What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ChrisW

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ChrisW »

Went to Chester, shopping. Claimed my usual reward of a mooch around Bill Smith's. They've moved!! The city-centre branch is a goner. We called in at the former Honda only showroom & there's a whole new building where the car park used to be - big solus Honda showroom. Suzuki etc. are in the old showroom but no more Yamaha or Triumph.

Had a walk around the used bikes bit until I realised they're not actually open yet but had been apparently too polite to tell us to fuck off!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I drank some coffee, some rum, a bit of hot choc, chilled out, met some friends and saw my gorgeous physio (for laughs, well, to help my shoulder and my knee, but mostly for laughs!!)

It's been a very chilled day!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Found something my fancy pants car can't software it's way out of...a slightly muddy field :lol:

Got directed into an (unlit) overflow car park, before I realised what was going on my car was proving itself utterly helpless off tarmac. Foxed by grass and drizzle. TBF, I had (and still have) no intention of ever taking it off tarmac. :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Got half pushed half towed out.

Funny how many people will stand there watching the staff pushing other people out while waiting their turn and complaining how long it's taking :hmmm:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Started watching American Sniper again, knowing I can't watch the ending. FFS
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Waved off our Xmas house guest. Took down the outside xmas lights and all the xmas decorations, except the tree. All over for another year...
Last edited by Taipan on Mon Jan 01, 2024 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:12 pm Waved of our Xmas house guest. Took down the outside xmas lights and all the xmas decorations, except the tree. All over for another year...
I always feel a bit sad when it’s all over.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 3:12 pm Waved of our Xmas house guest. Took down the outside xmas lights and all the xmas decorations, except the tree. All over for another year...
Still 5 days to go here :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Did slightly silly hours last week (well, in 4.5 days :roll:) but at least I get overtime!! :lol:

Today is supposed to be slightly chilled as I do big hours Saturday and Sunday and start later on Monday.

So I had some coffees with a couple of mates first (ish) thing, then a hot choc with another (couldn't deal with more coffee!)!!

Then to work. Thought it was going to be a quiet and easy day! Nope. Finished an hour late having dealt with some interesting stuff! LOL Had to tell a lot of people that we didn't have any drivers in resort (4 of them were working but all out on jobs - mad how many people seem to have missed the last lift home today :roll: :roll: )

Gave up on actual food tonight - I've had a sarnie and am heading to bed in a mo ready for the early start in the morning!! :lol: :lol:

Hope tomorrow is not so bad :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good job I love my job :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Set off at 2am to pick son and DiL up from Heathrow after they spent Xmas with her dad in San Francisco. Ready for a glass of wine and a kip now.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Putting the xmas decs in the loft and I noticed I couldn't hear the bathroom extractor fan running. Went over to look at it and found there was a isolator switch next to it which was off, so I switched it back on. I could then hear water running noise! :wtf: I pulled the tube off the fan and saw the fan was sitting in water and pretty much the whole 12ft of tubing had water in it! :shock:

Now when I'm in the bathroom I can hear the fan running and I don't recall hearing that since we had the new bathroom fitted over a year ago, so I'm guessing the sparky never turned it on, or one of us inadvertently turned it off? Anyway, good job I found that before it burst and spilt it's contents all over the ceilings! :crazy:
Skub

Post by Skub »

The dude called to read our leccy meter today and it pulled such a reading for the period that it didn't allow him to enter it. Basically we'll be billed for 3 times our normal bill and I have not one clue why. We always use a bit more over Xmas,but this is from September 23 to now and I can think of nothing that has changed from any other year.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:39 pm The dude called to read our leccy meter today and it pulled such a reading for the period that it didn't allow him to enter it. Basically we'll be billed for 3 times our normal bill and I have not one clue why. We always use a bit more over Xmas,but this is from September 23 to now and I can think of nothing that has changed from any other year.
Emersion heater left on?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:32 pm Putting the xmas decs in the loft and I noticed I couldn't hear the bathroom extractor fan running. Went over to look at it and found there was a isolator switch next to it which was off, so I switched it back on. I could then hear water running noise! :wtf: I pulled the tube off the fan and saw the fan was sitting in water and pretty much the whole 12ft of tubing had water in it! :shock:

