Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Pension stuff, how's it all looking ? HAve you prepared ?

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:29 pm
Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:12 pm Just got an email from Hargreaves Lansdown, with the following...

"Cash is king for the short term - If you need the money within the next five years – cash savings carry less risk. With competitive savings rates still around 5%, there’s opportunity for good returns..."
That's just a tad :shock: from an investment company! :D
They have a platform and you can access various accounts through them.

Cash at 5% is a nice safe place to be though for the next few years.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:43 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:29 pm
Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 5:12 pm Just got an email from Hargreaves Lansdown, with the following...

"Cash is king for the short term - If you need the money within the next five years – cash savings carry less risk. With competitive savings rates still around 5%, there’s opportunity for good returns..."
That's just a tad :shock: from an investment company! :D
They have a platform and you can access various accounts through them.

Cash at 5% is a nice safe place to be though for the next few years.
I was thinking that they make their money on dealing/transaction charges but if it's platform fee only I guess you can get 5% without them siphoning too much off. I don't think I pay platform fees because of a pension lump in there with mine. Wife's account charges seem higher than mine and she hasn't got a pension in there, just ISAs.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I've got cash in at 5.19% at the mo' Happy with that.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Most of my ISAs are over 5%. Tax free, innit? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 6:05 pm Most of my ISAs are over 5%. Tax free, innit? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
They're a great product if interest rates are good and you can afford a decent amount and leave it alone.
If there are two of you putting away your full allowance every year, then over a decade or so you'll have half a million and at 5% it's a couple of grand a month tax free income for sitting back and doing nothing.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Thought this might be of interest as some of it relates to pensions/retirement. 5 rules.

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/markets-insi ... -D8c0jUof0

The 100 minus your age rule on the % to have in equities and the one about how many years it takes to double an amount based on an interest rate were quite interesting.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Count Steer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:44 am Thought this might be of interest as some of it relates to pensions/retirement. 5 rules.

The 100 minus your age rule on the % to have in equities and the one about how many years it takes to double an amount based on an interest rate were quite interesting.
Interesting and readable!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:44 am Thought this might be of interest as some of it relates to pensions/retirement. 5 rules.

I have a couple of "Target retirement year XXX" funds, ones which automatically ramp between various equities, bonds etc.

Judging from the splits they currently have, the (supposed) experts who run them certainly don't believe in the 100 minus rule :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

IIRC mine shifted to 'safe'[er] about 10% per year from age 55 on.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Thought this was interesting. How much would you need to generate an income equal to the full State Pension?

https://www.fidelity.co.uk/markets-insi ... sY9CpDAYmK

Answer: About £225k in an annuity and about £290k in a drawdown pot. Not too shabby but I haven't calculated the value of what you put in to get it.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

According to the " ftadvisor " , less than half the folk eligible for the " new " state pension actually receive the full amount . I've never been out of work in my life and have 48 years of full NI contributions, but I don't receive anything like the full amount . That is partly to do with always contributing to decent company pensions , but also do with the NI rules changing in 2016 . It's complicated !
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Treadeager wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:12 am According to the " ftadvisor " , less than half the folk eligible for the " new " state pension actually receive the full amount . I've never been out of work in my life and have 48 years of full NI contributions, but I don't receive anything like the full amount . That is partly to do with always contributing to decent company pensions , but also do with the NI rules changing in 2016 . It's complicated !
Complicated? It certainly is! Mine seems reasonably straightforward but my missus's is a bit like yours and she deferred it for a year to bump it up. Now she gets a pension statement that's completely impenetrable AND it's impossible (to me or her) to see if she's getting the benefit of deferring. All I can see is that she gets a bit more than me so just assume she is. (Add in that the shift in women's pension age was compensated for by her company pension scheme to cover the gap and now they're wondering whether they paid too much...nightmare! :lol: ).

The 'opting out'/SERPS stuff just made everything too complicated. No wonder they don't want to have to start applying tax to their systems (or do means testing etc etc).