Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by Mr Moofo »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 am
Supermofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:37 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 am I struggle with this side of living abroad. Why do the Brits all stick together so much?
Without being horrible it's not much different for Ex-pats who come to the UK in large numbers. Be that Asian, Polish etc. In general people stick to what they know when they can.
True true, fair call. It's not that i won't speak to Brits, that would be silly. It's not that i wouldn't go to Brit bars to watch MotoGP or football... but if you go somewhere you've got to immerse yourself in the culture, the language etc.
Weeksy,
I think you are coming at things from a sensible approach - certainly buggering off to warmer climates in winter has a real appeal - esp now it has been pissing down in Sussex for about the last 3 months , we are lockdown, and it is miserable! Going for a few months vs going permanently is a big step ( I had no choice).
The negative of two bases is that you will never really be at "home" in either... and so you won't really commit twosome of the important stuff.

The internet / social media etc has made staying in contact with people far easier . Sky and digital TV means you can watch TV from around the world. (German TV was truly awful)

Fitting in with the locals is harder than you would expect - even if you get a basic command of the language, you may never become one of them. If you have shared interested ( I motorcycled and MTBed with some Swiss) it helps but you will never be intimated until you have been there 20 plus years. It does depend on where you are - the French can be very sniffy, the Swiss definitely are - the German's not so ...
And depending on their ability, they may well always talk to you in English!

Ex-pats - kind of hard to avoid them because you have touch points and shared frustrations - and you can get pissed and speak the same language still. CH was a strange place - people were ex pat for a) Money b) career c) running from something. And you need to avoid a) as they are bores c) because they are a little odd.
Mixing with them will happen - and it can be very useful. Some will have been there long term - so they will have local contracts for most things. Just avoid the weirdos and the mad women ...

You have to learn the language - just just hello, goodbye, two beers and "will you sleep with me". Getting to know the locals is a ball-ache - we did in our village in CH. But you realise that the culture is very different - they were brash about money, rude about foreigners , hated the blacks, and had a really small world outlook - but they could also be very generous in trying to help out: if it suited them.

And ultimately, if you are going to stay , you have to let go of your past norms. My sister has been in Oz for 26 years , has finally developed an Aussie twang, but always compares everything in Oz to a rose tinted / chocolate box view of the UK.

Most controversial point: Being an ex-pat / foreign dweller makes you realise that the UK is actually a pretty good place. It is multi cultural, lost of different influences and cuisines, spontaneous, creative, irreverent, innovative. Sure - there are some issue, but then everywhere has issues ... I have done my time in CH and Germany. I loved it and I am glad of the experience - but I am now happy living where I do (but can afford to do so, which may be an issue)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Potter wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:44 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:38 am
It's kind of cool that like minded people do tend to find each other. Even when we don't know we are like minded!! LOL
We're all the same animals, I've lived and worked all over the world and most people are pretty similar give or take a few cultural things.

People that work in or visit certain resorts are bound to like similar things, all the people I know that ski are also at least moderately interested in things with engines. I'm not into skiing but it's a hobby with a buzz, and people that are into buzzy things often like other buzzy things, so I bet I'd probably have enough in common with them to be friends.
Yup - not sure why it surprises me when I find out but whilst I get on with most people who are into snowsports, the ones I get on best with are bikers too
I just found it really interesting :D :D

This particular area is a haven for dangerous sports, so most people like the adrenaline rush/buzzy things. Which means we are generally of a similar mindset! LOL :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am
Most controversial point: Being and ex-pat / foreign dweller makes you realise that the UK is actually a pretty good place. It is multi cultural, lost of different influences and cuisines, spontaneous, creative, irreverent, innovative. Sure - there are some issue, but then everywhere has issues ... I have done my time in CH and Germany. I loved it and I am glad of the experience - but I am now happy living where I do (but can afford to do so, which may be an issue)
I don't think that goes for everyone - depending on where in the UK you started from!!

I wouldn't ever want to go back to live and certainly don't have rose tinted glasses about it. But then whilst it's taken a couple of years (after a few more winters) in general the French up here are kind, helpful and welcoming.

The thought of going back to Bristol, or even the west country, fills me with dread! Maybe because I mostly worked in pubs I didn't see the best side!!

