Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by G.P »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:03 am
YKIMS :)
Thought you'd approve! :D :D
formula400

Post by formula400 »

found out I need a new RF receiver from Polypipe for our under floor heating, as upstairs has stopped working, ordered it, its coming tomorrow and hope I don't electrocute my self fitting it :mrgreen:
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just back from being a ski shuttle!! LOL Sort of

Couple of friends wanted to do the run from the top of out bit of resort down to a place the buses don't run at the moment. He has a car with 4WD and winter tyres (English, but I drive both out here!).

So, I just did two loops of the resort in an automatic Ford Kuga. I really like Auto on snow (lots of snow - just can't work out how to get the video from my phone to here!).

And it went from zero visibility when I dropped them at the top the first time to sunny, then just a bit cloudy!! Awesome to see the grins on their faces!!

If I get back from the valley in time tomorrow, he's offered to drive me so I can have a ski :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Yawned while taking a shower this morning & accidentally inhaled a huge clump (is that the right word?) of soap suds.

I don't recommend you try it...
formula400

Post by formula400 »

did some kettle bell swings in the garden, not allowed out the house this week.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Made a crib board.

Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm If I get back from the valley in time tomorrow, he's offered to drive me so I can have a ski :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
What could possibly go wrong? :shock:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm Made a crib board.

I miss playing Crib!! :(

Skub wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:58 pm If I get back from the valley in time tomorrow, he's offered to drive me so I can have a ski :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
What could possibly go wrong? :shock:
LOL Fair point - but I have skied twice so far, so won't be the first outing!! LOL :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Oil/filter change on the Accord. Had a hip xray.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I've been bloody gypped again. Yesterday it was discovering that Huckleberries are in fact Blueberries (even if some of them are red), Today I discovered that Marionberries are just Blackberries with good PR.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Took advantage of some *alone time* to give my three oil drain pans a proper cleaning in the kitchen sink..
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:48 am I've been bloody gypped again. Yesterday it was discovering that Huckleberries are in fact Blueberries (even if some of them are red), Today I discovered that Marionberries are just Blackberries with good PR.
Are they the QAnon version?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yambo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:24 pm Made a crib board.

Was that your own idea?
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I think cribbage has been around for about 300 years and the board, probably a bit less than that but it's certainly not an original idea of mine. :P

It's the way it is because I was limited in the amount and type of wood i had available (the top piece is a bit of sapele out of my model making supplies and the bottom is a bit of pine I think that I rescued from a load of old wood I was going to chop up for firewood. There's a scar on the other side where a nail had been :) ) I wanted to make two tracks of 40 holes so up down and back up to finish but the sapele wasn't long enough for that and I think 30 holes is more traditional. The two sets of 5 holes in the middle is to count games won.

The little drawer for the pegs was based on me remembering the one we had in the house when I was a kid and started playing the game. It's just a bit of playing with the router to make it. It's a bit slack so I might make another one. :oops: The pegs are 25mm long bits of 3mm dia aluminium bar, again from the modelling supplies box.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Working on the wife's car and one of my neighbours strolls over and starts yakking, as he often does. He asks if I would be interested in, or knew anyone that would be, in his wife's car? I said no and not much is selling at the moment etc. He said he didn't really know what to do with it. I said doesn't your wife want it anymore? He replied, no use to her anymore, she died a couple of days ago! :shock: Never known anyone to be so matter of fact about a loved ones death before!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Trying to see what can be done with half-used, or in one case, unopened, pots of paint. I thought youth clubs, etc might want them, or charities, but apparently not. Tried asking around friends with kids starting out with new homes, but nope.

Just been down the tip for something unrelated* and asked it they had a donation point, which they do for certain items, but nope. Just dump it, is what I was advised. Seems criminally wasteful.

*A huge cardboard box and two of the biggest blocks of polystyrene I've ever seen. We had a sofa delivered. In a cardboard box with two huge polystyrene blocks in the corners. Who delivers a fucking sofa in a cardboard box? :wtf:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:56 am Working on the wife's car and one of my neighbours strolls over and starts yakking, as he often does. He asks if I would be interested in, or knew anyone that would be, in his wife's car? I said no and not much is selling at the moment etc. He said he didn't really know what to do with it. I said doesn't your wife want it anymore? He replied, no use to her anymore, she died a couple of days ago! :shock: Never known anyone to be so matter of fact about a loved ones death before!
Maybe she wasn't a loved one,though....
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:35 pm Trying to see what can be done with half-used, or in one case, unopened, pots of paint. I thought youth clubs, etc might want them, or charities, but apparently not. Tried asking around friends with kids starting out with new homes, but nope.

Just been down the tip for something unrelated* and asked it they had a donation point, which they do for certain items, but nope. Just dump it, is what I was advised. Seems criminally wasteful.

*A huge cardboard box and two of the biggest blocks of polystyrene I've ever seen. We had a sofa delivered. In a cardboard box with two huge polystyrene blocks in the corners. Who delivers a fucking sofa in a cardboard box? :wtf:
Major piss boiling point round here as bin men wont take them if they see them in the bags and the tip wont take them either. So, nobody knows what to do with them? So its in the public bins with them!
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:35 pm Trying to see what can be done with half-used, or in one case, unopened, pots of paint. I thought youth clubs, etc might want them, or charities, but apparently not. Tried asking around friends with kids starting out with new homes, but nope.

Tried https://communityrepaint.org.uk/ ?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:37 pm
Major piss boiling point round here as bin men wont take them if they see them in the bags and the tip wont take them either. So, nobody knows what to do with them? So its in the public bins with them!
F-I-L was a binman (man and boy, 'ardest job in the world, etc, etc) and he once told me that paint tins in the bin lorries are bad news as they explode when crushed and either run out in the road, covering cars and leading to claims, etc. or jamming up the mechanisms, so fair play on not putting them in black bags. Bromley, IIRC, will collect them is the tins are left next to the bins as they have a cage on th elorry they can put them in (may have changed, haven't chucked any paint away in years now I'm middle-aged, see above).

But if the tip won't accept them, what are people going to do? Council has sort of made a rod for it's own back.

My piss boiler was the cardboard. I left it out with the cardboard & paper collection boxes, but they left it (granted, it was a fair bit to man-handle), which means I have to get in my car, cause pollution and traffic by queuing at the tip, when their bin lorry was stopped right by my house. I'm tempted, next time I see them, to get a tenner out of my wallet, go to hand it through the window, then put it back saying, 'You could have had it, but I understand you only take paper if it's in the proper box...sorry!'