In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:05 am
Horse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:00 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5115e7k2eno

A newborn baby found earlier this year in Newham, east London, is the third child abandoned by the same parents, the BBC can report.

DNA tests presented to the East London Family Court established that “Baby Elsa” is the sibling of two babies, a boy and a girl, found in very similar circumstances in 2017 and 2019.
Jeesus. There's either something really horrible going on to a girl/woman out there who's got no one to turn to/help her, or there's some seriously stupid people having sex

Ok, I know the second happens a lot, but really, have they not worked out what causes it yet?!!
How do they "work it out" if they're "stupid"???
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:00 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c5115e7k2eno

A newborn baby found earlier this year in Newham, east London, is the third child abandoned by the same parents, the BBC can report.

DNA tests presented to the East London Family Court established that “Baby Elsa” is the sibling of two babies, a boy and a girl, found in very similar circumstances in 2017 and 2019.
Jeesus. There's either something really horrible going on to a girl/woman out there who's got no one to turn to/help her, or there's some seriously stupid people having sex

Ok, I know the second happens a lot, but really, have they not worked out what causes it yet?!!
The only recent case of (legal) forced female sterilisation in the UK was a woman with an IQ of 70. The courts ordered that she could/should be sterilised for the protection of her and her children.

IIRC a chap was also treated the same way a few years ago.

Sadly I'm inclined to think your first explanation is the more likely one :(
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I think eugenics must be due a resurgence.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:37 pm

The only recent case of (legal) forced female sterilisation in the UK was a woman with an IQ of 70. The courts ordered that she could/should be sterilised for the protection of her and her children.

IIRC a chap was also treated the same way a few years ago.

Sadly I'm inclined to think your first explanation is the more likely one :(
That's irony.
Kept alive by a system that then sterilises them so they can't breed.

There is a whole underclass full of them though, give it another hundred years and you'll be in the minority if you're not a genuine moron.
I blame the parents - well, unless you have an IQ of 70....
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

What were the Italians trying to achieve with this? I hope they are prosecuting the cops with the same charges.
A court in Florence has reconvicted Amanda Knox for slander, years after she was acquitted of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in 2007.

Knox will not go to prison as she has already served four years for the murder, for which she was originally convicted.

At the time she was also convicted of slander for blaming the murder on local bar owner Patrick Lumumba during police interrogation, but that conviction was quashed last year and a retrial ordered.

Knox's lawyers have said they expect to appeal against the latest verdict.

They added that Amanda was disappointed as she was hoping to finally clear her name after years of legal battles.

She told the court on Wednesday that police had coerced her into implicating Mr Lumumba.

"The police threatened me with 30 years in prison, an officer slapped me three times saying 'Remember, remember'," Knox, 36, said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c877vp7v6lxo
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:03 pm What were the Italians trying to achieve with this? I hope they are prosecuting the cops with the same charges.
A court in Florence has reconvicted Amanda Knox for slander, years after she was acquitted of murdering her British roommate Meredith Kercher in 2007.

Knox will not go to prison as she has already served four years for the murder, for which she was originally convicted.

At the time she was also convicted of slander for blaming the murder on local bar owner Patrick Lumumba during police interrogation, but that conviction was quashed last year and a retrial ordered.

Knox's lawyers have said they expect to appeal against the latest verdict.

They added that Amanda was disappointed as she was hoping to finally clear her name after years of legal battles.

She told the court on Wednesday that police had coerced her into implicating Mr Lumumba.

