THIS CUSTOM YAMAHA XSR700 IS A RETINA-SEARING TREAT

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: THIS CUSTOM YAMAHA XSR700 IS A RETINA-SEARING TREAT

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:24 am When the Mt's and XSR's were first launched Yamaha really pushed them towards the custom builders, there was an official Yamaha competition 'Yard Built' and they gave bikes to all the big names to be customized.

The smaller builders probably just use them because they're relatively cheap.

I think my fave MT/XSR07 build is this one from Down and Out (and I'm not saying that because my office is about a mile away from them).

https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/gb/en/yard- ... afe-racer/

I've seen that IRL, it's okay, looks like a Mel Lemoto LC from the 80s
Honda Owner
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I saw most of the Yard Build bikes in the metal I think, at a show. The imagination and execution were outstanding but I still say it's a poor choice of a base bike 'for custom building'.

I was speaking to a custom builder bloke, talking about how in theory you can customise anything, and in his words "what you need to do to the oe bike is keep taking the standard bits off until it starts to look less terrible". I would say that with the XSR you have to go further than most using that as a plan, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder after all. I'm sure it's a great bike to ride.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taking the stock suspension and brakes and downgrading them 1980s/90s ones is proper commitment to the cause though.