Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 pm On May 2, 2022, CAISO reported that California's electrical demands were met 100% by renewable energy sources for the first time. This was maintained for nearly 15 minutes. During this period, 12,391 of the 18,000 megawatts (68.8%) of statewide electrical demand were generated by PV systems alone. [58][/i][/size]
Ooooh!! 15 minutes!!.. so 1/96th of the day... ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:17 pm On May 2, 2022, CAISO reported that California's electrical demands were met 100% by renewable energy sources for the first time. This was maintained for nearly 15 minutes. During this period, 12,391 of the 18,000 megawatts (68.8%) of statewide electrical demand were generated by PV systems alone. [58][/i][/size]
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:57 pm What would the environmental cost be to accomplish this only using wind and solar energy technologies, meaning California’s existing wind and solar capacity would have to increase at least ten-fold?

Well someone's telling porkies. It would have to increase 10 fold, despite the fact it's already been done (for 15 mins :D )
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 pm Well someone's telling porkies. It would have to increase 10 fold, despite the fact it's already been done (for 15 mins :D )
What percentage of EV's were plugged in during those 15 minutes? ;) I'd also be interested in knowing what time of day it happened, the link doesn't say.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm guessing it wasn't at night.

I've posted on here before the paper from the National Grid which shows (in the UK) that even if everyone switched to an EV tomorrow demand would still be less than in was in 2016. Why 2016? That's when UK consumption peaked.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:14 pm I'm guessing it wasn't at night.

I've posted on here before the paper from the National Grid which shows (in the UK) that even if everyone switched to an EV tomorrow demand would still be less than in was in 2016. Why 2016? That's when UK consumption peaked.
If everyone switched to an EV and all of them plugged it in at the same time the UK demand would probably hit a new peak a fair bit higher than 2016. And the Grid would likely trip.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's not what the national grid reckon.

The peak was actually 2002, not 2016. I remembered it wrong.

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories/jo ... onceptions
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:22 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:14 pm I'm guessing it wasn't at night.

If everyone switched to an EV and all of them plugged it in at the same time the UK demand would probably hit a new peak a fair bit higher than 2016. And the Grid would likely trip.
I think everyone plugging in an 'empty' electric car at the same time is unlikely.

Isn't the idea that electric cars can buffer the grid?

I might replace my aging barry'd up saloon and would consider hybrid, plug in hybrid and full electric.

I do need excellent range and speed though, in order to travel swiftly through the firmament making million pound business, million pound business, million pound business, INNIT!
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 pm That's not what the national grid reckon.

So how come the National Grid is concerned about blackouts THIS winter, not if/when we all are forced into EVs?

Either we have enough capacity or we don't. Someone, somewhere is being economical with the actualite.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:45 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 pm That's not what the national grid reckon.

So how come the National Grid is concerned about blackouts THIS winter, not if/when we all are forced into EVs?

Either we have enough capacity or we don't. Someone, somewhere is being economical with the actualite.
That might be due to gas shortages caused by the war and ting.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Asian Boss wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:57 pm

That might be due to gas shortages caused by the war and ting.

Yay! Luckily there'll be no gas shortages when everyone has an EV!

No wars!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're concerned due to the availability of fuel, not the technical capacity of the grid itself. That ^^^ article is talking about what the grid is/will be capable of, assuming you've got fuel to put in the power stations be it gas, coal, uranium or sunlight etc. The current crisis is down to a problem with fuel supply, not the capacity of the grid/infrastructure.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:02 am They're concerned due to the availability of fuel, not the technical capacity of the grid itself. That ^^^ article is talking about what the grid is/will be capable of, assuming you've got fuel to put in the power stations be it gas, coal, uranium or sunlight etc. The current crisis is down to a problem with fuel supply, not the capacity of the grid/infrastructure.
So why are the National Grid funding trials of customers being encourage (with £ notes) to reduce peak demand? Surely if it is just a generating/fuel issue it should be the generating companies? Something, somewhere, doesn't quite add up.

I am sure you are right that a major problem is the lack of fuel for generation, but I have a sneaking suspicion that all is not well with the grid itself. In the last 10 years the pattern of consumption has changed a bit (like it always does), and the pattern of generation has changed a lot. Where are the new HV lines to take the green power from wind/solar farms to the consumers? I would have expected to see some major new pylon or UG routes being built, I haven't heard of much happening, and given that either OH or UG routes are a bit disruptive while being built I would have expected to have heard the complaints.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:18 am So why are the National Grid funding trials of customers being encourage (with £ notes) to reduce peak demand? Surely if it is just a generating/fuel issue it should be the generating companies? Something, somewhere, doesn't quite add up.
Put that in context, though. That's just one piece of research from a multitude.

And, along similar 'payment' themes, the Dutch used a similar format to encourage people to avoid congested roads and a trial years ago paid people to be 'better' drivers (keep within speed limit, maintain longer headways).

There's also been (long term - decades) research and development into using remote switching to ease peak demand, potentially temporarily switching off appliances or equipment, for example during 'half time' surges*.

* which also affect water demand when everyone flushes at the same time.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:51 pm
That video relies on debunking the myth that EVs will fix global warning. I don't remember anyone of any importance saying it would fix global warming, any chance the video creators made it up?
Horse

Post by Horse »

I doubt that anyone here is looking for a fleet purchase. But on the off-chance :)

https://batteriesnews.com/caterpillar-s ... ng-ground/

Caterpillar successfully demonstrates first battery electric large mining truck and invests in sustainable proving ground.

Caterpillar Inc. (NYSE: CAT) announced a successful demonstration of its first battery electric 793 large mining truck and a significant investment to transform its Arizona-based proving ground into a sustainable testing and validation hub of the future.

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am That video relies on debunking the myth that EVs will fix global warning. I don't remember anyone of any importance saying it would fix global warming, any chance the video creators made it up?
Biden & Newsolini are always spouting that EV's will fix global warming, but I agree with you that neither are people of importance, unfortunately they both have the power to completely fuck things up.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:51 am That video relies on debunking the myth that EVs will fix global warning. I don't remember anyone of any importance saying it would fix global warming, any chance the video creators made it up?
If it isn't going to fix global warming then why the f*** are we legislating to force it on the UK? I have no problem with EVs, I just don't want one.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 pm
If it isn't going to fix global warming then why the f*** are we legislating to force it on the UK? I have no problem with EVs, I just don't want one.
I think it's to improve air quality in cities, I never drive there so not sure why the backwards step is being forced on me as well.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:44 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:41 pm
I think it's to improve air quality in cities, I never drive there so not sure why the backwards step is being forced on me as well.
I only have one local city. In reality it is a small/medium town. Air pollution is not a problem.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!