In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: In todays news...

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 3:43 pm * Having watched some programmes about the RNLI I'd quite happily turn a blind eye if they decided not to risk their lives saving some of the dickheads they do rescue, like some of the tossers on paddleboards or people without a scooby that set off on trips without the right kit or any real experience etc etc etc. Some of them should be charged with reckless endangerment.
It's a long list, such as the silly bastids wearing flip-flops and shorts who go up mountains and wonder why they get cold. And as for those blardy stupid motorbikers ... :)

Re RNLI, it's a shame that the dodgy inflatables that drift out to sea, taking some hapless holidaymaker with them, so often accidentally get punctured during the rescue.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:30 pm Range Rover accept their cars are too nickable.

They're offering 5 grand to help with insurance costs.
Call me old fashioned, but why not try to make the ignition/software safe?
Can't be that hard ?

https://news.sky.com/story/when-will-in ... g-13040934
All keyless cars are easily nickable, its demand that ups the RR theft numbers as they fetch a fortune in Africa etc
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:40 pm How many folk here have errant kids? I'm sure you'd never lock them out of your life completely.

But the dickhead King of England is too busy to see his son. Not even 10 minutes.

This does piss me off

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ck5k0874nzro
TBF I'd fuck him off out of it if my son behaved like that towards the rest of my family, but that isn't the case here.

Prince Harry touched down in the U.K. on Tuesday to celebrate a decade of the Invictus Games, but he has no plans to meet with his father, King Charles III.

A spokesperson for the Duke of Sussex responded to the speculation that the pair might meet while in the U.K. in a Tuesday statement to NBC News.

"It unfortunately will not be possible due to His Majesty’s full programme," the spokesperson said. "The Duke of course is understanding of his father’s diary of commitments and various other priorities and hopes to see him soon."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:22 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 5:30 pm Range Rover accept their cars are too nickable.

Can't be that hard ?

All keyless cars are easily nickable, its demand that ups the RR theft numbers as they fetch a fortune in Africa etc
So why not go back to having cars with keys?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I lost the keys for my Honda Shitvic (2006) it took the locksmith all of 30 seconds to open it up and start the engine.

All cars are easily nickable.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:01 pm When I lost the keys for my Honda Shitvic (2006) it took the locksmith all of 30 seconds to open it up and start the engine.

All cars are easily nickable.
Don't ask me how, but at a hand car wash they managed to lock the doors of my old Saab convertible with the key inside. Much panic and frantic phone calls in some east European language results in a bloke in a van turning up, taking one look at the car, fetching a wallpaper scraper and large, pre-looped cable tie. Slid the scraper into the frameless B-pillar, in went the cable tie over the thumb press to lock the door, a quicken 'tighten and lift up' motion and there's the door open. Bloke made it look piss easy, which I suppose it was.

By way of apology I got a full valet and a glovebox full of air fresheners. :lol:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 12:30 pm

Can't be that hard ?

Just as easy to nick. Its very difficult to solve. JLR spent £10 updating the BCM (Body control module) on later JLRs to try and prevent relay theft, but before the updates had even reached all the cars, thieves were already using a different method. You can buy a device from ebay and many other online places, that plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm

Just as easy to nick. Its very difficult to solve. JLR spent £10 updating the BCM (Body control module) on later JLRs to try and prevent relay theft, but before the updates had even reached all the cars, thieves were already using a different method. You can buy a device from ebay and many other online places, that plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
Hmm. Thanks.

Could they not introduce a PIN thingy like bank cards?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My MK1 Pug 406 had a flip down keypad to enter a code to disable the immobilizer. Added a good 15 seconds to every journey.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:43 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm

Hmm. Thanks.

Could they not introduce a PIN thingy like bank cards?
Even with biometrcs, they could bypass it. If you think about it, a manufacturer/dealership must be able to bypass everything to reprogram in the event of all keys being lost. This is how thieves do it by reproducing the same systems.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
Another newer method is to remove trim (inner wheel arch cover, for example) that provides easy access to the CANBUS.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Horse wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:49 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
Another newer method is to remove trim (inner wheel arch cover, for example) that provides easy access to the CANBUS.
Yup, head lamp connectors are canbus.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:52 pm
Horse wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:49 pm
Yup, head lamp connectors are canbus.
Yup, just popping the headlight out on some Lexus can apparently, be done with a swift jemmy? We're also back to cutting body panels to get loom points for the same reason.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

For the record, my old Nissan Figaro had none of these hi-tech deterrents and yet it was never nicked.

;)
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

gremlin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 3:11 pm For the record, my old Nissan Figaro had none of these hi-tech deterrents and yet it was never nicked.

;)
There was probably another reason for that..... ;)

Similarly - the Mirthcycle could be left virtually anywhere with the keys in and it never disappeared. :D
non quod, sed quomodo
Potter

Post by Potter »

IT nerds designing systems that are so easy to break into even criminals without IT degrees can nick them in 30 seconds :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm You can buy a device from ebay and many other online places, that plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
JOb JObbed

https://www.tvl-ltd.co.uk/obd-port-protection-universal
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:31 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm You can buy a device from ebay and many other online places, that plugs into the obd port and will programme a new key in seconds and off you go.
JOb JObbed

That looks a pretty good one. Think i'll order one of those and share it with my fellow nervous wreck Rangey owners! :D Cheers for posting it. :thumbup:
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:13 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 6:31 pm
JOb JObbed

That looks a pretty good one. Think i'll order one of those and share it with my fellow nervous wreck Rangey owners! :D Cheers for posting it. :thumbup:
No experience with them myself, no one wants to nick a 12 year old 2.2 Civic, there are loads of versions about, some are proper armoured things that require supporting bracketry and look pretty decent.