would you buy a bike without an MOT

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scotsrich

Re: would you buy a bike without an MOT

Post by Scotsrich »

I’ve sold one without an MOT but the price reflected that and I was honest with what it would need.

I’d just fallen out of love with it and couldn’t even be bothered to spend a day or so getting it ready.

It’d need to be really really cheap for me to buy one especially the one you’re talking about.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

My Fazer was bought without an MOT but i checked the steering head bearings, tyres, brake pads, wheel bearings, chain and sprockets. It was a gamble but it sailed through the 1st one and also its subsequent one 12 months and almost 6000 miles later with the only addition being a new rear tyre.

That YBR looks ropey and there are too many things that "might" be wrong that you dont know enough yet to spot but hopefully your mate knows enough to keep you from being burned. The CBR sounds more cared for
Big Pete

Post by Big Pete »

I've never bought a bike with an MOT, but then I'm moderately capable of fixing whatever might be wrong with one, and they have always been cheap. Bear in mind that MOT doesn't equal good to go for very long. You can get an MOT with a shagged battery, in desperate need of a service, minimal life left in the tyres (but legal), ditto C&S, all of which can add up to close to the purchase price of an older bike.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I've not bought many WITH an MOT.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Thank you all for chipping in - I think my best bet - is to go for a 'long MOT - and learn my way around the bike.. my friend has said he will teach me bits and pieces to look for. I'm happy to learn - but right now - getting out and about sooner - and safer is my best plan :)