I love going back to see friends but each visit, mixing with the general public, makes me more certain I will stay here!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

cheb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 am That^. And to my shame I've never learned to speak Gaelic, I've tried many times but languages aren't my strong point.
And that’s not going to be an easy one to learn.

And- it must be pretty easy to get off with not speaking it, even in the Utter Hebrides.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:58 am
The thought of going to Bristol fills me with dread!
That's not exclusively an ex-pat thing.
cheb

Post by cheb »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:02 am
cheb wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:41 am That^. And to my shame I've never learned to speak Gaelic, I've tried many times but languages aren't my strong point.
And that’s not going to be an easy one to learn.

And- it must be pretty easy to get off with not speaking it, even in the Utter Hebrides.

It is, and I'm lazy. An early realisation was that the older islanders spoke English peculiarly, that's because it was their second language.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I never understood why people dont want to speak the language of the country they are living in... Brits get frustrated by people who come here who cant from what i have seen.

I speak a little French and German from when i was at school and a little Spanish picked up from when one of my mates was married to a girl from Lanzarote. Only ever used it a little on holiday and when i got lost briefly in Germany a few years ago, filled up with petrol in a small village and the woman at the till gabbered at me in full speed German and i had to apologise and tell her, in my schoolboy German, that i was sorry but i only spoke a little German. Her reply was to speak a lot slower, gave me a big smile and said "Ah but you speak German"

I was already looking at a Potuguese phrases ready for Portimao :mrgreen:

As for Weeksy's plan to live winter in the sunshine and summer in UK the change in Brexit would allow a 90 day stay before leaving to a non EU country and back again. I know a lot of the Brit ex pats in Turkey would take the boat across to Kos from Bodrum to get a passport exit stamp and then return again the same day. Would that be dealt with by applying for Spanish citizenship to get dual nationality ?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am I never understood why people dont want to speak the language of the country they are living in... Brits get frustrated by people who come here who cant from what i have seen.

I speak a little French and German from when i was at school and a little Spanish picked up from when one of my mates was married to a girl from Lanzarote. Only ever used it a little on holiday and when i got lost briefly in Germany a few years ago, filled up with petrol in a small village and the woman at the till gabbered at me in full speed German and i had to apologise and tell her, in my schoolboy German, that i was sorry but i only spoke a little German. Her reply was to speak a lot slower, gave me a big smile and said "Ah but you speak German"

As for Weeksy's plan to live winter in the sunshine and summer in UK the change in Brexit would allow a 90 day stay before leaving to a non EU country and back again. I know a lot of the Brit ex pats in Turkey would take the boat across to Kos from Bodrum to get a passport exit stamp and then return again the same day. Would that be dealt with by applying for Spanish citizenship to get dual nationality ?
I think it's 90 days in 180. But crossing the border and back might work for a winter stay!!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:16 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:58 am
The thought of going to Bristol fills me with dread!
That's not exclusively an ex-pat thing.
Fair enough :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I was in a particularly 'anti' area - anti foreigners (especially blacks), anti different, anti anything that didn't look or sound or have the same views as they did!!! It did seem to be similar in other areas that I'd lived in the west country too :( :( Sad, cos I grew up in Somerset and loved it there :(
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am I never understood why people dont want to speak the language of the country they are living in... Brits get frustrated by people who come here who cant from what i have seen.

It's almost impossible to get citizenship. Maybe you meant residencia? To get that you need a full time residency and you lose NHS treatment. Until pension age.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am

I think it's 90 days in 180. But crossing the border and back might work for a winter stay!!
Not any more :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:58 am
Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 am

Not any more :(
I did wonder - thought it wasn't possible due to things I've heard here for season workers but didn't want to say no as wasn't sure!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:57 am

It's almost impossible to get citizenship. Maybe you meant residencia? To get that you need a full time residency and you lose NHS treatment. Until pension age.
I only said citizenship as a generalisation as he mentioned Spain but he could end up with Southern France/Italy/Croatia and each will have their own processes and rules and some will be easier than others. I know the Turkish one is difficult but not impossible hence why lots of Brits did the crossing every 3 months to allow them to stay all year round as it was the easier option
Potter

Post by Potter »

In terms of multiculturalism, there is a thing called acculturation, in it's strictest terms I think it simply means fitting into the culture you're surrounded by...but if that's a mix of many cultures then it can take on it's own culture, which is what we have here and what you have in places like Aruba where it's a mix of Spanish, Dutch and English (even the language)...oh and an increasing amount of Americanisms.

