Greens
5%
Iccy's Bumming Hat Party
24%

Total votes: 55

mangocrazy

Re: Who Will You Vote For?

Post by mangocrazy »

You can really see Nigel Farrago turning up every week in fashionable downtown Clacton to hold his regular MP's surgery, can't you?

Er, well, perhaps not...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Now here's a Net Zero I would support:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0j22lyt

"Nigel Farage calls for 'zero net migration"
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:12 pm You can really see Nigel Farrago turning up every week in fashionable downtown Clacton to hold his regular MP's surgery, can't you?

Er, well, perhaps not...
Only when there's a reasonably sized press cohort available to take photos/videos, lap up the rhetoric, sorry bollocks.

(how the f*ck do you do strikethrough??)
non quod, sed quomodo
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:12 pm You can really see Nigel Farrago turning up every week in fashionable downtown Clacton to hold his regular MP's surgery, can't you?

Er, well, perhaps not...
https://x.com/nigel_farage/status/17979 ... iKo-cn1jbg
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:01 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:46 pm Most people I know are feeling pretty jaded when it comes to politics. It seems they're mainly fed up with the boom and bust of the Tory/Labour cycle. Time for change and the only option is Reform UK. Go Nige! :thumbup:
Most people I know are feeling pretty jaded when it comes to politics - but that's normal and wild horses wouldn't make them vote Farage-Reform even as an anti-everything vote.

Maybe in a %age system - someone like Farage can do enough to be disruptive - but with FPTP it results in a handful of seats and an opportunity to be (another) gobshite in the House, that's all.
I left school in 79 so was one of "Maggies children" and remained a Tory voter for most of my adult life. But I will no longer vote for them for various obvious and common reasons. I can't bring myself to vote Labour either.

I like Farage and how he applies himself to whatever task he takes on and loved how he took on the whole debanking thing. So I'll vote for the Reform UK and i'll feel happier voting for his party over the others and won't see it as a wasted vote. FWIW I'd still have voted RUK even if Farage hadn't jumped in or was even connected to the party.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:10 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:55 pm
If this site's poll is even slightly representative of the UK's voting intention then the Tories are in for the shoeing of their life. And Iccy's Bumming Hat Party will constitute the Loyal Opposition... :D
I don't think it's representative of the UK people, it's a left-wing site used predominantly by people with a political axe to grind.
Most people don't care about politics half as much as the people on here.
Very true. Iccy's Bumming Hat Party is nowhere in the national polls.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
irie

Post by irie »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:54 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:25 am
Saga Lout wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:11 pm There's a lot of venom directed at Nigel Farage. Remember, he's the one who's mostly responsible for getting us out of the toxic EU. And the Tories, especially Call Me Dave, who fucked it up.
That's the trouble with discussing politics today. The far left have hijacked it into something of bitter resentment and anger rather than the difference of opinion it used to be.
I think you'll find that the extremists at both ends of the spectrum have realised that by shouting as loud as they can about anything even vaguely controversial gets them media air-time, and thus a perceived impression of influence.

The problem with that is that eventually ALL the public sees is extreme views and shouty opinions and starts to think that that's all politics is.

Politics then becomes about nothing but shouty opinions and extreme views. The sensible middle-ground, which is actually what we all want, doesn't get air-time so is ignored and forgotten about.

And you get the clusterf*ck we have now.

Which is not to say that it can't get worse... because it's going to.
As I see it not only politics but also society in general has been corrupted by social media which only contains the views of a tiny minority.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 10:11 pm There's a lot of venom directed at Nigel Farage. Remember, he's the one who's mostly responsible for getting us out of the toxic EU. And the Tories, especially Call Me Dave, who fucked it up.
That's a big reason a lot of people will not vote for him

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:45 pm
gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:28 pm
DefTrap wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 12:24 pm Ten years ago who would have put a tenner on Brexit?
I remember laughing at the Greeks and the silly notion of their Grexit. Who's laughing now? :thumbdown:
If they ever gave Germany, France, Italy and Spain, to name but a few, a referendum, they 'd also be out too. I'd certainly bet on that!
Not so much now. They are seeing the issues of trying to 'go it alone' and I'd guess they aren't confident that their politicians are any better than the UK ones. Yes, when Brexit first happened, a lot of the French I know wanted 'Frexit' - but they've seen what a balls up can be made by 'shower of shit' politicians and don't seem so confident now
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I've had conversations in Italy (in English, thankfully, as my Italian isn't at political discussion level), and been told that many of them wish they could leave the EU (Italexit?). I suspect any EU country has their share of leavers/remainers.

As for the 'balls up made of it'. The EU was hellbent to make sure Brexit was as painful as possible, to make sure no other country got that idea in their head, like a bitter ex-spouse, determined to extract as much pain from the divorce as they can.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:31 pm I've had conversations in Italy (in English, thankfully, as my Italian isn't at political discussion level), and been told that many of them wish they could leave the EU (Italexit?). I suspect any EU country has their share of leavers/remainers.

