In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
mangocrazy

Re: In todays news...

Post by mangocrazy »

In today's 'Broken News', they've dropped the vitriol of the Farage piece and gone for a sly knife in the ribs.

You're up to date.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I don't want to make light of the offences here.
But a little play on words ...

Woman wins civil rape case against therapist.

Add a space ;)

Woman wins civil rape case against the rapist.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw99e1vpe58o
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 4:09 pm I don't want to make light of the offences here.
But a little play on words ...

Woman wins civil rape case against therapist.

Add a space ;)

Woman wins civil rape case against the rapist.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cw99e1vpe58o
Can the CPS now bring criminal charges or is it all brushed under the carpet once the money changes hands?

I know in criminal cases you can't be tried for the same thing, but this was civil, so ?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:21 pm
Can the CPS now bring criminal charges or is it all brushed under the carpet once the money changes hands?
CPS already decided not to go through with a case based on the evidence, s'in the article :)

It's a different 'hurdle' to clear, civil vs. criminal. In the former you just have to prove it's likely the thing happened, in the latter it's "beyond reasonable doubt". The CPS decided they wouldn't be able to do that second thing, so they didn't charge.

"Following the High Court's ruling, a spokesperson for the CPS said: "In criminal cases we must prove beyond reasonable doubt that an individual is guilty. "Following a careful review of the evidence in this case, we concluded there was not a realistic prospect of conviction – a decision later supported by two independent reviews."

The Met Police said it was aware of the outcome of the civil case and would assess any new information that was presented in the process. It also confirmed there is currently no active police investigation in the case.
"
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:58 pm
CPS already decided not to go through with a case based on the evidence, s'in the article :)

It's a different 'hurdle' to clear, civil vs. criminal. In the former you just have to prove it's likely the thing happened, in the latter it's "beyond reasonable doubt". The CPS decided they wouldn't be able to do that second thing, so they didn't charge.

"Following the High Court's ruling, a spokesperson for the CPS said: "In criminal cases we must prove beyond reasonable doubt that an individual is guilty. "Following a careful review of the evidence in this case, we concluded there was not a realistic prospect of conviction – a decision later supported by two independent reviews."

The Met Police said it was aware of the outcome of the civil case and would assess any new information that was presented in the process. It also confirmed there is currently no active police investigation in the case.
"
Oh I did see they had originally decided not to. I would like to think that now they'd try again!!

This gives me a bit of hope -
The Met Police said it was aware of the outcome of the civil case and would assess any new information that was presented in the process. It also confirmed there is currently no active police investigation in the case
Otherwise the guy can just carry on as before, no?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Careful Yoz, them sharks might head over your way! :shock:

Two more popular tourist beaches have been closed in Spain over new shark sightings.
Swimmers were out of the water at San Augustin beach in Gran Canaria after a tourist photographed the tell-tale fin of a shark sticking out of the water.
Tourists at Melenara Beach on the island’s east coast were also urged to stay away from the sea after a police drone spotted a hammerhead shark.The sighting was the second one in just two days and came after the beach was deemed safe enough to reopen to the public.

https://inews.co.uk/news/world/spain-sh ... rk-3115270

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:49 am Careful Yoz, them sharks might head over your way! :shock:

Two more popular tourist beaches have been closed in Spain over new shark sightings.
Swimmers were out of the water at San Augustin beach in Gran Canaria after a tourist photographed the tell-tale fin of a shark sticking out of the water.
Tourists at Melenara Beach on the island’s east coast were also urged to stay away from the sea after a police drone spotted a hammerhead shark.The sighting was the second one in just two days and came after the beach was deemed safe enough to reopen to the public.

My surfer pals have seen a few here over the years.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Noggin wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:49 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:58 pm

"
Oh I did see they had originally decided not to. I would like to think that now they'd try again!!

