The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I'm seriously surprised how may parts y'all get through / destroy.
I get you're hammering them at every opportunity, but they don't seem to be made / up for the task.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:08 pm I'm seriously surprised how may parts y'all get through / destroy.
I get you're hammering them at every opportunity, but they don't seem to be made / up for the task.
It's weight/strength really. If you make everything double the weight it'd last forever, but be impossible to ride. I guess you'd argue carbon is never up to the task of doing this really, but they chose it so we left it on.

As you may gather from the post, it's not just us, it's literally everyone.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

So it looks like we've got a little more crazy on the cards.

Next weekend is Hopton / Pearce uplift day
weekend after is Hopton Pearce race, final round of the series
It then seems that the weekend after is Bellwald in Switzerland for the IXS DH series. A mate of his invited him over for the trip, they'll be in an appartment for a few days close to track and giving it a go. I REALLY wasn't expecting this one but it'll sure be a welcome weekend away for him and his mate. It'll be proper weird not to be there, but to head over too would be costing me £500-700 and there's just not budget for that at the moment this year.
https://www.ixsdownhillcup.com/en/race/ixs-dhc-6-2
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:01 pm
2 x full set headset bearings to order
1 x Trek/MRP chainguide to order
2 x front wheel bearings on Bontrager to swap
1 x HS2 220mm rotor to order
1 x gazebo leg to order and replace
Ordered
Ordered
Replaced
Ordered
Ordered

Bike fully stripped and cleaned, new front wheel refitted. Rear wheel is squeaking on rotation so needs a strip, clean and check what item is causing that but shouldn't be too hard.

Cleaned and sorted chain guide which needed some adjustment due to being a smidgen too close between tensioner and chainring.

Jobs then.
Rear wheel squeak
New bars
New grips
Check front pads
Fit new HS2 220 on front

That should be it for both Hopton weekends, it'll then get a full strip before Bellwald IXS
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:08 pm I'm seriously surprised how may parts y'all get through / destroy.
Think of high end MTB's as like works WRC cars. High performance but longevity isn't really a factor as that'll add weight.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.ixsdownhillcup.com/en/race/ixs-dhc-6-2

So he's entered into the IXS Downhill Cup race in a few weeks time now. There's still some discussions with his mate on logistics, but i don't think i'll be booking my Tunnel just yet... However, you never know.

It'll be awesome for him to go racing in Europe again this year which is kinda funny as at the start of the year we didn't even think we'd race in Europe once, let alone twice. But if this is the way the sport is heading and it sure looks that way, then he better get used to the travel and driving as we'll potentially be doing it a bit more in the coming years.

He's already got some excellent racers from the UK entered, the 2 main ones being the guys in 3rd and 4th at weekend just gone, but i'm hoping he can use a quieter paddock and the fact they know eachother anyway to use their speed to jump on wheels and pick up some more speed from them. Especially as none of them have raced there before.