Dark visor query...

Anything you like about motorbikes
Beancounter

Re: Dark visor query...

Post by Beancounter »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:25 am Often they seem to not drop down far enough and I can 'see' the edge of the visor in my vision.
That's quite annoying actually. A similar experience to riding wearing glasses IME.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Arai QV for me both clear and dark tinted. both are fitted with clear pinlocks and couple of strips of black electrical tape. It used to be three strips but as I'm crouched over more on the Le Mans than the Tuono I had to trip the tape a bit in a nice arc so I don't have to crick my neck too much. Ttape provides sufficient shade for my eyes if I tilt my head down, however the clear visor is no good during the winter months if the sun is low and the roads are wet, as the sun bounces up of the road. I did just have the pinlock in the clear visor thinking thats where is would be needed for riding in the cold/dark. But when I got the new helmet I got pinlocks for both clear and tinted visors so I can wear the tinted one on bright cold days.
I have had several Arias but the previous helmet was a Shoei with the same set up. Going back to Arai I was a bit concerned about the sidepod isue when changing visors, having broken the tags on three side pods. However, on the QV you pop the sidepods off right at the start, they dangle on a couple of nylon strings while you pop the visor on and off and they clip back very easily with no real pressure on the hooks.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Visors look better, but I can't see myself. I always used to use black visors but now I have a Shark with an internal visor I'd never go back. Its so much more convenient.

Low sun? Visor down, head the other direction? Lift it up.
Go out all day and night with no need for 2 visors.
I tend to ride in town with the main visor up but the sun visor down, so you get lots of air flow but no bees in the eye .

I'd not buy a lid without a drop down visor now
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Anyone use yellow visors? I started using a yellow film on the inside of my Arai visor when I was despatching. Initially it was on dull grey days to up contrast - learned that skiing in the early 80s.

Today, I always have yellow-tint glasses on, as anyone who'd done a course with me will know. Three reasons:

- as well as improving contrast on dull days, I find they take the blue light glare out even on sunny days which makes even bright sun tolerable without a dark visor, so the only time I need the internal sunshade when riding directly into low sun.

- I get quite bad eye irritation from pollen, dust etc so an extra 'skin' directly over the eyes helps

- they are CE-approved as safety glasses, and shatterproof and impact-proof, so if I flip the front of the helmet up I've still got eye protection
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am Anyone use yellow visors?
Not a yellow visor but years ago I had a pinlock that was reactive to light. It was brilliant and I've not been able to find one the same since. It was yellow and darkened to smoky blue colour in bright sun.
The Spin Doctor

Supermofo wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:05 am
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am Anyone use yellow visors?
Not a yellow visor but years ago I had a pinlock that was reactive to light. It was brilliant and I've not been able to find one the same since. It was yellow and darkened to smoky blue colour in bright sun.
https://pinlock.com/product/pinlock-pro ... gv-dks118/

For an AGV but seems to be the same photochromic concept... haven't seen what else is available.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I had a yellow tint pinlock for years and liked it once I got used to blue traffic lights. It worked well in fog and helped with sun glare. Recently bought one for an NXR and thought my satnav had broken. I realised that it cancelled out the pink route line. As I couldn't change it on the Garmin I stopped using the pinlock.

I like inner dark visors for all the reasons above, convenience.
The Spin Doctor

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm I had a yellow tint pinlock for years and liked it once I got used to blue traffic lights. It worked well in fog and helped with sun glare. Recently bought one for an NXR and thought my satnav had broken. I realised that it cancelled out the pink route line. As I couldn't change it on the Garmin I stopped using the pinlock.

That's a pain. On my Garmin you can choose the track colour.

The thing I noticed first was that bluebells in spring turn white-ish ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Fucking Bluebells in spring?

Have we morphed into Mumsnet?
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:16 pm Fucking Bluebells in spring?

I bet you miss them in your arid hellhole ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:45 pm

There's a bar in town called Bluebells.
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Does it serve blue cocktails with an umbrella in them?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm

Dirty pub. Owned by Rangers fan.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:55 am Anyone use yellow visors? I started using a yellow film on the inside of my Arai visor when I was despatching. Initially it was on dull grey days to up contrast - learned that skiing in the early 80s.

Today, I always have yellow-tint glasses on, as anyone who'd done a course with me will know.
One of the other instructors i work with has started wearing similar a couple of months ago and he loves them for the anti glare and improved contrast you mentioned. Personally i'll stick with the drop down on my Shoei.

Had a play with my Arai TourX4 today as high speeds results in the peak getting grabbed by wind and either pulling my head to the side or making it hard to turn. Its fine for most of my riding but noticed it at the trackday when up around 120 mph it can be a pain. With upcoming trackday in the Spring i dug out my Arai Astro but a bit of trim off the base at the front has gone missing so unless i can find a replacement bit i cant really use it.

Took the peak off the Tour X and used the different plates to mount the visor

Plus points: No problems with the wind flow even at 3 figure speeds, perfectly stable, superb field of view

Negative points: So large a field of view its weird, like riding with a panoramic roof as you cant see the top of the aperture. No shielding from direct sunlight which affects my right eye badly which might be a problem in Portugal in May. Might have to add about 6 lines of insulating tape to close down the field a bit instead of the 2 lines i have on the other helmets :mrgreen:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I heard that the police stopped Bigyin and 'made' him wear a dark visor ;)
The Spin Doctor

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:06 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:59 pm
Dirty pub. Owned by Rangers fan.
Eek!
G.P

Post by G.P »

For normal daylight riding I wear an Arai with a dark visor.
I spent years commuting from Wiltshire into Reading / Bracknell / west London. IN the winter its a clear visor because I'm going both ways in the dark
The rest of the year I'm riding into the sunrise in the morning and then into the sunset in the evening so a dark visor works unless the sun comes up or down half way through the journey so I use a drop down visor in the Shoei Neotecas my default commuting lid. My Ducati Branded Arai looks a bit daft on a Triumph adventure bike anyway !!

@Bigyin - Didn't Arai stop making the Astro R about a decade ago?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:34 pm I had a yellow tint pinlock for years and liked it once I got used to blue traffic lights. It worked well in fog and helped with sun glare. Recently bought one for an NXR and thought my satnav had broken. I realised that it cancelled out the pink route line. As I couldn't change it on the Garmin I stopped using the pinlock.

Interesting. I may ask about this in a new thread (Garmins, not bluebells).
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

G.P wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:08 pm For normal daylight riding I wear an Arai with a dark visor.
I spent years commuting from Wiltshire into Reading / Bracknell / west London. IN the winter its a clear visor because I'm going both ways in the dark
The rest of the year I'm riding into the sunrise in the morning and then into the sunset in the evening so a dark visor works unless the sun comes up or down half way through the journey so I use a drop down visor in the Shoei Neotecas my default commuting lid. My Ducati Branded Arai looks a bit daft on a Triumph adventure bike anyway !!

@Bigyin - Didn't Arai stop making the Astro R about a decade ago?
Probably mate, i have had it a long time but its never been dropped or hit the deck, lives in a helmet bag in the house and i keep an eye on the strap for fraying. I had an Arai tech look over it last year and while he couldnt say officially he didnt say not to use it , if you get my meaning. It would have been ideal for May but hey ho
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:13 pm

That'll be the snowdrops... Daffodils are often yellow and taller, even if their further away. 😉
Yamaha rocket 3