2021 cycling goals, targets, aims and ambitions.

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: 2021 cycling goals, targets, aims and ambitions.

Post by weeksy »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:30 pm This year try and keep up the mileage at 2 or 3 rides a week and when not on the MTB then static bike in the gym.

I might even buy a new bike to replace the 16 year old GT Avalanche that has served me superbly well although i had to laugh at one on Ebay the same as mine listed at £285 :o

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284104019972
I wouldn't laugh, that'll sell at that money.
crust

Post by crust »

General ambitions
The usual get fitter :)
Learn to pace myself over a ride rather than go off quick and struggle to finish.
Stop and take more photographs, maybe carry a camera in a pocket or bag on the bars rather than a phone, I see a lot of lovely sights/scenery, changes in season but they are usually just memories.
More longer rides - train out ride back stuff.
Ride different areas.

More specific targets/ambitions
Gent - Wevelgem sportive
Bath to Reading - ALONG - the canal path this time, unfinished business.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

crust wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:41 pm General ambitions
The usual get fitter :)
Learn to pace myself over a ride rather than go off quick and struggle to finish.
Stop and take more photographs, maybe carry a camera in a pocket or bag on the bars rather than a phone, I see a lot of lovely sights/scenery, changes in season but they are usually just memories.
More longer rides - train out ride back stuff.
Ride different areas.

More specific targets/ambitions
Gent - Wevelgem sportive
Bath to Reading - ALONG - the canal path this time, unfinished business.
There's a Ridgeway 100km.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:14 am
I wouldn't laugh, that'll sell at that money.
Jesus, there must be a shortage of bikes :o .... I paid about 25 quid for one in the same condition second hand 15 years ago. Admittedly it was a stupid price but even then they went for 150 -200 and new they were 350 so 285 for a 15-18 year old second hand bike seems ridiculous
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Everyone in lockdown, no new bikes coming into UK. No spares, so a clean bike like that will sell all day.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Just be working close enough to home that I've got time to ride my bloody pushbike and have enough energy to make it worthwhile.

Or even to fire the bike in the back of the van and maybe stop off for a ride on the way home from work, much of the last few years working Ive been giving someone else a lift and not really felt like stopping, leaving them while I go off on me bike for a bit then come back and continue the journey home.

Doesn't sound like much does it? Maybe three days a week would do the trick. I'll see how this spri g goes.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

As 2021 is in process i need to start thinking of rides and planning some stuff to keep me going.

https://www.cyclinguk.org/king-alfreds-way
https://bikepacking.com/news/king-alfreds-way/

MAybe taking in some of this, King Alfreds Way, which could start at the Ridgeway for me, then after Swindon loop over to Salisbury where Mrs Weeksy/Crust could pick us up and head back.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I think that King Alfred’s way is going to be packed after the lockdown finishes - it seems to be featured in everything ....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:03 am I think that King Alfred’s way is going to be packed after the lockdown finishes - it seems to be featured in everything ....
Packed will be a very relative term as it's 350km long lol. But yeah i get your point. But it's the sort of ride and terrain that i'll wait until summer to do anyway. Wait for the chalk to be fully set before doing something like that.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I would give it until the end of March or start April. I am off to do here to Devils Dyke in about an hour - just on slop assessment
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 am I would give it until the end of March or start April. I am off to do here to Devils Dyke ina bout an hour - just on slop assesment
Good Luck,I'm dreading the dog walk later, I'll probably drive to Friston and see how bad it is in there.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:13 am I would give it until the end of March or start April. I am off to do here to Devils Dyke ina bout an hour - just on slop assesment
Good Luck,I'm dreading the dog walk later, I'll probably drive to Friston and see how bad it is in there.
Came off just before Devils Dyke down towards Fulking ... considering I came of 5 weeks ago, the good part was I did fall off. It looked fairly innocuous under foot - but the mud was just greasy slime. I lost the front end steering ability on a few occasions!
The chalk bits of the run where in a semi liquid state - and green chalk few and far between ...

Essentially, it's shit!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 am
Came off just before Devils Dyke down towards Fulking ... considering I came of 5 weeks ago, the good part was I did fall off. It looked fairly innocuous under foot - but the mud was just greasy slime. I lost the front end steering ability on a few occasions!
The chalk bits of the run where in a semi liquid state - and green chalk few and far between ...

Essentially, it's shit!
There's got to be better options at the moment surely ? We've got the Ridgeway that's essentially the same mess you have, but we just ride south instead which is equally as wet, but just simple straight forward mud, rather than icy chalky slime.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:41 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:25 am

Essentially, it's shit!
There's got to be better options at the moment surely ? We've got the Ridgeway that's essentially the same mess you have, but we just ride south instead which is equally as wet, but just simple straight forward mud, rather than icy chalky slime.
We have the Downs to the direct north _ liquid chalk and greasy slop
We have the Weald to the north of that which is clay, muddy shit that locks wheels in seconds
We do have the North Downs 35 miles away but a) that is not covid compliant b) everyone and his dog, family and roadie mates goes there
Friston is about 25 miles away but to get there you have to pass Newhaven - and there be dragons in Newhaven.
and Stanmer - but that is always full of dog walkers, students mating, and travellers ....

To the south of us we have the sea - It not ideal the best of time :)

Anyway sorted out a short term solution of the old Schwinn Spin Bike I have ... 50 mins last night. Jesus, it's hard work!