Now when I'm in the bathroom I can hear the fan running and I don't recall hearing that since we had the new bathroom fitted over a year ago, so I'm guessing the sparky never turned it on, or one of us inadvertently turned it off? Anyway, good job I found that before it burst and spilt it's contents all over the ceilings! :crazy:
Where's the water come from?! :shock:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:57 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:32 pm Putting the xmas decs in the loft and I noticed I couldn't hear the bathroom extractor fan running. Went over to look at it and found there was a isolator switch next to it which was off, so I switched it back on. I could then hear water running noise! :wtf: I pulled the tube off the fan and saw the fan was sitting in water and pretty much the whole 12ft of tubing had water in it! :shock:

Outlet is above the shower, so I guess its the condensed steam from a long period of time?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:39 pm The dude called to read our leccy meter today and it pulled such a reading for the period that it didn't allow him to enter it. Basically we'll be billed for 3 times our normal bill and I have not one clue why. We always use a bit more over Xmas,but this is from September 23 to now and I can think of nothing that has changed from any other year.
His device/their billing system will flag up anomalous consumption readings - you get the same if you mis-enter a reading on-line, or if eg the previous reading was wrong (but that should have flagged up too. The other thing that used to happen is meters 'roll over' ie go from 999999 to 000000 and that can mess things up. Neither of which really explain a 3× increase. Have you been submitting estimated readings or have they been estimating them for a while ie while the price went due north?

Meters do go wrong too so you might request a meter check.

The only other thing I can suggest is to monitor the rate of increase over an hour of normal use, then start turning stuff off. If it's still rising fast when you've done that to the obvious things, something, somewhere is still burning energy.

(You've reminded me that I was supposed to submit my readings yesterday...off to the garage I go.... :( ).
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:03 pm

Outlet is above the shower, so I guess its the condensed steam from a long period of time?
Could be, but it sounds like a lot of water. :hmmm:
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:45 pm Emersion heater left on?
Never need to use it.
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:10 pm
His device/their billing system will flag up anomalous consumption readings - you get the same if you mis-enter a reading on-line, or if eg the previous reading was wrong (but that should have flagged up too. The other thing that used to happen is meters 'roll over' ie go from 999999 to 000000 and that can mess things up. Neither of which really explain a 3× increase. Have you been submitting estimated readings or have they been estimating them for a while ie while the price went due north?

Meters do go wrong too so you might request a meter check.

The only other thing I can suggest is to monitor the rate of increase over an hour of normal use, then start turning stuff off. If it's still rising fast when you've done that to the obvious things, something, somewhere is still burning energy.

(You've reminded me that I was supposed to submit my readings yesterday...off to the garage I go.... :( ).
It's all based on actual meter readings,we've not missed any,or had estimated readings.

I'm going to take my own daily readings for a while to give me a picture of what may be happening.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:12 pm
Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:03 pm

Could be, but it sounds like a lot of water. :hmmm:
Its all it can be. The outlet on the outside faces downwards from the soffit and as we know, water runs down, not up. So it must come from the bathroom end as there is no leaks in the pipework and no water anywhere else. I cant recall ever hearing the hum of the fan, so I assume its never been on and we had the new bathroom fitted November 2022...
Last edited by Taipan on Tue Jan 02, 2024 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:18 pm
Never need to use it.
But does that mean its not been put on inadvertently? Can't think of anything else in a house that would draw that much power?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:27 pm
Skub wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 2:18 pm
Never need to use it.
But does that mean its not been put on inadvertently? Can't think of anything else in a house that would draw that much power?
I can think of one. But don't think he's got a pool :obscene-birdiedoublered: