Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by weeksy »

I've now got to spend 4 hours tomorrow after work fitting the orange yokes again.

Why the fuck don't we have a faceplant emoji!!!!
Bomble

Re: Oh, is that another KTM ? Really ? Are you sure ? Is this the one and only keeper ?

Post by Bomble »

Obviously waiting for the 890 😉😀
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bomble wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 pm Obviously waiting for the 890 😉😀
Who's to say what will happen in the future, but I'm not convinced it will be an 890 though.

For now, the 690 stays, the good news is, I gave a Leo Vince exhaust shipping tomorrow for it lol. No point getting them to refund me on the 790 exhaust, so may as well get a 690 one
Bomble

Post by Bomble »

weeksy wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:09 pm [quote=Bomble post_id=5624 time=<a href="tel:1588626264">1588626264</a> user_id=179]
Obviously waiting for the 890 😉😀
Who's to say what will happen in the future, but I'm not convinced it will be an 890 though.

For now, the 690 stays, the good news is, I gave a Leo Vince exhaust shipping tomorrow for it lol. No point getting them to refund me on the 790 exhaust, so may as well get a 690 one
[/quote]

I was only joking :D I’ve never ridden a 690 Duke but it must be a good bike for you to keep coming back to it.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Ah.
I would say words fail me but they don't in this case :D :D :D

But I'm happy as it's saved me a trip to the post office , and is the right decision for you too I think ( well, today, at 09:32 anyway ;) )

:thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

if that warning light comes on 2 more times, we'll be back to the 790 again! :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:12 am if that warning light comes on 2 more times, we'll be back to the 790 again! :lol:
I don't have the strength to go through this again, i'll just throw it in the lake and go home :)
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

You monumental pillock :lol:

My 690 is defo staying. On top of Mrs shakey job there is talk of pay cuts at our place.

I will however soon have an MOT for it so soon as lockdown eases I can finally have a (slow/sedate) ride.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 am 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 it's a better fit..👎👍

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124168621345
1. They'd give me about £4000 in P/X meaning i'd have to put in a massive chunk.
2. I've owned fast bikes, i've had many many big bikes, i'm not a big bike kind of guy, i'm a little bike guy, i want/need/desire different things from most people, i don't 'get' the obsession with fast powerful beasts of bike, i like the feeling of pushing a slow bike hard, than pushing a fast bike not at all. This is why things like the 690, 790, XT660X have been my favourite bikes, despite the fact people don't understand it.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I understand it but I like big bikes too.
In this over crowded country you can rarely push a bike of any size for any sustained period. You barely get a chance to get in the zone before you run up against something and have to stop. At least with a big bike you can revel in the meat of the engine. That's why I like big twins. You've got instant violence and don't need to spin them up.
If I was a track rider where you can get in the zone and stay there, then depending on the track, I'd have something smaller, as long as it wasn't too physically small. I don't like I/L fours so it would probably be a KTM. The 890 stands out for me. I like the 690 but the bars are a bit close for me and I feel a touch cramped. I guess you adapt. I'd have a 690 SMR though.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I just think you need a motor capable of giving smiles in whatever environment your likely to put it in. 90% of the time a smaller bike fits, but on those special occasions eg, track, the big bike makes you smile the most. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:42 am I just think you need a motor capable of giving smiles in whatever environment your likely to put it in. 90% of the time a smaller bike fits, but on those special occasions eg, track, the big bike makes you smile the most. 🙂
Nope, it really doesn't.... I rode Trickys MT10SP as the most recent big bike on track, it was no more fun than my 690. When out on the 690 in Inters i don't overtake many, but that's down to me not the bike, i enjoy the challenge of it actually. When i went out with you at Pembrey and was in novice i was only overtaken by 1 instructor in the session and was quicker than plenty of bigger/ faster bikes..
The big ones, i find a bit, well, intimidating i guess, you can't get hard on them, you can't brake as late, push as hard...

Well, i can't anyway.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I don't disagree with that, but I think your track experience would win the day in novice. Particularly on overtakes and corner speed But where else can you try and stretch a big bike, through a few gears.
Yamaha rocket 3
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

When I swapped my Blade for my Duke II a mate of a mate said 'when you said a duke I thought you meant a 916, why the fuck have you swapped a Blade for that?' But imo the Duke II was fun 90% of all the time. The Blade was only really fun say 35-40% of the time and only really then when doing 100mph+.

The same applies for my 690. I worry to much about speeding now to ride a big bike so I reckon the fun factor would be even less for me. And if you aren't going to do big speeds I don't see the point in having a bike capable of it. I find small bikes ridden at 80 to 90% of their max more fun than a big bike at 30%. The throttle works both ways thing doesn't work for me, if I'm not gonna use it why have it.

Don't get me wrong I totally understand other people feeling the opposite. And I totally understand the feeling you get from really nailing a fast bike as small bike just don't have that rahhhh factor. But it happens so rarely I can live without it now.

Plus a Superduke for me would be wasted on the narrow, gravelly roads i tend to ride now.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well the dealer doesn't have the Leo Vince in for my model at the moment, so i'm debating this...

Personally i think the lines suit the angles of the 690 a bit more than the rounder Leo Vince can etc.

Added to that, the exhaust note from some Ebay vids seems a bit deeper too compared to the LV.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

They look like they could have been both designed by the same person and come off the same production line, very similar looking to me but yeah I agree, looks-wise I'd take the Sebring/PP one over the Leo any day
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Looks pretty good that, I like the lack of strap. Being KTM branded is it more though?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 8:43 am Looks pretty good that, I like the lack of strap. Being KTM branded is it more though?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sebring-KTM- ... 1438.l2649

RRP is £445. I guess it's new old stock clearout.... the LV comes in about £30 less. So in honesty, not that much that it's worth worrying about either way.