MCN, best bikes of 2020.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Claude

Re: MCN, best bikes of 2020.

Post by Claude »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:12 pm
G.P wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:05 pm
Rockburner wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:45 pm

Possibly the people who were 8-18 in the 60s and still like the look of the bikes that were around when they were just becoming properly aware of bikes? I think that might be the thinking (at least in part)
Yeah, I was into bikes from when I was about 7 yrs old so commandos, Bonnies etc were the bikes i lusted after, 10 years before I was old enough to ride one.
I must strange as I think of bikes same as washing machines and tellies. I loved my first colour telly, but wouldn't want it back.

We're all different.
Absolutely. When I was younger I really wanted the T595, 20 odd years later I went to buy one, dragged Mr OCD halfway across the country as well but I just couldn't do it. Plenty of much better newer bikes out there for the same money.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Tricky wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:43 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:53 pm The wank classes and wank choices reflect the state of British motorcycling in 2020.
When the motorcycling equivalent of a Nissan Qashqai is the best bike of 2020 there's something seriously wrong with the people buying new motorcycles in Britain.
You don't half talk some bollocks some times young man :)

But yes, I know that I do too, and am wondering if I may have perhaps missed a fair few somethings so go on then, let's have it- which ones specifically in that list do you think are "wank choices" and why?

P.S. "Not shonky enough" , " handle too well", " go too fast" or "look too nice" aren't reasons for classifying bikes as wank for me :D ;)
Sometimes, I talk bollocks all the time and frequently type things on here just to be controversial and stimulate debate.

I'll get back to you with specifics, but I do think MCNs choices are very middle aged, I remember when MCNs bikes of the year were RD350s and GSXR750s, not a touring bike, they're all good bikes, better than the old shite I like, but all a bit dull choices, even the BMW.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:07 pm
Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:53 pm The wank classes and wank choices reflect the state of British motorcycling in 2020.
When the motorcycling equivalent of a Nissan Qashqai is the best bike of 2020 there's something seriously wrong with the people buying new motorcycles in Britain.
Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:02 pm
I did see it, but IMO it's as bad as the rest, it's styled like something from the 1960s and I wonder who is buying them, anyone who rode a bike in the 60s is going to be in their 70s by now, I'm 53 and like the styling of bikes from when I was young, the 1980s

Is there anybody writing for MCN who's in touch with young people, their choices say not.
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Nobody writes for MCN, they fired all the staff about 6 years ago, a robot just recycles all the old articles and changes the bike names and photos.
G.P

Post by G.P »

What is it that people are not understanding about the list, Its not fucking difficult ?? :wtf: :wtf:

Each bike is the winner of its own category. then MCN choose an overall winner from criteria I can't be arsed to look up.

I haven't been a regular reader of MCN since the internet started giving me info, but these days, I'll always watch and mostly enjoy a "Neevesy rides"
MCN test on YouTube.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

G.P wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm What is it that people are not understanding about the list, Its not fucking difficult ?? :wtf: :wtf:

Each bike is the winner of its own category. then MCN choose an overall winner from criteria I can't be arsed to look up.

I haven't been a regular reader of MCN since the internet started giving me info, but these days, I'll always watch and mostly enjoy a "Neevesy rides"
MCN test on YouTube.
Oooooooh. Get her ...
Le_Fromage_Grande

G.P wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:01 pm What is it that people are not understanding about the list, Its not fucking difficult ?? :wtf: :wtf:

MCN test on YouTube.
Bloody hell, aren't we allowed to disagree with MCN anymore?
Honda Owner
G.P

Post by G.P »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:58 am
I'm just saying that their criteria is just as valid as yours, mine.
I'd make up my own but I don't ride cruisers, retros, leccy bikes or superbikes, so I'd struggle!
Skub

Post by Skub »

MCN test on YouTube.
I like watching mister Neeves vids too,he often wants the same things I look for in a bike,so I can relate.

I buy MCN a couple of times a year,usually for the sport pages.A casual perusal of the rest is light on content,but maybe that's an age thing. For those who've been around bikes for yonks, it's kind of granny sucking eggs shtick.

Biking has been for old men for years,I rarely see anyone under 30 and the list reflects that very much.
Anyway,my current best bike wasn't on the list and that quite pleases me. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

There are a surprising number (surprising to me at least) of youngish people at work getting into bikes.