As for the 'balls up made of it'. The EU was hellbent to make sure Brexit was as painful as possible, to make sure no other country got that idea in their head, like a bitter ex-spouse, determined to extract as much pain from the divorce as they can.
Helped massively by a set of politicians who basically sat back and said, "fuck-it - lets just see what happens cos we can't be arsed to negotiate/don't give a hsit what happens as it doesn't actually affect us or our offspring"

I'm sure there are always people that will want to leave. Same as not everyone wanted Brexit. But here, there used to be a lot of Frexit posters/signs all over the place. But none around now
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Potter

Post by Potter »

gremlin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:31 pm I've had conversations in Italy (in English, thankfully, as my Italian isn't at political discussion level), and been told that many of them wish they could leave the EU (Italexit?). I suspect any EU country has their share of leavers/remainers.

Not to mention half of the UK population has done everything in their power to sabotage it because it suits their politics.

It’s amazing it hasn’t been a lot worse.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

irie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:12 pm
Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:54 am
Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:25 am

That's the trouble with discussing politics today. The far left have hijacked it into something of bitter resentment and anger rather than the difference of opinion it used to be.
I think you'll find that the extremists at both ends of the spectrum have realised that by shouting as loud as they can about anything even vaguely controversial gets them media air-time, and thus a perceived impression of influence.

The problem with that is that eventually ALL the public sees is extreme views and shouty opinions and starts to think that that's all politics is.

Politics then becomes about nothing but shouty opinions and extreme views. The sensible middle-ground, which is actually what we all want, doesn't get air-time so is ignored and forgotten about.

And you get the clusterf*ck we have now.

Which is not to say that it can't get worse... because it's going to.
As I see it not only politics but also society in general has been corrupted by social media which only contains the views of a tiny minority.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you too much on that one. I seem to spend half my life blocking unrequested and unwanted crap from my fb feed.
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:47 pm

Not to mention half of the UK population has done everything in their power to sabotage it because it suits their politics.

The sabotaging is why I have quite a few friends that won't vote for Labour. They remember when Labour stood and cheered when Theresa May's 'deal' was shot down. It would have been better for a lot of people, but the old farts in both parties wanted to see her fail and fuck what happened to the various parts of the population that it affected.

I honestly can't bring myself to vote in a country I no longer have affinity for. I'm just trying to find someone in the Mendip area that has similar views to me and will give them my proxy to do as they wish. Just don't know many people that aren't Tory there any more :( :(
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I'm intrigued. What have half the population been able to do to materially affect it? Can't see, other than complain/be unhappy about it, how they've been able to do anything at all, let alone sabotage things.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:59 pm

I'm intrigued. What have half the population been able to do to materially affect it? Can't see, other than complain/be unhappy about it, how they've been able to do anything at all, let alone sabotage things.
Soshal meeja innit.

If a highly vocal minority group want to sabotage something then they will using the megaphone politics of soshal meeja while the overwhelming majority of the population don't participate and get on with their lives working and bringing up their families.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

RUK getting more airtime in the last 24 hour than they've had all year! All hail the mighty Nige! :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:32 pm

Soshal meeja innit.

If a highly vocal minority group want to sabotage something then they will using the megaphone politics of soshal meeja while the overwhelming majority of the population don't participate and get on with their lives working and bringing up their families.
I still don't see what (I'll take the 'half the population' as a figure of speech) any of the non-governmental population have done to impact the post-Brexit deal or post-Brexit changes ie farming/fishing subsidies etc. Even trending stuff on social media doesn't seem to have had any effect. Any 'sabotaging' seems to be purely down to governmental either a) incompetence and/or b) indecision.

I can't see what the average voter has achieved/impacted at all outside of the referendum and election scenarios. Seems odd to accuse them of sabotage. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Italexit is getting out of a tarted up Morris Marina
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Quitaly, innit?

irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:15 pm
irie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:32 pm
Soshal meeja innit.

I still don't see what (I'll take the 'half the population' as a figure of speech) any of the non-governmental population have done to impact the post-Brexit deal or post-Brexit changes ie farming/fishing subsidies etc. Even trending stuff on social media doesn't seem to have had any effect. Any 'sabotaging' seems to be purely down to governmental either a) incompetence and/or b) indecision.

I can't see what the average voter has achieved/impacted at all outside of the referendum and election scenarios. Seems odd to accuse them of sabotage. :hmmm:
Firstly, I said nothing about "half the population", I instead said "the overwhelming majority" of the population.

Secondly, it is not about the "average voter", it is instead about the small minority who exploit the social media megaphone.

This small minority is driving government policy.