It’s been standing a while

MyLittleStudPony

Re: Cars on your want list?

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Pop that straight in the bin.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:25 am I've had luxury cars, fast cars, old cars, French cars and the only thing I think I'd want again is my Transit. Possibly an old 2+2 convertible as a second car, something that can wake me up at legal speeds.
I'd happily have our old banana engine transit back, although I suspect that it's rusted to death by now.

I sold it to a bloke who had a massive argument with his wife on our driveway because she didn't want him to buy it, it was a decent van and when I pointed that out she ripped into me as well :lol:

She wanted him to buy a new Transporter from a VW garage down the road and not a "fifteen hundred quid pile off old crap off a driveway". She was actually really insulting, insulted me, my van, etc, but out of pity I kept my mouth shut, he was a proper chinless wimp and she was like a bulldog, if I'd have said anything back to her I suspect his day would have only gotten worse.

He bought it and she drove off in a huff.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

RS6 Avant
Quickest bloke at the tip!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gregor wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:18 am
It’s been standing a while
You can leave em standing on the bottom of the sea and they'll still be fine, ISTR.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:12 am
Pirahna wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:35 am
You took a bit of convincing but once you get into vans there's no going back.
If you have a van then you’re the sort of person that (obviously) needs one at least some of the time and then everything else afterwards gets compared to the van and rarely makes better sense.
So yeah, once you’ve had a van then you’re hooked.

I think that’s why I like my big 4x4s, they’ve got all the practical advantages of a van but staggering luxury and comfort as well.
Can you get a motorbike (or two) in the back of your 4x4? If not, they don't have all the practical advantages of a van
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm
Can you get a motorbike (or two) in the back of your 4x4? If not, they don't have all the practical advantages of a van
I have a Moto-lug trailer that fits in my 4x4 and then assembles as and when I need it.

It’s not perfect if you only use it for moving motorcycles but it’s close enough and the advantages/disadvantages work nicely.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:31 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:36 pm
I have a Moto-lug trailer that fits in my 4x4 and then assembles as and when I need it.

It’s not perfect if you only use it for moving motorcycles but it’s close enough and the advantages/disadvantages work nicely.
Yes, it's a trade off. With a van you cut out all the faff of assembling a trailer and bikes are inside and protected from rain and prying eyes, but you don't get the creature comforts and oasis of calm you get in a 4x4.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Gregor wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:18 am We’ve (my son)just bought a pick up…..old skool :P
That looks really clean!
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

ChrisW wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:50 pm

That looks really clean!
Apart from the faded paint it’s actually in decent nick, Toyota know how to build em, the bodywork has very little corrosion.

The only issue is possibly a leaky rad.

My lads just set off for Bonn where he lives and on to France/ Swiss border for a job, hopefully picking up some rad weld on the way :P

Sunny

Post by Sunny »

I have a hankering for a Land Rover 110 Defender (a recent one so that it has some comfort, but the 'proper' <2016 version). Despite the horror stories of rotten bulkheads etc.

I need a test drive to see if I really want one, or just like the idea of one... :D
David

Post by David »

Sunny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:56 pm I have a hankering for a Land Rover 110 Defender (a recent one so that it has some comfort, but the 'proper' <2016 version). Despite the horror stories of rotten bulkheads etc.

I need a test drive to see if I really want one, or just like the idea of one... :D
Don't do it. Keep the dream.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Gregor wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:36 pm hopefully picking up some rad weld on the way :P
He can use the other 4 for a breakfast omelette
Potter

Post by Potter »

Sunny wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:56 pm I have a hankering for a Land Rover 110 Defender (a recent one so that it has some comfort, but the 'proper' <2016 version). Despite the horror stories of rotten bulkheads etc.

People tried to put me off.

My dad had one when I was a nipper, an old 110 with free wheel rotating front hubs, etc.
So I had a hankering for one and round about 2003/4 I bought a Td5, against all the advice from people that said I'd regret it, but I didn't, I absolutely loved it and kept it until we moved to the Middle East, then I sold it because I thought it wouldn't be good to leave it sat there not being used.

Massive regret.
And within a year I looked at buying another but Td5s had gone through the roof and so I decided to buy a blinded up 2014 Puma, it's an XS version that had been done up by a company like Bowler/Twisted/SMC/etc. I got it when it was a year old and had done about 30k miles.
It's got loads of upgrades, sound insulation and whilst it doesn't have the soul of the earlier ones, it is very civilised for a Defender and it will sit all day at 90mph on the motorway whilst you're having a conversation without shouting.

It sits in the garage unused, it does about 500 miles a year, but I don't think it's depreciating and hopefully I'd get all my money back if I sell it, but I probably won't, I think I'm likely to die with it. My kids don't like it, so they'll probably sell it though.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The car on my want list I bought about 18 months ago. Its a Range Rover Velar which has a beautiful light and airy cabin space and is very well appointed and i love driving it. Trouble is I don't very often and its expensive to tax and insure and the warranty each month is a lot too. So its an expensive ornament most of the time. I do more miles each year in my camper which despite being a manual I love driving. :crazy:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:56 pm

People tried to put me off.

My dad had one when I was a nipper, an old 110 with free wheel rotating front hubs, etc.
So I had a hankering for one and round about 2003/4 I bought a Td5, against all the advice from people that said I'd regret it, but I didn't, I absolutely loved it and kept it until we moved to the Middle East, then I sold it because I thought it wouldn't be good to leave it sat there not being used.

Massive regret.
And within a year I looked at buying another but Td5s had gone through the roof and so I decided to buy a blinded up 2014 Puma, it's an XS version that had been done up by a company like Bowler/Twisted/SMC/etc. I got it when it was a year old and had done about 30k miles.
It's got loads of upgrades, sound insulation and whilst it doesn't have the soul of the earlier ones, it is very civilised for a Defender and it will sit all day at 90mph on the motorway whilst you're having a conversation without shouting.

It sits in the garage unused, it does about 500 miles a year, but I don't think it's depreciating and hopefully I'd get all my money back if I sell it, but I probably won't, I think I'm likely to die with it. My kids don't like it, so they'll probably sell it though.
That's good to hear - I think I'm too used to modern bells and whistles to go fully ex-MOD or similar (feel free to sell it to me, of course 👍)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:56 pm I'd get all my money back if I sell it, but I probably won't, I think I'm likely to die with it. My kids don't like it, so they'll probably sell it though.
You can probably work out some sort of Viking funeral thing.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Nothing put me off owning a Range Rover more than actually owning a Range Rover.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think everyone here has seen me wax on about how good my Range Rover is. IMHO it’s the best car in the world.
It’s an early L322, arguably the last proper RR, gorgeous dark blue with cream leather interior and everyone likes it, even the youngsters.

It’s only worth a few grand at best, so I’m not precious about it and so far it’s cost me nothing but normal maintenance. It’s heavy on juice mind, 10-15mpg.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:06 am I think everyone here has seen me wax on about how good my Range Rover is. IMHO it’s the best car in the world.
It’s an early L322, arguably the last proper RR, gorgeous dark blue with cream leather interior and everyone likes it, even the youngsters.

It’s only worth a few grand at best, so I’m not precious about it and so far it’s cost me nothing but normal maintenance. It’s heavy on juice mind, 10-15mpg.
Based upon what Wheeler Dealer bloke Brewer says, yeah they're fantasitc assuming they're working. I always notice that he either drove one of those or the Mitsubishi Shogun, there's a reason car dealers drive some cars... because they're very good.

I have no doubt it'd be a lovely thing to drive.