"The police threatened me with 30 years in prison, an officer slapped me three times saying 'Remember, remember'," Knox, 36, said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c877vp7v6lxo
From what I read it's because Knox wouldn't let her conviction for slandering Patrick Lumumba stand so accordingly instructed her lawyers.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

How to treat the people who saved you from the clutches of the SS when they literally drop in for a cuppa! French bureaucracy at its best, ffs! :roll:
D-Day 80th anniversary: British paratroopers met by French customs as they parachute into Normandy
Around 320 British, Belgian and US paratroopers took part in the jump, recreating the D-Day invasion.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:06 am How to treat the people who saved you from the clutches of the SS when they literally drop in for a cuppa! French bureaucracy at its best, ffs! :roll:
D-Day 80th anniversary: British paratroopers met by French customs as they parachute into Normandy
Around 320 British, Belgian and US paratroopers took part in the jump, recreating the D-Day invasion.
I thought you liked the idea of people controlling their borders. To be fair they will have checked all passports of people coming on planes from Britain, not just the Brits.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:06 am How to treat the people who saved you from the clutches of the SS when they literally drop in for a cuppa! French bureaucracy at its best, ffs! :roll:
It's not "the people who saved [France] from the clutches of the SS" though, is it? I don't think there would have been any 100+ year olds parachuting into Normandy this year.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Haha. The Daily Mail at its best.

Daily Mail: "We insist on not being part of Europe and insist on strict border control between our country and theirs"

Also Daily Mail: "France enforcing border control! It's a disgrace!"

:roll:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I'm a bit suspicious about what 'met by customs' really means, I've been put into many countries by the military and even though most probably had some sort of customs process I rarely ever noticed or engaged with it.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:18 pm I'm a bit suspicious about what 'met by customs' really means, I've been put into many countries by the military and even though most probably had some sort of customs process I rarely ever noticed or engaged with it.
From a video on the DM site it look like they had arranged to meet some customs guys who checked their passports with laptops.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:18 pm I'm a bit suspicious about what 'met by customs' really means, I've been put into many countries by the military and even though most probably had some sort of customs process I rarely ever noticed or engaged with it.
We got diverted once in bad weather from Brize to Manchester, we'd flown straight in from Basra and got off an aircraft and we didn't know what to do, neither did anyone else, so we walked through customs with all weapons systems, ammunition, etc. The customs people were having a fit, so much so that they didn't have time to catch us all, we were in civvies so hard to spot unless you noticed the weapons we were carrying, me and my mate walked right through in the commotion, hired a car and drove to base.

UK border control has more holes than Tetleys.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Slenver wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:24 pm
From a video on the DM site it look like they had arranged to meet some customs guys who checked their passports with laptops.

In my experience, immigration officers (or police officers) do the passport checks and customs officers (tax collectors basically) are there to check for contraband.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:05 pm
Slenver wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 12:24 pm

In my experience, immigration officers (or police officers) do the passport checks and customs officers (tax collectors basically) are there to check for contraband.
Makes sense, but blokes with 'Douane' on them were stamping passports. No idea :)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:59 am
It's not "the people who saved [France] from the clutches of the SS" though, is it? I don't think there would have been any 100+ year olds parachuting into Normandy this year.
We the people, or armed forces from and representing the allied forces...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

irie wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:14 pm

How do they "work it out" if they're "stupid"???
They managed to work it in.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:14 pm

OK. "We" liberated France so that France would be free. Free, for example, to impose border and custom controls.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Saga Lout wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:06 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 1:14 pm

OK. "We" liberated France so that France would be free. Free, for example, to impose border and custom controls.
Which, of course, it is and indeed does.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

How strange? Left his phone behind too? I hope there's a good ending to his...

Search under way after TV doctor Michael Mosley goes missing in Greece.

TV doctor Michael Mosley, known for popularising the 5:2 diet, has gone missing while on holiday on the Greek island of Symi.

A search and rescue operation is under way, including a police dog and a drone searching hard to reach areas.

A helicopter is flying from Athens to assist, Symi's deputy mayor told BBC News.

Greek Police said Dr Mosley left his wife on the beach and set off on a walk to the centre of the island on Wednesday.

His phone was found at the place he was staying at with his wife, who reported him missing, a police spokesperson told BBC News.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cerr19d0z0go