Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I picked my car up from fleet HQ last month one of my colleagues (from a different devision) was picking up his (third) new EV at the same time.

He'd been a reluctant convert to EVs, basically having it forced on him for financial reasons. In his own words "he could not have been more wrong". Said man lives near Northampton and has one daughter at Uni in Notts and another in Lincoln. He does the "Uni Run" in his EV in all cases, never once been caught short. He doesn't have a dedicated charger at home, he three pin sockets it...still never been caught out.

Two of my neighbours have Leafs, I've never spoken to them but their cars are always parked on the street....I.e. they don't have charging at home.

Point is...YMM(literally)V, you can find an anecdote to prove anything. :D
Taipan

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Taipan »

I was flirting with the idea of a Tesla a while back. I'm glad I decided against it now. I still think I'll get a leccy car and bike, but not yet...
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

I'm rather liking my Ampera.
Took it for its MoT the other week.
All the lads in the garage were interested in it...haven't seen any others up here.
It's a very relaxing car to drive, although I only get half way to Inverness on the battery at this time of year, so the engine kicks in for all of the bit down Loch Ness. I also use 'hold' for the first 5 miles or so, so that the engine is on and provides heat.
Have got an old PodPoint charger to fit, to replace the granny charger, and once that is sorted, with the higher amperage, I'll be able to pre-heat it before heading out.
I wasn't sure I'd made a wise purchase when I first got it, but I'm quite happy with it now and think I'll have it for a good few years.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Audi advert during the Ch4 F1 coverage had "based on 350kWh charger"
I can't think the Audi organisation of old would had made such an error.
Fehler in der Technik as they might say in Germany.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm giving serious thought to a BMW 530e M Sport iPerformace (to give it a full title). 2019ish less than 40k, seems cheap at £24k with all the toys.

I can charge the small ish battery at work in three hours and it might just cover my full commute in pure electric mode (one way)

In all honesty I've never driven a hybrid, my commute is quite hilly with lots of traffic lights (Sheffield outer ring road, Manor top, gleadless, etc..). In my diesel volvo it seems the pulling away from the lights uses the most fuel. Would a hybrid do the pulling away in leccy mode and switch to petrol or just give it a boost?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

No idea about the Beemer, but on my Lexus pulling away on a hill, or at anything above a very sluggish getaway on the level causes the engine to fire up. Newer cars may be better, the pure electric capacity on mine is pretty limited.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:33 am No idea about the Beemer, but on my Lexus pulling away on a hill, or at anything above a very sluggish getaway on the level causes the engine to fire up. Newer cars may be better, the pure electric capacity on mine is pretty limited.
My (not a plug-in) hybrid is the same but it is giving 70mpg average on mainly short journeys so the electric only or added oomph on pulling away does help. However, I imagine the battery pack on a plug-in is bigger so should spend more time in electric mode?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

AFAIK you can force a 530e to stay in e mode if you want.

As for how long it stays in e mode or whatever, it varies massively from car to car, which driving mode you're in and how you drive it.

My car will use the e motor to help you up a hill and then regen on the way down (the drive train is linked to the satnag) but only if you're in eco mode. If you push push "the click" on the pedal it will fire up the engine though. Unless you're catching the car in front too quickly though, in which case it won't help you up the hill.

YMMV alot basically.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

This content is not available in your country/region.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:49 pm
A five-alarm fire in the Bronx injured seven people on Sunday, officials said. KTLA’s sister station WPIX reports.
The fire started around 10:40 a.m. at Concourse Food Plaza at 2096 Grand Concourse and East 181st Street, according to the FDNY. They say the fire was caused by a lithium-ion battery from an e-bike. Within five minutes, the flames spread to the entire interior of the supermarket and to a laundromat next door, officials said. It took more than 200 firefighters and 50 units to put out the fire.

Five FDNY firefighters, an EMS worker, and a civilian were injured in the fire, according to Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanagh. Their injuries were not life-threatening and all were in stable condition.
“It’s an extraordinary amount of damage from this single bike,” Kavanagh said. “This really shows you how incredibly serious this can be.”
The fire occurred just a few days after the New York City Council passed new legislation to regulate lithium-ion batteries that power e-bikes. The legislation bans the sale of unregulated lithium-ion batteries in New York City.

Lithium-ion batteries can pose a severe hazard when modified or stored improperly, according to the FDNY. More than 200 fires in New York City were connected to lithium-ion batteries in 2022, according to the City Council. That includes a November fire sparked by another e-bike that injured more than three dozen people.

Lithium-ion batteries have also been to blame for recent fires on planes. Last month, a flight bound for New Jersey was forced to return to San Diego International shortly after takeoff when an external battery pack caught fire in the cabin.
Last edited by ZRX61 on Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fk ... nx-fdny%2F

See the 12ft ladder thread :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm

I've seen the thread, I've posted on the thread, I ain't wasting my time chasing every blind link all over the internet if'n there's no context posted to see if it's worth clicking let alone P'ing about with URL modifiers.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:01 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:00 pm

I've seen the thread, I've posted on the thread, I ain't wasting my time chasing every blind link all over the internet if'n there's no context posted to see if it's worth clicking let alone P'ing about with URL modifiers.
I quoted the entire report an hour before you posted that...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

No wonder they cost more to insure...

https://climatechangedispatch.com/insur ... -benefits/
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm No wonder they cost more to insure...

And the source? A climate change denial site.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:39 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:57 pm No wonder they cost more to insure...

And the source? A climate change denial site.
The source is quoted at the end of the report, all CCD does is post links. There are also several sources linked in the report. No need to be afraid.
cheb

Post by cheb »

I might or might not, I've not had to consider it. Elder spawn has though, and having thrown an i10 into a ditch* has just bought a Prius. It'll be interesting to see one close up and in use.

*Slid off the road in the snow at slow speed, down a short bank and nearly into a loch. No injuries but not a straight panel on the car. That's both of my spawn that have written off an i10.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

cheb wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:57 am I might or might not, I've not had to consider it. Elder spawn has though, and having thrown an i10 into a ditch* has just bought a Prius. It'll be interesting to see one close up and in use.
Hired a taxi to do a reasonably long journey so I could collect a bike I'd bought. Chap turned up in a Prius. I was expecting it to be v boring but was quite impressed with it. Better finish inside and much more roomy than I expected. Did about 80-90 miles of motorway, A roads and B roads. Pretty good all round.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

It's the large battery version and will be mostly used on island so range isn't likely to be a problem. Spawn is also very good at not letting ice car's fuel get too low so plugging it automatically shouldn't be a problem.