A right now thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Horse

Re: A right now thread

Post by Horse »

Mussels wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:58 am Looking at my bamboo bent in half I'm reconsidering my choice to use it as a screening hedge,
Do you have it in pots, or somehow constrained from spreading?

Our neighbours have a row of them. Bloody things send out underground shoots. Found one over a metre away from the main plant.

And when its windy the arch over the fence - took out a section once. But it's his fence.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I thought about winter tyres and they would have made more sense when I was working but now it seems a bitt OTT for the odd days where a) they'd make a difference and b) I have to drive.

The other thing that becomes abundantly clear in this sort of weather is that 90% of people haven't got a clue about driving on snow and ice and many think that the common form of 4WD is some sort of magic grip making system. :lol: (I had my old LWB Land Rover - with some proper rubber - on throwing shapes once upon a time....but I was trying v hard and the snow was a few inches deep :D )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

The tyres on the Defender are big grippy things, I can't remember the name now but they're about as much as you'll ever need for any terrain, the problem is they're not great road tyres. The ones on the Range Rover are road tyres and we were sliding a bit the other day driving home in the early evening, but the electronics cover most of it up. I reckon I could get through most stuff in them even if I have to drop the pressure to really low to get us moving in a really slippy bit.

The Defender hasn't moved out of the garage for weeks, if that comes out then it's bad because everyone prefers the comfort of the Range Rover.

The old couple in the other house on our lane couldn't get out because of ice, so we just popped down to the builders merchants and bought a load of road grit/salt and did the lane. I'm expecting to the be the talk of the village now because it's a bit muddy now it's melted all the ice and the dog walkers will be complaining about the state of their shoes.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:58 am Looking at my bamboo bent in half I'm reconsidering my choice to use it as a screening hedge, now waiting to see if it springs back up in a few days
It will, but you may find other reasons to regret it. Bloody invasive thug, and that just the ones sold as "Non invasive". DAMHIKT
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Michelin Cross Climates for the win / compromise.
I've used them for years and never not been able to complete my journey / commute, daughter and wife also use them.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mussels wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:52 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:40 pm No. I told my wife to take my car tomorrow and will show her how to put in snow mode. She should be fine, but I'll nervously await her return tomorrow afternoon! :crazy:
I was smug when I had the Jeep with all season tyres and loved going out in snow but I saw several other 4x4s sliding out of control on summer tyres, the tyres are more important than the drive system.
The other problem that became obvious quickly is that although I could move other people couldn't and I often ended up stuck behind other cars.
I grew to hate VW intelligent electronics - because, not only did they stop me being able to drive up a mountain road, you couldn't turn the electronic stuff off :roll: :roll:

As you say, decent tyres, understanding of how to drive and it should be ok, but the bastard electronics sometimes fuck it all up!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I just used my snow chains for the first time, plastic rather than metal so I don't have to keep taking them off. I nearly didn't make it up the first hill as oncoming traffic stopped my run up, thankfully they gripped just enough, and my wife got to work but they look more impressive and capable than they are.

Steering a rear wheel drive car on wide summer tyres was interesting, chains on the back don't do much for that.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:38 am
Mussels wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:58 am Looking at my bamboo bent in half I'm reconsidering my choice to use it as a screening hedge, now waiting to see if it springs back up in a few days
It will, but you may find other reasons to regret it. Bloody invasive thug, and that just the ones sold as "Non invasive". DAMHIKT
It's all in planters so shouldn't be troubling my neighbours. One neighbour has some really old bamboo unrestrained that hasn't spread so there are some types that are ok.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:52 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 11:40 pm No. I told my wife to take my car tomorrow and will show her how to put in snow mode. She should be fine, but I'll nervously await her return tomorrow afternoon! :crazy:
I was smug when I had the Jeep with all season tyres and loved going out in snow but I saw several other 4x4s sliding out of control on summer tyres, the tyres are more important than the drive system.
The other problem that became obvious quickly is that although I could move other people couldn't and I often ended up stuck behind other cars.
I did think about winter tyres but it has 22" wheels on so they'll be a fortune. I'e looked at 2nd set of wheels and it'd be cheaper todoit that way and of course protect my good wheels, but then realistically how much snow do we ever get in the sarf east. Plus the wifes mini is superb at going up our hill. A few years back She went round my neighbours q7 that was stuck! :lol:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Eating a toasted cheese, ham and mustard sandwich, done in a Breville toaster.

Feel the power of my sealed edges and the heat of the molten cheese within.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pfft. I had a McDonald's apple pie the other day. I laugh at your mere molten cheese!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Being very quiet in the villa coz SWMBO is on a Zoom call speed awareness course upstairs :D

It's 3 bloody hours.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm Zoom....... speed awareness course
Well I laughed.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm Being very quiet in the villa coz SWMBO is on a Zoom call speed awareness course upstairs :D

It's 3 bloody hours.
Wifey did one of those earlier in the year, got caught for something like 44 in a 40 in Wales. As she went past the camera van I remarked that it was a 40 limit, that was a camera van, she seemed to be going too fast. Because I knew what the speed limit was and had seen the van it was my fault she got caught. She did the course from the camper somewhere in southern Spain.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:12 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:35 pm Being very quiet in the villa coz SWMBO is on a Zoom call speed awareness course upstairs :D

It's 3 bloody hours.
Wifey did one of those earlier in the year, got caught for something like 44 in a 40 in Wales. As she went past the camera van I remarked that it was a 40 limit, that was a camera van, she seemed to be going too fast. Because I knew what the speed limit was and had seen the van it was my fault she got caught. She did the course from the camper somewhere in southern Spain.
She was 46 in a 40. Bloody hooligan :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Right now I wish there was an interesting non-bikes found on the internet thread, cos I REALLY love this...

https://ironandair.com/ringbrothers-1948-chevy-truck/

Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm Right now I wish there was an interesting non-bikes found on the internet thread, cos I REALLY love this...

No mirrors? Tick
No mudguards? Tick
Brown seat? Can't tell

;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:50 pm Right now I wish there was an interesting non-bikes found on the internet thread, cos I REALLY love this...

You can start a thread y'know, but that really is the silliest Chevvy truck job I've seen. No secret that I'd like a 50s stepside wagon...but I'd actually like to drive it in the real world.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bit of a stretch to call it a Chevvy truck :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Having a couple of beers with a pal at my fave bar.
There's about 40 folk sat about enjoying the warm sun.
But I just looked around and we're the youngest by about 10 years :D

It's the clever old farts from UK spending 3 months here escaping the shit UK weather.

And they're certainly enjoying the cheap booze prices :D