What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

Basically bugger all, but bracing myself for an imminent trip to Costco... & had a look at my portfolio, wishing I hadn't... altho tbf, half the stuff went up, the other half wiped out that gain & then some.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

I have spent the day in the care of the NHS getting my foreskin chopped off :silent:

I was advised to have it under local anaesthetic because of the risks around going fully under with asthma, fuck that for a game of soldiers, absolute fucking agony from the first injection and all 4 follow ups to top me off during the procedure :sick:

They put a bar across the bed, which when it first appeared didn't fill me with confidence, but when they folded the sheets over so I couldn't see I got it (even though I could watch through the reflections in the lights, by half way through if that bar wasn't there and I could have sat up I would have throttled the surgeon.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Commute home, on the Sheffield Parkway, just after the McLaren Composite centre heading towards the M1... overtaken by a low slung yellow lambo thing, an AMG G-Wagon, 2x Lambo SUV things and a matt purple sporty lambo all in a loose convoy.

They must have been wel-jel of my grey diesel ovlov. Took the North bound junction of the M1, off to live like kings amongst the poor people.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

The universe is a total bastard. Anyone nearby needs to take its sodding baseball bat away from it

A few weeks ago I found out that my SDad’s sister (my sort of aunt on that basis) was quite ill, a return of myeloma, so she’s having a course of chemo. Upsetting and sad but she sounded positive. We’re not ever so close but we’d all planned to get together for her 70th , but it was May of covid year so as a family we’ve been a bit shit and not actually all been in one place for a party since then

This afternoon I text my aunt in Essex. Just a little “ how are you” text because she was very close to my BDad and basically the o ly person I can talk to about him, and definitely the only person that remembers today and his birthday

Headed to bed early cos I’m on another early start tomorrow. She text be back about an hour ago to ask if she could call. We’ve chatted for an hour which has been awesome.
But the fucking universe deserves a slap - she’s about to have chemo treatment 3/5 (or 6?) for lymphoma

FFS. Why do the lovely people in my family get this shit. She’s been an absolute rock to me, even though we don’t chat often, we have a blast when we do. Even tonight it’s been more laughs and giggles than anything else.

But seriously universe. Sort your shit out and stop sending bad stuff to lovely people that I know!

And, my early night is out now cos despite the laughs and positivity I’m lying in bed in tears, so might just get up and see if I can find some comfort food 🙄🙄
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I was down the harbour early (ish) this morning to measure up for some bits I'll be making for Ömer's boat but no Ömer. I'm sure he'll call me when he's sobered up.

On the way home I saw Ferhat, our local scrap man so I grabbed him to collect a load of stuff from my house - I'm on the d of de-cluttering. A few years ago I came back from the Christmas/New Year trip to UK to find a BMW D7 boat engine on my balcony. It had come out of my friend Turhan's yacht and was getting water into the combustion chamber. He'd replaced it while I was away. I guessed what the problem was, the exhaust manifold/plenum chamber was cast iron and probably cracked. It was worse than that, it had a big hole in it.

A stainless steel replacement from UK was going to cost £500 and a ss one made to measure locally about £300. I put it on hold. The engine has been sat on my balcony for a few years now and earlier this year I advertised it for sale on our equivalent of ebay. Nobody wanted it, not even for spares and I couldn't generate the interest to get a new manifold, strip, clean and rebuild the engine to maybe generate more interest. It's on Ferhat's van now along with the deformed batteries from my electric scooter and other shite and now I have to clean my balcony. I suppose I should feel a sense of loss but there's nothing right now.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Done our usual Monday yomp a day early 'cos we're off to the stately country pile tomoz. :D

It rained. Not a problem with the right gear but we realised that in 2 years of doing that walk/variations of it all year round we've never had to put stuff like overtrousers on. Lightweight shower/wind jackets yes, but the full Monty? Nope. We've got wetter in France.

IIRC someone did analysis of the probability of rain on an English morning/evening commute re motorcycling and it's surprisingly low. (Wazzed it down overnight mind :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Muz has re-discovered his lathe after ignoring it for the best part of a year, so I've had a day to myself and done some stuff I've been avoiding due to extreme dullness.

The main thing being that I cleared / tidied / sorted / cleaned my home office desk and surrounds. It was getting difficult to see the surface under the drifts of post-its :mrgreen:

I also got some requisite fresh air through a combination of walking the hound, chopping some kindling, and chucking some wild flower seeds in a flower bed that up until recently had a massive laurel tree swamping it. (Hacking that down was last weekend's job).
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Had amazing 5 hour enduro ride :)
Not been out for a month and found it hard. Exhausted after.

Since last ride I had amazing trip to Portimao. Which got me thinking.
Which do I like best?

If I'd started enduro much younger, I'd have been better, but not relatively as good as racing, so no regrets. Had 40 years out of track riding.

But I'd put enduro slightly above road riding. It's easier to get a buzz and big grin.
I'll never sell the big Suzuki though.

And am at the Gran Canaria circuit in 3 weeks.

