What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wreckless Rat

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Wreckless Rat »

The irony of the world.... Moan about people heating their homes - but heating an outside path is fine 😂
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Moved out of the real world.

I now live in Night City.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:04 pm The irony of the world.... Moan about people heating their homes - but heating an outside path is fine 😂
Or not heating it in this case!!!

Ski resorts are weird that way. The heating is so hot inside all the buildings I guess they don't bat an eyelid at heating a path

The ramp outside my building is supposed to be heated as the gradient is such that with snow on it most lorries struggle to get up it (even with decent tyres) - the bin lorry and shop delivery lorries need to

However it only worked properly the first season, since then it's worked less and less. And for me - why clear the road and not the pavements - the pavements being that steep can be lethal for pedestrians!

But, the best is the heated driveways in resorts like Courchevel! So that you can park your car on the drive and not worry about getting on and off it! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Fiddled with the alarm on the CBR found a sticker showing it was dealer fitted .
Gave up when my rechargeable light packed in - always does at the most annoying momemts.
Email from work -things are a bit sticky
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I attempted plumbing again today, swapping a gate valve for a ball valve in a very awkward location.
I had everything I needed, the new valve was the same size so simple job. :thumbup:
After I'd shut the water off and drained the tank I removed the old valve to find whoever fitted it had done it up so tight the pipe was buckled. I also discovered this is the only compression fitting I've seen without somewhere to put a spanner to stop it rotating, probably ok normally but not when your trying to seal on a deformed pipe. PTFE tape on the olive didn't help much either.
My next thought was to cut the pipe back to good and use a connector with a new bit of pipe so off I went to Homebase.
Got back, looked again and realised how much more could go wrong if I start chopping bits of pipe off, so I wound a few more layers of PTFE on and tried again. This time it worked and after a few hours it still hasn't leaked, I've earned a few man poins from the missus but I've wasted a few hours and still need to pay a plumber to do it properly so I really wonder why I bother.
Eventually I'll end up with a decent set of plumbing that works properly and layed out so one set of pipes doesn't block access to another but it's going to be a bit painful getting there.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:30 pm I attempted plumbing again today...
My boy came down today moaning that there was no hot water in his bathroom and he wanted a shower.

Me - Have a cold shower then.
Him - Are you serious?
Me - Listen, hot water is a luxury, you don't need it, either use another bathroom or stop moaning and get a cold shower.

I then lectured him on the many years I spent in places where hot water did not come out of a tap, and to stop being a moany bastard.
Half an hour later...

Him - I just had a cold shower and it wasn't that bad, it's quite refreshing.

There might be hope for future generations yet.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

cheb wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:55 am Bought a load of bubble bath. Some people buy Christmas cards now because they're cheap, I stock up on bubble bath.
I bought 6 bags of turkey flavour dog treats for 50p each, rather than £1.50. Perfect for puppy recall training.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Harry wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:45 am My boy came down today moaning that there was no hot water in his bathroom and he wanted a shower.

Me - Have a cold shower then.
Him - Are you serious?
Me - Listen, hot water is a luxury, you don't need it, either use another bathroom or stop moaning and get a cold shower.

I then lectured him on the many years I spent in places where hot water did not come out of a tap, and to stop being a moany bastard.
Half an hour later...

Him - I just had a cold shower and it wasn't that bad, it's quite refreshing.

There might be hope for future generations yet.

They're ok when you know in advance. Unfortunately I got a surprise one the other day when roomie threw on a load of laundry.. It went from almost uncomfortably hot to damn near freezing, then just as I was getting used to the cold it became scalding hot & then cold again. :roll:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Thermostatic shower is what you need....
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

The dog went out at 0030 this morning, promptly came in and puked on the floor which I tidied up and then couldn’t get back to sleep. Half an hour later the poor sod then projectile puked about a pint of grossness all over the kitchen floor and back door mat. More tidying up with the stench of dog puke up my nose and then to bed. Up at 0500 for the early train to work before getting off at the halfway point and riding in. It was minus 2 so a bit brass monkey’s.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:41 am The dog went out at 0030 this morning, promptly came in and puked on the floor which I tidied up and then couldn’t get back to sleep. Half an hour later the poor sod then projectile puked about a pint of grossness all over the kitchen floor and back door mat. More tidying up with the stench of dog puke up my nose and then to bed. Up at 0500 for the early train to work before getting off at the halfway point and riding in. It was minus 2 so a bit brass monkey’s.
That's not sounding like a fun morning. !
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Today I have serviced my toothbrush. New batteries, duracells no less, and a new genuine oral b brush head. No expense spared. Then I fixed the freezer and earnt enough brownie points for the wife to make me a sossie sarnies! What a start to the day!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I made a bacon and egg sandwich for breakfast - gurt lush!!

And I tried to make fudge. Not sure it's worked though :( Might try a different recipe later!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

My Dad has refused the Covid vaccine. He says he's 93 and too late for all that stuff to matter. :roll:

Man,he redefines the word stubborn.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Potter

Post by Potter »

Spent from 9am to 4pm rewiring my boat - well some of it.

Also installed a 12v charger on a spare switch in the electrical panel, tested it, everything bob-on, put everything back together, tested it - and the twat wasn't working - turned out (after I stripped all the teak panels off again) that it was an intermittent fault with the on/off switch.

Old sail boats are like old bikes, you could spend all day, every day, working on them, but there is always something else to do.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Harry wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:45 pm Old sail boats are like old bikes, you could spend all day, every day, working on them, but there is always something else to do.
Not just sail boats, any old boat will do.

Today I've put the final coat of paint on the new cabin ceiling panels, put the final coat of bilge paint on the new battery tray (both at home), been up to the boat and test fitted a new bed end/toilet cover support (it's a small cabin with some features usually only found on bigger boats, like an electric loo!), removed some unnecessary shite where the new battery tray is going to be positioned, measured up for the second stringer for the same new battery tray, came back to the house, sanded and varnished the 3 bits of plywood that make up the toilet cover/bed end. With a second run up to the boat I brought the instrument panel/steering wheel box down to the house where I'll start on making a new one over the weekend when we're on a complete lockdown.

I haven't even considered starting on the rowing boat yet. When all of the new bits are made I too will be doing some re-wiring work as I'll have moved the batteries, put new lights in the cabin, fitted an inverter to run off the solar panel I fitted earlier in the year etc. The end is in sight but only if you can see the future. :lol:

To be honest though I enjoy the work. The pain is having the boat at the far end of the village and only being allowed out for 3 hours a day. Oh, and breaking that 3 hours a day rule. :D
David

Post by David »

I miss my boat, though it would have been a liability with all this covid shit.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

The two happy days of boat ownership...

The day you buy it....
The day you sell it....

Old but true....
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:50 pm The two happy days of boat ownership...

The day you buy it....
The day you sell it....

Old but true....
Not true if you've made the boat yourself.

There is only one thing better than being a couple of miles offshore in a boat you made yourself. :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yambo wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:18 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:50 pm The two happy days of boat ownership...

The day you buy it....
The day you sell it....

Old but true....
Not true if you've made the boat yourself.

There is only one thing better than being a couple of miles offshore in a boat you made yourself. :)
Making it back to dry land without sinking?