changing to 1x Drivetrain

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
lostboy

Re: changing to 1x Drivetrain

Post by lostboy »

Usually get up it ok with 32 front and 40 rear (hardtail 29er) but I'm glad it's not much longer and it's always "fun" trying to recover as you carry on up to the decent trailheads.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Quite interesting this.

I might do it in the future, but not sure it it’s worth it. I need to get out and tackle the hills near me. I’ve still not used the smaller front other than a quick play.
But I do like the idea of it being simple.
Cheers
Last edited by formula400 on Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Beancounter wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 pm I did it on my Whyte Stirling. It made the easier to clean and lost a tiny bit of weight but in hindsight it was a foolish swap. I’m sure the chain line helped ruin the bearings on my rear hub though maybe I’m just looking for something to blame. I was running a 30t upfront with a 38t (IIRC) on the rear and it always felt a little grindey going up things like Croom’s Hill (Greenwich Park - 6.3%). I’m a lot bigger than you and not as fit so bear that in mind.

Edit. As P_J mentions, the shifting was never spot on, even with new components, I always had a couple of gears that rubbed.

That’s good to know as well
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

formula400 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:26 pm
Beancounter wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:40 pm I did it on my Whyte Stirling. It made the easier to clean and lost a tiny bit of weight but in hindsight it was a foolish swap. I’m sure the chain line helped ruin the bearings on my rear hub though maybe I’m just looking for something to blame. I was running a 30t upfront with a 38t (IIRC) on the rear and it always felt a little grindey going up things like Croom’s Hill (Greenwich Park - 6.3%). I’m a lot bigger than you and not as fit so bear that in mind.

Edit. As P_J mentions, the shifting was never spot on, even with new components, I always had a couple of gears that rubbed.

That’s good to know as well
I really regret doing it on mine. Looking at putting it back to standard but I’ve lost the parts which means spending almost as much as a newer model of the same bike.
irie

Post by irie »

I have a Gary Fisher Big Sur which was 3x9. Earlier this year upgraded to Shimano M8000 1x11 with 11-42 cassette and derailleur, 175 crankset with 34t chainring, SLX shifter. Can not fault it, but then again I don't do anything spectacular on the bike.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taff

Post by Taff »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:49 am
porter_jamie wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:36 pm my ebike came with 1x12 and i wish it was only say 1x8 as its just a pain in the arse having to change so many gears all the time. the chain would be much wider and last longer too.
This, my ebike is 1x11, at most I only need 5 gears and could get by with 3 if they had wide enough spacing, I've never used anything other than the middle five gears on my ebike.
You want to come riding with me in the fod, I routinely use the full range of gears on mine, one off the push up paths is a climb of 210ft in 0.2 miles and unless you're some kind of superhero you ain't getting up that in a middle cog.