Its really bloody long winded and expensive now though compared to what most of us would have done. As you'd expect, the car park is dominated by A2 stuff.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:25 pm but I do think MCNs choices are very middle aged
So is biking :(

Every bike meet I see is full of old gits. When I got into biking in the 90s bike meets were full of wheelies, knee down and hooligans. :evil:

Now I'm in my 40s I've got old and boring and that's fine, but I still smile when I see Yoots on 125s racing each other, pulling crap wheelies and doing naughty stuff. Sadly there aren't enough of them and lots get castigated by the old bastards for bring biking into disrepute. Get fucked you old bastards (me included) :evil:
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:25 pm but I do think MCNs choices are very middle aged

Every bike meet I see is full of old gits. When I got into biking in the 90s bike meets were full of wheelies, knee down and hooligans. :evil:

Now I'm in my 40s I've got old and boring and that's fine, but I still smile when I see Yoots on 125s racing each other, pulling crap wheelies and doing naughty stuff. Sadly there aren't enough of them and lots get castigated by the old bastards for bring biking into disrepute. Get fucked you old bastards (me included) :evil:
Well, I don't go to those awful bikers cafe type places, so I guess I can't really know, but my considered opinion is that you just hang around with the wrong people ;) - It's a state of mind, and there is no law that says you have to get old and boring and stop racing each other, pulling wheelies (crap or otherwise :D ) or doing other naughty stuff when you hit your 40s ( or 50s or 60s or 70s IMO :P )
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tricky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm Well, I don't go to those awful bikers cafe type places, so I guess I can't really know,

It's a state of mind, and there is no law that says you have to get old and boring
I was always old, just got more boring as time progressed :)

FWIW I tended to avoid 'biker nights', went to a couple to see what was what. The one near Odiham was at the Lord Derby pub on the same night as the VMCC meet, so perhaps they were secretly looking for new recruits in some sort of long-term plan?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tricky wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:25 pm
Supermofo wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:05 am

Well, I don't go to those awful bikers cafe type places, so I guess I can't really know, but my considered opinion is that you just hang around with the wrong people ;) - It's a state of mind, and there is no law that says you have to get old and boring and stop racing each other, pulling wheelies (crap or otherwise :D ) or doing other naughty stuff when you hit your 40s ( or 50s or 60s or 70s IMO :P )
I rarely go to any, but for example I went to Finchingfield on Sunday as my older brother had never been. I'm 43 and reckon I was in the youngest 10% of people. And that MCN list bares at how middle aged biking is as do the sales charts. BMW GS best selling bike for about the last 15 years

I like naughty stuff too, but nothing like as bad as I was when I was 19 :D
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:02 pm
G.P wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:05 pm Didn't you notice the Enfield in there? a 50 bhp bike is the best retro, surely that would appeal to you ;)
I did see it, but IMO it's as bad as the rest, it's styled like something from the 1960s and I wonder who is buying them, anyone who rode a bike in the 60s is going to be in their 70s by now, I'm 53 and like the styling of bikes from when I was young, the 1980s, I've got 4 80s bikes, I was hoping Honda were going to sell the CB1000 styled like a CB900F, but that's looking unlikely.

Anyway back to my original thoughts, bikes should be about having fun, bike of the year 2020 should have been the Yamaha R3 or Kawasaki Ninja 400, or their unfaired versions, what's more fun than wanging round on a bike that's easy to ride flat out everywhere?
Y’see I have an Enfield 650 in the stable amongst the others and it’s close to my favourite, looks cool goes well and the engine feels superb, it also handles brilliantly and better than any 80’s bike I’ve ever ridden. It’s a great bike to ride flat out everywhere which also looks good and is finished better than the budget bikes you mention.
Le_Fromage_Grande

G.P wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:10 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:58 am
I'm just saying that their criteria is just as valid as yours, mine.
I'd make up my own but I don't ride cruisers, retros, leccy bikes or superbikes, so I'd struggle!
I've no idea what my criteria would be - probably "is it a total money pit which I've no reason to buy and no idea what I'll do with it if I ever finish it" having spent the day trying to assemble a metal shed I'm really wondering about my sanity.

As for crap wheelies, I'm the master of crap wheelies.
Honda Owner
Potter

Post by Potter »

Cripes, an argument about which bike is best, on a bike forum - this is proper retro :clap:

Is it the best new bikes, or just the best bikes?
If the latter then I say the RD350N1 or the former then I say the new Streetfghter V4 because my mate down the pub says so.

I don't think I know what most of those new bikes look like, but I'm sure they're all good bikes, it's hard to buy a rubbish bike these days, you just pick the style and colour you want and then away you go.

Surely there is a 'Shootout' where they compare figures like Top Trumps and then the one with the biggest advertising contract wins?