Helmet and gloves

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

Re: Helmet and gloves

Post by Hot_Air »

@Tigs Did you solve your glove choice, or are you still looking? Because we’re on the brink of autumnal weather, I’d recommend starting with one pair of gloves that's reliably waterproof (GoreTex or OutDry), probably with some insulation too.

But what’s your budget? If you can afford gloves with Gore Grip, OutDry or McFit waterproofing, these technologies mean the liner can’t pull out of the glove (infuriating) when you take your hand out. At the posh end (£90 upwards), some gloves have a drawstring to keep out drips and drafts (e.g. Racer Race Carbon FHH, Spidi NK-6 and Spidi Globetracker) :thumbup: Both the NK-6 and Globetracker gloves use OutDry too.

Incidentally, I recommend Nikwax Glove Proof as a prophylactic: if you apply Glove Proof to the upper side of the gloves – when they’re new and clean – then it prevents them from “wetting out” in a shower. You can use Glove Proof on the underside too, but it can make things slightly slippery for holding your bike grips. And it works on leather or textile gloves.

I agree with @Bigyin about the Pinlock :thumbup:
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

I ordered my helmet online - after visiting helmet city - so I'm not sure a shop will fit it for me.. I hope i can find a video - to make it easier!

As for gloves = i'm finding it a bit overwhelming - so many options - think I plan to order a selection that can be tried on and sent back
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Pinlock’s website has instructions with a video (and there are others on YouTube): https://pinlock.com/faq/install/
Tigs wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:35 pmAs for gloves ... I plan to order a selection that can be tried on and sent back
Good plan! I’d plump for waterproof gloves (as I mentioned) that feel comfortably snug, with insulation if you’re planning to ride through winter. MotoCAP, a useful resource from Oz, has a guide to choosing gloves: https://www.motocap.com.au/choosing-safety-gear-gloves

Also, unlike a used helmet, you can usually sell on second-hand gloves on eBay if you change your mind after using them for a while.
Tigs

Post by Tigs »

Thank you :)

You guys are really helpful .. :thumbup: