Talk to me about Moto Guzzis

Anything you like about motorbikes
Zimbo

Re: Talk to me about Moto Guzzis

Post by Zimbo »

I had an 1100 Breva for a bit, it was well built and easy to ride, very very comfortable, sounded lovely, but it ran out of power quite quickly and didn't like being pushed through a series of bends so I found it not satisfying when in a hurry, however it was good if you took your time a bit, very comfy at 80 odd on a motorway. It was a 2 valve air cooled 1100, the 4 valve 1100 bikes will be a lot better power wise although I seem to recall some issue with the valve clearance adjusters with early ones?
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Whysub wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 pm
20210120_231144.jpg
20210120_231050.jpg
20210120_230932.jpg
After doing a little research, I've found that it wasn't a Dr John Guzzi, but something much rarer and more exotic. Watercooled too.
See the spec sheet for the bike here here:
www.mandelloracing.com

I have no idea what it is worth now, but as i said, at the time i could have afforded it (if i was told what the buyer bought it for was correct).
fatgit

Post by fatgit »

Hi
I ride a Tuono Factory normally but in the summer a young lady friend of mine who had never been in a bike before wanted to try it out. The Tuono is not the best option for a pillion newbie so after a chat with my dealer he lent me a TT85 demo bike for the day.
I didn’t know what I was getting til I turned up and when I saw it it’s fair to say I was disappointed but beggars can’t be choosers.
At first I thought it was ponderous and heavy and underpowered (it is!!!) but having relaxed into it and accepting it for what it was we ended up having a really nice day touring round the North York’s Moors and the Dales.
It’s not fast (max I saw was 75) and acceleration was steady but it handled reasonably well and you could get a reasonable lock on when you wanted to. Heated grips were nice too.
It was comfy and reasonably fuel efficient (50mpg ish) and the lady was perfectly happy enjoying the view!
Would I buy one? Not that model -it’s described as an enduro bike but I wouldn’t want to take it off road but if I was after something relaxing to tour on I’d look at other models.
The main man in the dealership raves about them.
The day was an unexpected surprise
Cheers
Steve
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Checkout Nathanthepostman on YouTube who bought a TT85 to green lane and do cross contry tours on. Think he is still on the fence about it
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Must admit that after seeing a Dr John Guzzi in PB yonks ago I wouldn't complain too hard if one turned up in my shed.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think when the lockdown ends I'll shift my Guzzi on, maybe buy a GSXR1100 for posing or a 600 Supersport for trackdays.

I'll never sell my Bullet tho'

Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:02 pm
If you're going to supersize for an extra 50p, then you've got to go MGX-21.
I'm not keen on the MGX. Too much of an American bagger. No doubt more practical but overloaded for me and I don't get the red cam covers and calipers.

I like the glossiness and brute simplicity of the 1400 custom. Shame they don't make it anymore. All those big Guzzi cruisers are good bikes though. Deserve to be more popular than they are.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

I've had many Guzzis, and love them - everything fro the Ambassador (tractor with an armchair ) to a Le Mans III (Gentleman's missile). I currently have a 1200 Griso 1200 8v in the fleet, which I LOVE and have had since new in 08. I'd describe that as a stylish muscle bike. Guzzis aren't like this, or like that. The models are very different. I live the big block sports models, don't get on so well with the big tourers, and have never ridden a small block that did much for me. 750 Breva was a bouncy slug. The V7s look lovely. But I am put off by the small block.

If you are considering a Guzzi, I love my Griso, and my two previous bikes were both Speed Triples. Sadly you can't get new ones any more.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

seem to recall some issue with the valve clearance adjusters with early ones?
Pre & early 2012 stelvio, grisso & norge models have potential cam problems, anything 2013 onwards or that has been "rollerised" should be fine.