The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:55 am I have an Eastpak satchel that I got in Next 5 or 6 years ago. It takes a laptop, expands to 15 litres apparently (I haven't tested that although I often stick loads of shopping in it) and has a 25 year warranty I believe. £27. :thumbup:
Pfft...the previous bag which lasted me 12 years was free. Never gonna beat that :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:28 am I'd have thought you sophisticated chaps would all be using Bennett-Winch bags. :D

https://www.bennettwinch.com/products/b ... -briefcase
Ain't not nobody ever accused me of being sophistamacated, I use 5.11, bloody sturdy and enough room to get everything in, although as with earlier chap with it being only used once a week it may be a smidge OTT.

https://tactree.co.uk/511-rush-24-backpack
Ant

Post by Ant »

Scotsrich wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:00 am
Ant wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:49 pm Bought one of these today from Costco, they're all the rave innit!

6.7l air fryer thingy

We bought one of them Ninja dual pan things a few months ago and it gets used a lot.

So much so that the only time the cooker oven gets used is if there’s a casserole being done.

They get hyped a lot but one of those things that actually do what it says on the tin.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:09 am I was gifted one by my Mum, she bought the aforementioned dual Ninja jobby and cast her old one off to me. I was reluctant to use it at first, but I do have to admit - it makes good chips! I use it all the time now 'just 'cause it's cheaper to run. It's a simple equation: Does it fit in the air frier? If the answer is "yes", it's getting air fried.
We used it last night with chips first as a test run, pizza and chips for a quick evening meal.

They did come out much like oven chips which was no big surprise, that was using the fries function rather than air fry, so I'll try air fry next time. We have a deep fat fryer which mostly only ever sees chips/fries, so it doesn't get stinky and you just can't beat that for chips!

But on the efficiency side, I'd love to get scientific and actually measure how much power it's using for a cook compared to the oven, but of course it ought to be more efficient, it has less space to heat and reaches temperature very quickly.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Air fryers are basically a small fan oven. I have a microwave/fan oven/grill combination oven but have hardly used it in the last couple of years since I got an air fryer. It's definitely more economical for me.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I must say that of course, the pizza had to go in the oven of course, so we ran the oven and the air fryer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:44 pm Air fryers are basically a small fan oven. I have a microwave/fan oven/grill combination oven but have hardly used it in the last couple of years since I got an air fryer. It's definitely more economical for me.
I still refer to ours as the "tiny oven". It doesn't fry stuff, it bakes it :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yambo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:44 pm Air fryers are basically a small fan oven. I have a microwave/fan oven/grill combination oven but have hardly used it in the last couple of years since I got an air fryer. It's definitely more economical for me.
We have a Ninja jobbie that has also sautes, pressure cooks, slow cooks and makes bloody yoghurt.

If it could change a light bulb and empty the bins I'd be redundant by now.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Ahhh, I remember when this place was all Instant Pots, different times man, different times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:47 pm
I still refer to ours as the "tiny oven". It doesn't fry stuff, it bakes it :D
Much like domestic ovens don't roast stuff, they bake it.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:28 am I'd have thought you sophisticated chaps would all be using Bennett-Winch bags. :D

https://www.bennettwinch.com/products/b ... -briefcase
A bit spendy for a Railway dirtbag like myself.....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:07 pm Ahhh, I remember when this place was all Instant Pots, different times man, different times
I still use my mini Instant pot!! Even for yoghurt!! I didn't go the whole hog and get a Ninja cooker, I got a mini Instant Pot Airfryer - after the normal sized one proved to be far to big (and loud) for my miniscule apartment!! LOL

There are four electric things on my counter - mini air fryer, mini instant pot, induction hob/plate and a cake mixer/robot! I still have a full sized oven but generally only use it if I've bought a pizza to cook or am having a baking day. The mini airfryer cooks enough for me :D :D

I do have a plan to get a half sized oven, but in height so that it is still wide enough for a proper baking tray. But I need to sort out the refurb before I get too keen, so probably next year!! But I have looked at the ovens that do a 'bit of everything' - just need to find one that does a few things well :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Not exactly my purchase but...t'other half subscribed for a weekly current affairs type magazine that I often buy. It's an annual subscription and the cover price of the current one says £5.75. She said 'you get a free bottle of fizz!' So £109 for the year looks like a no brainer.

DPD just delivered the fizz. It's not Prosecco, it's a bottle of Pol Roger! Most outlets have it at £45. So, call it £40, and that's £69 for a year's subscription, delivered weekly by Royal Mail to the door, for something I was merrily paying the cover price for.

She's a financial genius. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:58 pm
If it could change a light bulb and empty the bins I'd be redundant by now.
When we bought a fridge that kept white wine chilled and dispensed ice for G&T, Filly said she was divorcing me. Not that that I ever did either :wtf:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A few more if these.

Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

One of the most unexciting probably but a game changer.

No more waiting for the few minutes where coffee is at the right temperature between scalding hot and too cool, this keep my cuppa drinkable for a couple of hours.
EE0F8A67-4943-4742-9E69-B1D2E987FC39.jpeg
EE0F8A67-4943-4742-9E69-B1D2E987FC39.jpeg (92.96 KiB) Viewed 458 times
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Contigo make the best insulated mugs, hand on bible verifiable gods honest truth, fact.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Scotsrich wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:14 am One of the most unexciting probably but a game changer.

No more waiting for the few minutes where coffee is at the right temperature between scalding hot and too cool, this keep my cuppa drinkable for a couple of hours.
EE0F8A67-4943-4742-9E69-B1D2E987FC39.jpeg
I'm with you ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:35 am Contigo make the best insulated mugs, hand on bible verifiable gods honest truth, fact.
I'm with you as well ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:35 am Contigo make the best insulated mugs, hand on bible verifiable gods honest truth, fact.
Still makes your tea taste like plastic though!
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:05 pm
Still makes your tea taste like plastic though!
It's all in your head.