Classic bike MOT question

Anything you like about motorbikes
derek badger

Re: Classic bike MOT question

Post by derek badger »

Potter wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:29 pm Off the top of my head I can't remember where, but you're applying for historic vehicle status I think.
https://www.gov.uk/historic-vehicles

Vehicles that do not need an MOT

You do not need to get an MOT if:

* The vehicle was built or first registered more than 40 years ago
*No ‘substantial changes’ have been made to the vehicle in the last 30 years, for example replacing the chassis, body, axles or engine to change the way the vehicle works
If you’re not sure if there have been any substantial changes you can:

* Read the full guidance on MOT exemptions for historic vehicles
* Speak to a historic vehicle expert

Vehicles exempt from vehicle tax:

If your vehicle was built before 1 January 1980, you can stop paying vehicle tax from 1 April 2020.

If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1980, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2020.
What you have to do

You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

You do not have to apply to stop getting an MOT for your vehicle each year. However, you must still keep it in a roadworthy condition.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yes that rings a bell - You must apply for a vehicle tax exemption to stop paying vehicle tax. This is sometimes called putting a vehicle into the ‘historic tax class’.

When you do that you also don't need an MOT - but you're applying to for historic vehicle status so you don't have to pay tax.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

This is a useful bit, perhaps:
Acceptable changes

It does not count as a ‘substantial change’ if:

they are changes of a type which can be demonstrated to have been made when vehicles of the type were in production or within 10 years of the end of production
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... n-criteria
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

GuzziPaul wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:52 pm
I changed my '77 Le Mans to "Historic vehicle" in January '78 and taxed it for £0 in March without an MOT. You still need to apply for road tax it just costs £0.
Can you set up a direct debit for that? :D
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:58 am
DVLA phoned me, through their Nigerian sub-office, to help set that up.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I changed my '77 Le Mans to "Historic vehicle" in January '78 and taxed it for £0 in March without an MOT. You still need to apply for road tax it just costs £0.

Why wouldn't you be able to? I've set up DDs on credit cards I don't use. You are authorising an organisation to take funds from your bank account when it suits them to.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

cheb wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:51 pm

Why wouldn't you be able to? I've set up DDs on credit cards I don't use. You are authorising an organisation to take funds from your bank account when it suits them to.
"You are hereby authorised to take £0 per month".
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Image\\

My sugga didnt require an MOT but if ever a vehicle needed one it was this one 3000kg put a big strain on, even for volvo, very primitive brakes. I remember a chap at a classic car show leaping in front of it as I was arriving it was all Icould do not to RUN HIM OVER. they (the brakes) were of a differernt era, no servo and very long throws on the mechanical linkage to the master cylinder, no dual circuit and poor pad material with dust filled drums made for a few white knucklestops. huge fun though.