Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 pm That's understandable, battery fires are hard to put out and if that is packed in tightly with a load of fuel tanks then it's likely to cause a problem. Maybe they'll have battery only crossings when there's enough demand.
What about Channel Tunnel. A fire in there would be scary.
Felix

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Felix »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:38 pm
Mussels wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:30 pm That's understandable, battery fires are hard to put out and if that is packed in tightly with a load of fuel tanks then it's likely to cause a problem. Maybe they'll have battery only crossings when there's enough demand.
What about Channel Tunnel. A fire in there would be scary.
Then all the drive through tunnels in the likes of Switzerland and Italy. We dont need a repeat of the Mont Blanc Tunnel fire.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

IIRC the Channel Tunnel has stricter rules than ferries about LPG, but it's a different shape parking area, has escape tunnels and won't sink. Maybe they are considering a change, dunno.
cheb

Post by cheb »

The Kyle of Lochalsh ferry used to do special runs when the LPG tanker was on it, no petrol vehicles allowed. That the ticket taker invariably had a cigarette dangling from his mouth wasn't a fire risk.

Currently the LPG tanker is parked at the back of the ferry in front of the stern ramp, and the vessel has to have an open deck. The fire plan is lower the ramp and push.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I saw a nice car in the car park the other day.

'Ooh', I said, 'Nice car. Wonder what it is. Oh, it's a Kia EV6 GT.'

Looked at the price. 62 grand.

62 bags for a fucking Kia. :o Has the world gone mad?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Docca

Post by Docca »

Still like mine.

Charging is roughly £1.40 a night, on nights I need to charge.

The software updates are painless and the range of apps greatly improved.

That said- I took the Guzzi to work today 😀
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Docca wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm Still like mine.

How did you get back? :think:

Sorry... :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:50 pm I saw a nice car in the car park the other day.

It's sister car, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, is only £45-60k :thumbup:

Better lookin' too.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:07 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:50 pm I saw a nice car in the car park the other day.

It's sister car, the Hyundai Ioniq 5, is only £45-60k :thumbup:

Better lookin' too.
In fairness, the Kia EV6 is 45k too... the GT is a rare 577bhp variant. There isn't a Ioniq 5 variant yet, though there's one coming.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The MG 4 is a nice little EV. Takes off well, nice interior and the looks definitely grow on you.
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:07 pm The MG 4 is a nice little EV. Takes off well, nice interior and the looks definitely grow on you.
I have a friend that works in servicing at a dealer that does MG, the advice was to avoid like the plague as they really struggle to get parts.
Monstyr

Post by Monstyr »

For good or ill, ive just bought a Peugeot e 2008, im looking forward to buzzing around now.

Wonder where the clutch went?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

An article I found interesting about the value (or lack of) of second hand electric cars:

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish ... ead/279724
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Docca wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:13 pm Still like mine.

So about how many miles per KWh?
Or how many miles are you doing per day?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Dunno about the former.

The latter varies. Sometimes none, most days less than 50. Twice a week 100.

Range during winter is 200 miles which isn’t the best, but I don’t need more at the moment.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

As soon as he mentioned SunRun I knew he was fucked. Their solar panel installation teams have been installing shit that's not up to code all over Ca...

ace llani

Post by ace llani »

Apologies - not kept up with the thread, but just an update on my life with the Leaf.

Yesterday, spur of the moment trip to Llandrindod Wells to pick up some parts, 48 mile round trip from my house.

50 miles showing on the charge, but this basically tells you there's no way you'll do 50 miles on it.

No problem I thought...

There is a BP Pulse rapid charger in Llandod, half mile from my destination. 20 minute splash n dash and job jobbed.
Checked Zap Map, last used an hour ago.

Got to the charger to come home, screen is frozen on the charger so can't begin. Call the helpline number on the unit, helpful lady reboots the charger, which takes 5 mins.

After the reboot, screen comes to life, game on..

Open the Pulse app to start a charge, poor signal so slow.
I have £3.90 i=credit, but you need £5 minimum to start a charge, so I have to top it up, again slow.

Credit added, plug in, try to charge, error.
Try again, in case it's a glitch. Same error.

Call Pulse again. Was told the Chademo charging side of the unit must be faulty, but they're being fazed out for CCS, and they don't plan on fixing Chademo points as a result.
CCS side was working, so that's why Zap Map said the unit's operational..

So, I realistically don't have enough charge to crawl home, but I can stop in Rhayader and use one of the four fairly new Dragon Charge points en route.
These are 22 kilowatt AC. My Leaf (2016) can only charge at 7 kilowatts maximum on AC. So - it takes 4 hours to charge fully at this rate, which by the book gives you 120 miles. Day was very cold, which the batteries hate, so you're looking at 80 miles. So, my splash and dash, to add 20 miles to be on the "safe side" will take an hour :thumbdown:

Rolling up to the charger, the car tells me I don't have sufficient charge to get home. Plug in to the Dragon charger, green light on top of 3 out of the 4 says working, OK.
Plug in, app never works, so scan the QR code and go the the website. Find a charger near me finds the inop. unit next door, but not mine, so can't start a charge :thumbdown:
Call the helpline number on the unit.. helpful man checks it out, and as I have a Dragon account, with enough credit, he can start a charge remotely for me.
I then wait for the battery to creep up to 30 miles, to cover my 12 mile trip home (an hour).

Just coming towards home, car shows 12 miles left..
48 mile round trip, 3 stressful, hours

I drive it like a Chelsea Pensioner, make good use of the regeneration system, always on eco mode (restricted power) and wrap up warm so I don't need the heater.
So basically, the day is nigh when the car becomes a shopping trolley. Great investment.

Then
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Yesterday I was thinking that an EV might be a good idea if they are nicer to drive than the almost ubiquitous automatics we seem to have now. Thanks for that bump back to common sense.