I'm lucky to have 3 biking options :)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sunny wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:21 pm Muz has re-discovered his lathe after ignoring it for the best part of a year, so I've had a day to myself and done some stuff I've been avoiding due to extreme dullness.

The main thing being that I cleared / tidied / sorted / cleaned my home office desk and surrounds. It was getting difficult to see the surface under the drifts of post-its :mrgreen:

I also got some requisite fresh air through a combination of walking the hound, chopping some kindling, and chucking some wild flower seeds in a flower bed that up until recently had a massive laurel tree swamping it. (Hacking that down was last weekend's job).
I don't think anyone would accuse you of 'extreme dullness' Sunny. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Another brown lane bimble. B roads and singles. Some dry, some wet and some covered in crap. Bike will get washed tomorrow, no time today. Very enjoyable and as usual, a pub for a pint or 2 nearer home. 🍻

Oh, and watched the Utd match, think they've lost their way. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Not as much as I should have done!! I did some sorting out and made headway into sorting the under the bed again, which will give more space elsewhere!!

Asked a question on a couple of FB groups only to get very few actual answers to the questions but lots and lots of unwanted suggestions!! :lol: Comme d'hab I guess!

Mended a mates jeans. They are about 30+ years old and serious sentimental value, so I've patched them quite a lot in the last year. Today was a fairly fix but also strengthening job. Hopefully they'll last a bit longer!

Planning an early ish night as hitching to the valley tomorrow to meet a mate for coffee. They've just got back from the uk so we have some catching up to do - he's one of the few english people out here that I can just 'chat' to without having to consider what I say!! He says the say same thing. Similar humour and both willing to accept a different opinion even if we don't agree :D I miss our coffees!! LOL

Possibility of someone I know dropping off a bag of veg from his allotment whilst I'm at coffee, but not sure. Hopefully the jeans mate will pop over to pick them up too :D

Then hitchhike home and hope the rain stays away until after I get a lift!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:58 pm
I don't think anyone would accuse you of 'extreme dullness' Sunny. :lol:
I meant that tidying my desk was extremely dull :mrgreen: but ta :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Took some scrap down the tip, even managed to get past the "Tip Taliban" with hardly any questions.

MTB with dog 3. It RAINED, then it RAINED some more, loads of flooding round Alfriston, we tried to avoid the flooding but failed which resulted in Dog 3 swimming alongside me as I pedalled through thigh deep water.

When I got home bike was then taken to bits, relubed some bearings, letting others dry (and I need to get some cleaning spray) before relubing and reassembling the bike tomorrow.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Felix

Post by Felix »

Drove 18 miles down the A1 to do work on my bus. Got there and opened the van doors to take materials out to notice i forgot the fecking keys. Normally i have spare keys left there as its a friends parents farm house but i forgot the keys once before and forgot to leave them when i left. Back up the road. Got the keys and back down again. Did what i had to do and came home again with two sets of keys :angry-cussingblack:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Worn a cardigan AND slippers.

Rocking the pensioner look. 8-)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hitch hiked to the valley. It started to rain just after I started to walk down. After seven local cars drove past me, and I was close to the turn off to a village just below me (some english friends arrived back on Saturday) I was about to quit and go see if they were awake when someone that I know from the summer stopped :bblonde: :bblonde:

Brilliant coffee and catch up.. Jeans friend and veg friend didn't show up sadly. Rain had stopped when I headed back home and got a lift pretty quickly - but with someone from the south so I understood about one word in ten! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then met the newly arrived for coffee (had to have hot choc as I'd drunk so much coffee already!! LOL) then a wander around resort.

Now chilling as my colleague has asked me to do the 7.30am start tomorrow, so an early night :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yesterday, and what I didn't do :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Hippy and Mark heard of a scary trail with big drops at the side.
They knew I'd hate it so I went the long way round.
We do lots of these where it's steep sides. But this was hairier than most.
The first scary bit about 2:40 where the path's been washed away.

They get stuck at about 6 mins.
At 6:53 can hear Mark say "I should have gone with Yorick " :D

They said they couldn't attack the last climb like normal as they wouldn't survive going over the edge :eek:

They said they won't do it again

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Removed the remains of my RE handlebar clock, after the face and workings jumped off yesterday in mid flight. Threadlock required.
Yamaha rocket 3
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yorick wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:37 pm Yesterday, and what I didn't do :obscene-birdiedoublered:

They said they couldn't attack the last climb like normal as they wouldn't survive going over the edge :eek:

If it looks bad on camera then it's definitely worse in real life. I'm terrible with heights, real vertigo.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:37 pm Yesterday, and what I didn't do :obscene-birdiedoublered:

If it looks bad on camera then it's definitely worse in real life. I'm terrible with heights, real vertigo.
Ditto. 90% of that path was rideable. But when it's obvious that I wouldn't survive going over the edge, I leave it.
But sometimes on those paths, it's so extreme that you can't turn round and go back.
Too steep to go back up anyway. The descent was much steeper than camera showed.