killed.

Max might be ok after a 50g deceleration. It would most likely kill me. Internal organ failure, broken neck, severe concussion etc.

These guys are fit as fuck to even be able to drive those things.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:37 pm If you jumped off a 5m wall...
Where is this wall? Wormwood scrubs? :mrgreen:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:50 pm

I did that calculation on another forum. To reach 160mph (ignoring wind resistance) you need to be falling from 260m.

In other words, drive off the top of a skyscraper and hit a stack of tyres on the ground. Most important thing is he went in sideways. Even with a well stacked tyre wall, I wouldn't want to try that crash twice, if the car had flipped, he could easily have been killed.

Max might be ok after a 50g deceleration. It would most likely kill me. Internal organ failure, broken neck, severe concussion etc.

These guys are fit as fuck to even be able to drive those things.
I suspect that Max's ego inflation device will have taken the sting from the impact by hitting the wall 3 m before him...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:57 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:37 pm If you jumped off a 5m wall...
Where is this wall? Wormwood scrubs? :mrgreen:
Can't imagine why you'd ever be climbing over and jumping off a wall in such a place :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Was a smidge daft, but they're there to race not follow each other round.
As for 'you don't show a wheel @ Copse' 1 it was a while lot more car than a wheel, and LeClerc managed to mostly stay on the track when LH pulled his overtake of him at the same corner.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

From the overhead shot you could see LH kept a constant radius. MV tightened his line.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

F1

Gonna need a lot more than 1 hat for you lot.