Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wscad

Re: Depression

Post by Wscad »

Here we go. I may have posted some info before so bear with me.

Here is the back room story.

My wife is the guardian of her cousins daughter. Teenager at Harrogate ladies college, boarding fees are 45k per term.

It’s half term so we have here in wscad house. We have looked after her for the last 2 years. During that time she has nearly had the kitchen on fire 3 times.

Every day is the same. She comes down from her bedroom at 11am . The gas cooker goes on with 5 rings on full tilt. Egg shells and flour, butter., and eff knows what all over the effing place.

Is this effing normal?

I’m not finished yet with this rant. More to come
tricol

Post by tricol »

Greenman wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:38 pm happiness doesn't just come from having everything you want
I'd say you're absolutely right. Happiness does not come from material stuff, having a big house, loads of spare cash to buy whatever nonsense you want. People might say it helps, or that they couldn't do a certain lifestyle without it, but when you strip it back the happiness isn't about that at all. Depression effects everyone, from millionaires to the working man.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Help needed. Even it’s a “hope it all goes well wscad” 😀😀
tricol

Post by tricol »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:23 am Help needed. Even it’s a “hope it all goes well wscad” 😀😀
Hope it does all go well!
Yamaha MT09 SP
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:23 am Help needed. Even it’s a “hope it all goes well wscad” 😀😀
Does she resent being there, is this a deliberate protest designed to piss you off?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I have no idea if it's 'normal' but hope someone can help make it go better! x
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

tricol wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:20 am
Greenman wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:38 pm happiness doesn't just come from having everything you want
I'd say you're absolutely right. Happiness does not come from material stuff, having a big house, loads of spare cash to buy whatever nonsense you want. People might say it helps, or that they couldn't do a certain lifestyle without it, but when you strip it back the happiness isn't about that at all. Depression effects everyone, from millionaires to the working man.
But if you have a generally happy life, it sets you up to cope better. When my anxiety kicks in, I look around to see what we've got and makes it a little easier to bear.
I'd rather be a bit poorly here than a but poorly in a flat in Bradford.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:18 am Here we go. I may have posted some info before so bear with me.

Every day is the same. She comes down from her bedroom at 11am . The gas cooker goes on with 5 rings on full tilt. Egg shells and flour, butter., and eff knows what all over the effing place.

Is this effing normal?

If you remove the gas ring bits (top plate and spreader that is underneath), the gas ring won't light. Leave one available.

Remove the cooking ingredients to a place of your choosing and issue them to the lass on the terms that she won't get them again if she doesn't clear up after herself.

You and the wife need to be together on this disciplinary approach but in my experience people stop taking the piss when they become severley disadvantaged, regardless of the cost of their schooling.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

On we go.

She’s voice activated, will never start a conversation. A effing eating machine, wife did 14 spare ribs plus a load of veg.

Teen did 10 of the ribs plus most of the veg, then did a football sized water melon in less than 5 mins.

More to come
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Teen has just had mock a level results.

Manderin A. Well no surprise there as she is from China
maths c
Art c

Saturday wife and teen go shopping to Sainsbury’s.

Along with the shopping there is a 4ft high plastic sunflower.

When teen effs off to her bedroom I say to wife.....what’s with the sunflower?

Oh it’s for teens art project.

So teen gets into a bikini, fills the bath full of water, jumps and is fully submerged , eyes wide open holding a effing sunflower, wife takes around a 100 pics.

Is this effing normal?

By the way, I did not participate nor did I take part in the photo shoot

More to come
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Jumps in the bath
Scud

Post by Scud »

@Wscad

It sounds like just a teenager being a bit of a self cantered dick.
I found the best way to deal with it is not to respond, shrug your shoulders and wait for them to mature and act like an adult. Fair enough some never do, but the majority do.
It really is a no win one with teenagers, but definately not worth getting wound up by.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

@Wscad
I find cash is a great bargaining chip with teens, but I'd guess this one gets plenty of cash from a different source. If your wife has no leverage over the wayward child then she needs to apply pressure on whoever does.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:09 pm Saturday wife and teen go shopping to Sainsbury’s.

Along with the shopping there is a 4ft high plastic sunflower.

When teen effs off to her bedroom I say to wife.....what’s with the sunflower?

Oh it’s for teens art project.

So teen gets into a bikini, fills the bath full of water, jumps and is fully submerged , eyes wide open holding a effing sunflower, wife takes around a 100 pics.
Is your wife taking all this in her stride or is it freaking her out too?

As teenagers go, I'm not sure she's that odd any more. :(

How much longer is this for? I'd be tempted to take myself off on holiday.

The cooking thing reminds me of a place my wife used to work, it was a bit like the United Nations (their Christmas cook-in was :thumbup: they'd take over the site kitchen and each bring/cook something...you could eat your way round the globe). One young woman was the far east and you didn't sit next to her at a meal - now I know why some Chinese restaurants have several table cloths and peel one away each course. Food debris everywhere! I assume she cooked like that too.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Thank you scud and mussels for taking the time to reply to my rant.

The teen gets £2k per month spending money plus unlimited text/data every effing thing on her phone.

Since covid kicked in she only goes back home once a year. Taxi from Harrogate to Heathrow. 1st class flight Heathrow to shanghai.

The college has arranged a ski holiday for pupils next year to Italy. £4K. Plus flights. Pupils can choose to fly economy / business or 1st class. Guess which class the teen is flying.

Anyway, the rant is over and thanks for listening. I feel better now. I think 😀
Scud

Post by Scud »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:45 pm Thank you scud and mussels for taking the time to reply to my rant.

The teen gets £2k per month spending money plus unlimited text/data every effing thing on her phone.

Since covid kicked in she only goes back home once a year. Taxi from Harrogate to Heathrow. 1st class flight Heathrow to shanghai.

The college has arranged a ski holiday for pupils next year to Italy. £4K. Plus flights. Pupils can choose to fly economy / business or 1st class. Guess which class the teen is flying.

Anyway, the rant is over and thanks for listening. I feel better now. I think 😀
I’m guessing an early life of no consequences and being waited on/cleaned up after is starting to show it’s inevitable results.
Just smile sweetly and carry on with your own thing, she’ll be back to school soon enough.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Sounds like a spoilt rich brat.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Scud n Yorick .

Nail on head both of you
Docca

Post by Docca »

Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:44 am On we go.

She’s voice activated, will never start a conversation. A effing eating machine, wife did 14 spare ribs plus a load of veg.

Teen did 10 of the ribs plus most of the veg, then did a football sized water melon in less than 5 mins.

More to come
Do you say ‘effing’ in real life? I’d be tempted to leave all the gas rings on if you did. 😀
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Docca wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:25 pm
Wscad wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:44 am On we go.

More to come
Do you say ‘effing’ in real life? I’d be tempted to leave all the gas rings on if you did. 😀
Yes, he should have said "an effing"
Honda Owner