If you live amongst a lot of expats and locals mixed together then you'll possibly find that the only place you actually fit in (after a good few years) is that place. We speak a language that is mostly English, but it's got French, Arabic, Spanish, etc. I tell my kid to hurry up in French, I use Spanish manners for pleasantries and I shout to him in Arabic to tell him to "come over here", I use phrases like "same same" which comes from Singaporean English, I ask about your health in Arabic and I close meetings and phone calls with Arabic. I use Hindi sometimes if it fits.

We were asked a while ago what language we were speaking by an English person who was new, I never realised so much of it wasn't English.
Culturally we're sort of English in appearance and some of our mannerisms but honestly we don't really like a lot of English things and I don't think we'd fit in any more if we went back to England.

When we left the Caribbean and came back to the UK we didn't really fit in anymore and it's even more so now.
Our families say we've got itchy feet, but I just think we don't really fit well with the culture.

So I agree with Moofo, I think the UK is actually a pretty good place, I just don't think we'll be able to re-assimilate into the culture now, so if we come back we'll probably be the aloof couple in the village that doesn't have much to do with the locals.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wouldn't be an issue as we'd come back for Xmas with the family anyhow.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am I know a lot of the Brit ex pats in Turkey would take the boat across to Kos from Bodrum to get a passport exit stamp and then return again the same day.
I have a friend who lived in the US, and flew off to Canada every whatever to reset the clock. She was one a a fair number of people who did that.

Then one day it didn't work, she was picked up by Immigration on the way back, held for 48 hours, and shipped off to the UK with no option. Boyfriend, house, dog, clothes etc all out of reach. She was allowed just 1 2-minute phone call before being put on a plane, and she is now on the no-entry list for the US.

Dangerous practice.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

We do have distinct eating habits ;)

Brekky always a Brit bar as local brekky is high carb bread and sweet things.

Lunch is usually a fish butty (local delicacy) in Arrecife old harbour or a quiet cafe up and down the coast or in the hills.

If we eat out in the evenings it's never a Brit bar. We have regular places and staff know us and we practice our lingo.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:33 pm Wouldn't be an issue as we'd come back for Xmas with the family anyhow.
You'll have family and friends wanting to come see you in the warmth ;)
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:08 pm I know the Turkish one is difficult but not impossible hence why lots of Brits did the crossing every 3 months to allow them to stay all year round as it was the easier option
Turkish citizenship is a lot easier nowadays than it used to be. The 3 month thing has been stopped and now you are allowed 90 days in 180 days on a normal visa. Residency is also easy to get and renew - I'll be renewing mine in March as last year they only gave me 9 months residency as my passport was going to run out within the year. I fill in a form on-line, book an appointment at the Migration Office on-line and turn up for an 'interview'. There's now a Migration Office in Marmaris so it's a doddle.

Brit's are still going on day trips to Greece, Romania, Serbia, you name it because they can't be bothered or don't want to change their UK driving licence for a Turkish one. You can drive on a UK licence for up to 6 months from your last entry stamp in your passport hence a day trip to Rhodes or wherever. I suspect the Turks will change that rule soon tbh unless they're making money from it. :P
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:45 pm I have a friend who lived in the US, and flew off to Canada every whatever to reset the clock. She was one a a fair number of people who did that.

Then one day it didn't work, she was picked up by Immigration on the way back, held for 48 hours, and shipped off to the UK with no option. Boyfriend, house, dog, clothes etc all out of reach. She was allowed just 1 2-minute phone call before being put on a plane, and she is now on the no-entry list for the US.

Dangerous practice.
Same. Dappy bird who did nannying off the books for some middle-class American family. Got oiked out once, they smuggled her in via Canada in the boot of their car. Got caught again. Turfed out again, lucky not to do some bird, I reckon.

Fair paly too. She was paid cash, plus board and use of a car, etc. but paid sod all in the way of tax. I'd given her 15 years in San Quentin with Bubette the Butch Lezzer.