Tour de France 2024....chat, discussions, talking points

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Bustaspoke

Re: Tour de France 2024....chat, discussions, talking points

Post by Bustaspoke »

I enjoyed the Gravel stage,I was expecting Pidcock,WVA & VDP to be at the front.I was hoping Stuyven could hold on but it wasn't to be.
I know it's difficult to make a real time decission about concussion but allowing Vlasov to continue was a bit of a concern :shock:
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

didn't mind the gravel stage apart from that 90 degreee turn onto a steep ramp which had everyone off and pushing - without that section there would have been no moaning. Thought Remco was a bit daft attacking when he'd been continually out of position on entry into the gravel sections and having to work to get back up. Think I'll just watch the sprint on highlights tonight, can't imagine anything interesting happening today as weather is good with low winds
'07 Griso 1100 (for sale), '94 Sprint 900, the scabbiest Himalayan in the country
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Ditchfinder wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:32 am Think I'll just watch the sprint on highlights tonight, can't imagine anything interesting happening today as weather is good with low winds
You're probably right, it'll mostly just be background noise while working until the action hots up.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Now tomorrow - that's a totally different kettle of pigeons, horrible 15% ramp at the end of the climb of Puy Mary (2020 stage finish) and a draggy finish at Lioran ski resort.

Before all that are a lot of lumps and bumps and heavy roads a proper climbers day. Oh and it's quite pretty round those parts, proper landscape eye candy - i'll be watching the whole lot :thumbup:
'07 Griso 1100 (for sale), '94 Sprint 900, the scabbiest Himalayan in the country
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Bustaspoke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:19 am I enjoyed the Gravel stage,I was expecting Pidcock,WVA & VDP to be at the front.I was hoping Stuyven could hold on but it wasn't to be.
I know it's difficult to make a real time decission about concussion but allowing Vlasov to continue was a bit of a concern :shock:
The riders didn't look like they did! :shock:

A few more stages like that and they'll be treating silicosis as a cycling-related disease. There are some stages that look like a rewrite of 'They Shoot Horses Don't They?' and gravel stages are right up there.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:25 pm

A few more stages like that and they'll be treating silicosis as a cycling-related disease.
I've often thought that it's not doing the riders lungs any favours breathing all that dust,usually on Paris - Roubaix,Strade Bianche etc..
I'm of the opinion that they should minimise the 'caravan' in front of the riders because of the dust,surely in this day & age they can employ drones instead of camera bikes for the 'Gravel' sectors?.
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 12:25 pm
Bustaspoke wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2024 10:19 am I enjoyed the Gravel stage,I was expecting Pidcock,WVA & VDP to be at the front.I was hoping Stuyven could hold on but it wasn't to be.
The riders didn't look like they did! :shock:

A few more stages like that and they'll be treating silicosis as a cycling-related disease. There are some stages that look like a rewrite of 'They Shoot Horses Don't They?' and gravel stages are right up there.
I was at the stage on section 14 and the dust was crazy when the vehicles went through.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Getting hilly today but more lumpy than properly insane... I think Pog will still go for an attack though after his UAE team batters the rest to death on the lead in slopes... The problem for everyone as always is, not only is Pog insanely good, but so are his team.

Cav made a bit of a balls of it yesterday it seemed, got himself right out of position and on a roundabout they took a crap line which left them way back.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

One for the break today, selection for the break will happen straight after the Sprint I think, Girmay should hang in there until then. Abrahmson has to go for it and hope to make it to Puy Mary ahead of the peloton.

Pog or Vingo to attack on the final ramp of Puy Mary (Final section is 1km at 15% :wtf: ) and try and put some distance on the descent, especially into Remco as there are no flat bits for him to pull it back on. Could be one for Pidcock/Mohoric. Bardet is a local so would be a fitting farewell victory for him.

Another flat day tomorrow so no excuses for not having a go today if the legs are good.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Fascinating day and a bit of a surprise at the end. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

:shifty: And I was wrong about everything
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Ditchfinder wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:33 pm :shifty: And I was wrong about everything
I'd say there was an attack on the final ramp. :D

It was just at a late stage on it.

(Just not the Puy Mary one). :D
Voltaire
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

:angry-argument: Oh and beacuse they didn't let the break form for over 60kms there was no time for the big landscape shots either
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... ge-12/live

Looking like a day for the break ? Although with how the teams ride nowdays and the way the sport is going, the break-away seems almost not to exist any more... The sprint teams just lock it down, if it's not them it's UAE/Visma who lock it down instead.. Gone are the days of the pack having an easy day and giving a 3-4 rider bunch 5-10 mins that they simply don't bother pulling in again.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Sprinters are running out of chances now so can't see them letting the break go. What did yesterday's chaos take out of everyone though...?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well apart from the big 4, plus maybe a few of the people like Yates etc i don't think it was a terribly hard day for the rest (in their world anyway).

It did bring more questions than answers though at the front. Remco is impressing me with his dogged determination and i think/hope he'll get a deserved spot on the podium come the end. He's not in the same climbing league as Jonas and Pog, but he's pretty bloody decent isn't he :)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

It's all felt a tad surreal this year. Cav's win was a bit of a dream sequence, the way the stages have gone has felt a bit odd at times and a) not ending in Paris + b) ending with a TT instead of a final sprint is all a bit bizarre.

Still nice to watch though. :thumbup:
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I've just seen an interesting Insta

The 2CV is the reason climbs are Cat4/3/2/1/Haut.

If they could get up the hill in 4th gear in the 2CV then it was Cat4, 3rd is Cat3 etc etc... I've been watching cycling for many many years and wasn't aware of that fact.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2024 9:55 am Well apart from the big 4, plus maybe a few of the people like Yates etc i don't think it was a terribly hard day for the rest (in their world anyway).
I think Fred Wright had a tough day!
Voltaire
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Rumours of Covid in the peloton, masks at sign on this morning