In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Yambo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Yambo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:43 pm TV doctor Michael Mosley, known for popularising the 5:2 diet, has gone missing while on holiday on the Greek island of Symi.

Mmmm, M did a day trip to Symi (local spelling Simi) a week ago. A day trip, maybe an overnight trip is plenty long enough as there's not much there at all. I went about 4 years ago.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am
That's a very long-winded way of describing people using the wrong word for something or wrongly applying a specific term to describe something more general.
Sorry for bringing this comment back from the depths of time but it chimes with a recent wokeism I just heard about.

Justice-impacted-individuals. Google it yourself.

It means criminals but you can't call them that. They are victims too. Apparently... :hmmm:
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:45 pm
Potter wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:52 am
That's a very long-winded way of describing people using the wrong word for something or wrongly applying a specific term to describe something more general.
Sorry for bringing this comment back from the depths of time but it chimes with a recent wokeism I just heard about.

Justice-impacted-individuals. Google it yourself.

It means criminals but you can't call them that. They are victims too. Apparently... :hmmm:
What sort of vagina-related-individual uses that phrase?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:32 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:06 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:14 pm

We the people, or armed forces from and representing the allied forces...
OK. "We" liberated France so that France would be free. Free, for example, to impose border and custom controls.
Which, of course, it is and indeed does.
I'll cut the French a lot of slack for the respect they pay the dead involved in their liberation. The war graves have always been kept immaculately whenever I've seen them. I suspect they wouldn't be such a heart-stopping experience if they were here tbh.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:35 pm
Saga Lout wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:06 pm
OK. "We" liberated France so that France would be free. Free, for example, to impose border and custom controls.
I'll cut the French a lot of slack for the respect they pay the dead involved in their liberation. The war graves have always been kept immaculately whenever I've seen them. I suspect they wouldn't be such a heart-stopping experience if they were here tbh.
But they're not here, so how do you know what they would be if they were? For example, if the Bosch had crossed the Channel and the French had fought to liberate GB would it have been any different? I doubt it, their dead buried here would be being honoured in the same way.

I call Count Steer bullshit.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:59 pm
But they're not here, so how do you know what they would be if they were? For example, if the Bosch had crossed the Channel and the French had fought to liberate GB would it have been any different? I doubt it, their dead buried here would be being honoured in the same way.

You see that little word up there - 'suspect'. Well, it doesn't mean the same as 'know'. I'm surprised you think it does tbh.
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:08 pm

You see that little word up there - 'suspect'. Well, it doesn't mean the same as 'know'. I'm surprised you think it does tbh.
In other words, you believe that the probability is that they would. Nice wriggle. Fail.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

They are here too, the German war cemetary in Cannock is very well kept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_C ... y_Cemetery
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:30 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:08 pm

In other words, you believe that the probability is that they would. Nice wriggle. Fail.
I meant exactly what I said. If I wanted to say 'Fact', I'd have said 'Fact'.

(Bullshit, wriggle, fail? Have you lost your meds?).
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:41 pm ...
Have you lost your meds?).
Yet again resorting to ad hominems. :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:41 pm
irie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:30 pm If I wanted to say 'Fact', I'd have said 'Fact'.
You're not allowed to use that word. Someone else has a monopoly on it. Fact. Oh Gods, I'm in trouble now! Fact. Aaargggh :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

The people doing the work in the cemeteries may well be local French people but they get paid by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The French allow that to happen but that doesn't mean they need to be cut some slack.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The respective Allied and German war graves are kept immaculate in the ones I visited in Maleme. I think it's the Cretians who keep them so.

Fair play.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:06 am

The people doing the work in the cemeteries may well be local French people but they get paid by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

The French allow that to happen but that doesn't mean they need to be cut some slack.
When I went to Normandy I got the impression that the locals truly love and respect the allies that liberated them and not just do it for money.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A good few years ago we did a Normandy beach tour the week after the D-Day memorials. I found the whole thing very respectful with union jacks everywhere, and other flags too. Lots f private homes had old photo displays in their gardens and again were flying allied flags. The whole thing was kind of humbling.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:24 am A good few years ago we did a Normandy beach tour the week after the D-Day memorials. I found the whole thing very respectful with union jacks everywhere, and other flags too. Lots f private homes had old photo displays in their gardens and again were flying allied flags. The whole thing was kind of humbling.
Exactly what I saw and experienced, the locals really do take it seriously.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:39 pm

They are here too, the German war cemetary in Cannock is very well kept.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannock_C ... y_Cemetery
Brookwood Miltary Cemetery is my local one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brookwood_Cemetery

(Largest cemetery in the UK, used to have it's own railway line from London and a station within a station at Waterloo). It's also the largest Commonwealth war cemetery in the UK).

It's also well kept and very moving too but, as I said up there ^^^ the ones in France are just heart-stopping.
Voltaire
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

JamJar wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 10:55 am
Yambo wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 6:06 am

When I went to Normandy I got the impression that the locals truly love and respect the allies that liberated them and not just do it for money.
I'm sure they do but that doesn't change the fact that the Commonwealth War Graves Commission look after the war cemeteries. Not only in France but all around the world.

Back in December I visited the Kanchanaburi War Cemetery in Thailand, nearly 7000 graves of British, Australian and Dutch soldiers who died whilst prisoners of the japanese during WW2. Whilst it doesn't have the grandeur of the Normandy and other European cemeteries, it too is very well tended.
Wiki wrote:The commission is currently responsible for the continued commemoration of 1.7 million deceased Commonwealth military service members in 153 countries
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Our local graveyard has 3 wargraves, 3 Indian soldiers. Their graves are kept clean neat and tidy by the Wargraves Commission, the rest of it is left to go to shit by the local council.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

My father was a RAF fighter pilot who lost his life in peacetime when his aircraft developed a mechanical malfunction but he was unable to eject. If he could he would turn in his grave at Sunak thinking it's OK to place a wreath on a D-day memorial then leave early for a TV interview. What a wanker.

And I don't think the talking tree stump Starmer or slimeball Davey are any better than Sunak, they're not.
Last edited by irie on Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.