Brake Calipers

Anything you like about motorbikes
Skub

Re: Brake Calipers

Post by Skub »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:54 am
I normally prime the system by sucking with me big ol' lungs....
Those years in Thailand paid off,eh? :shock: :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:57 am I had a badly seized set of calipers on my Thundercat so I stripped them and replaced the seals. It was a long time ago but I don't remember the seals costing a significant amount so that looks a bit pricey. The seals I took off were still in good condition so it may be worth having a look before spending that much.
The job was simple but getting the pistons out wasn't, it took wooden blocks and a G clamp to hold the other pistons in place while an air compressor forced a stuck one out. As long as it wasn't needed urgently it's one of those jobs that I'd do myself again.
If the pistons are difficult then I'll struggle. Don't have a workshop or workshop tools, just a toolbox and a small table in my apartment!! :O
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mine were seized badly so you may not need so much power but I guess if worst comes to the worst you could post them to someone.
If they need doing anyway then what's the harm in trying?

Other people may have alternatives to a compressor or bleeding the brakes to get a piston out. Otherwise it's easily a kitchen table job.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm Mine were seized badly so you may not need so much power but I guess if worst comes to the worst you could post them to someone.

Other people may have alternatives to a compressor or bleeding the brakes to get a piston out. Otherwise it's easily a kitchen table job.
That's kind of what I've been hoping :) Would like to try at least. Probably on the rear one first!! LOL Just to see :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm Mine were seized badly so you may not need so much power but I guess if worst comes to the worst you could post them to someone.

The best way I've found to get really solidly stuck pistons out (as in 350LC calipers that had sat for 35 years untouched) was to use a grease gun with an adaptor to take a banjo bolt. You can get insanely high pressures using a grease gun, way higher than a compressor, with the added bonus that when the piston does finally pop it doesn't get fired across the room at 100mph.

It just makes a sort of wet fart sound...

But on the downside, you do have to clean all the grease out of the caliper.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.