This gives me a bit of hope -
The Met Police said it was aware of the outcome of the civil case and would assess any new information that was presented in the process. It also confirmed there is currently no active police investigation in the case
Otherwise the guy can just carry on as before, no?
Assuming of course that she is telling the truth, which is where civil cases are unreliable.
Even if he is telling the truth he was in a position of trust and it is all shades of wrong, I'm surprised the actions he admitted to are legal.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:04 am
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 9:49 am Careful Yoz, them sharks might head over your way! :shock:

Many years ago we went to Tenerife. Proper lads abroad piss up type holiday. Booked in on this BBQ on a boat thing where we went out on some old tub and was supplied with cheap drink and burgers. Anyway, the highlight was you could swing out on this rope and drop into the sea which was all great fun to my 18 year old mind. Anyway, we'd met up with a bunch of scouse lads who were in their second week and had been out on the boat the week before, but none of them would do the rope swing thing. When questioned one of them said in his broad scouse accent, fook dat, dey get sharks down dere dont dee! :D Apparently the week before when they were all splashing about a big dorsal fin cruised past and blind panic set in! :shock: We didn't use the rope swing after that revelation either! :?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:07 pm Blimey. €1.2 billion.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/queen-sale-one-billion/

Wowsers
Idiots. I'd have gone to £1.4...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:11 pm

Many years ago we went to Tenerife. Proper lads abroad piss up type holiday. Booked in on this BBQ on a boat thing where we went out on some old tub and was supplied with cheap drink and burgers. Anyway, the highlight was you could swing out on this rope and drop into the sea which was all great fun to my 18 year old mind. Anyway, we'd met up with a bunch of scouse lads who were in their second week and had been out on the boat the week before, but none of them would do the rope swing thing. When questioned one of them said in his broad scouse accent, fook dat, dey get sharks down dere dont dee! :D Apparently the week before when they were all splashing about a big dorsal fin cruised past and blind panic set in! :shock: We didn't use the rope swing after that revelation either! :?
You'll be upsetting @weeksy :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:35 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:11 pm

You'll be upsetting @weeksy :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Great bunch of lads as it happens. But this was back when piss talking and banter was what it was all about and no one got offended and called it hate speech! :wtf:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Wowsers
Taylor Swift is half their age and is worth a billion....
irie

Post by irie »

Donald Sutherland. RIP. Probably my all time favourite actor. M*A*S*H and Kelly's Heroes brilliant.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bigjawa wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 8:32 pm

Wowsers
Taylor Swift is half their age and is worth a billion....
Not such good hair though.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

They were a day late. The Summer Solstice was yesterday :obscene-birdiedoublered:

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c7224qlenmeo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

You don't need to go all the way to Stonehenge either, same thing happens here in Central MK :thumbup:

Midsummer Boulevard is aligned with the summer solstice, hence the name.

Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0dde402z4no
Speaking to reporters in London, Sir Keir said Mr Thomas was a veteran "who's got a proud record of service".

He said the comments showed the Conservatives were "party first through and through and country second" which was the "wrong way round".

"I think this is sad desperation that the veterans minister is attacking another veteran who's got a proud record of service," he said.

"It's desperate."

Responding, Mr Mercer said: "I am guilty as charged for being a sad man who is rather old fashioned and thinks veterans who boast in newspapers about their record in combat in order to get elected should be held to account, particularly if it turns out to be untrue.

"It is deeply offensive and disrespectful to those who do actually shed blood for the nation."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:08 pm I could tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0dde402z4no
Speaking to reporters in London, Sir Keir said Mr Thomas was a veteran "who's got a proud record of service".

He said the comments showed the Conservatives were "party first through and through and country second" which was the "wrong way round".

"I think this is sad desperation that the veterans minister is attacking another veteran who's got a proud record of service," he said.

"It's desperate."

Responding, Mr Mercer said: "I am guilty as charged for being a sad man who is rather old fashioned and thinks veterans who boast in newspapers about their record in combat in order to get elected should be held to account, particularly if it turns out to be untrue.

"It is deeply offensive and disrespectful to those who do actually shed blood for the nation."
So he doesn't know if it's true or not? Or, if he does know it to be untrue, how does he know? Has he used his position/contacts to trawl through military records stuff in order to diss a member of the opposition? That's my question....how do you know??

It's pretty grubby stuff from Mercer though. I thought he was a better man than that.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire