NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Buckaroo

Re: NBT: I’ve just bought my forever bike, part 2!

Post by Buckaroo »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm Finally adjusted the wing mirror today. The stalk was just too far forward so you couldn’t pull the mirror back to get a proper view behind. I think Schwarzenegger must have tightened the bastard bolts up and that’s probably why it’d had been left unadjusted. Amazing how something so trivial can make such a difference!

The bike has Bridgestone Trailwings on and they are shit at everything. Useless at grip on the grass and so flat profiled you have to heave the bike over. I think it’ll get some more road bias tyres soon, but there is still quite some life left in the trailwings… :think:

Tyres aside the bike is brilliant. Properly brilliant. So smooth and I think the only bike I’ve owned that I get no numb fingers from! 70+ mpg! Various places to put your feet! Under seat storage for your lid. Good weather protection! The hits just keep coming! :thumbup:
Always good to have somewhere to store ones helmet :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm Finally adjusted the wing mirror today.
Woo. Tune in tomorrow for the exciting adventures of Shandyman. Tomorrow he will be moving the brake lever. Woooo, So exciting :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm Finally adjusted the wing mirror today. The stalk was just too far forward so you couldn’t pull the mirror back to get a proper view behind. I think Schwarzenegger must have tightened the bastard bolts up and that’s probably why it’d had been left unadjusted. Amazing how something so trivial can make such a difference!

The bike has Bridgestone Trailwings on and they are shit at everything. Useless at grip on the grass and so flat profiled you have to heave the bike over. I think it’ll get some more road bias tyres soon, but there is still quite some life left in the trailwings… :think:

Tyres aside the bike is brilliant. Properly brilliant. So smooth and I think the only bike I’ve owned that I get no numb fingers from! 70+ mpg! Various places to put your feet! Under seat storage for your lid. Good weather protection! The hits just keep coming! :thumbup:
But you knew all this before you sold the last one?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Nordboy wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:08 am

But you knew all this before you sold the last one?

I know! Fickle ain’t I! :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Get with the program, you have to call them deathwings.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:12 am Get with the program, you have to call them deathwings.
So they are widely known as a shit tyre! That might force my hand for new boots then! :thumbup:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Google "trail wings death wings" you'll get plenty of results, mostly related to the original version tho, I suppose the later ones might be betterer.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 am Google "trail wings death wings" you'll get plenty of results, mostly related to the original version tho, I suppose the later ones might be betterer.
I thought they were okay on my DRZ, like hard compound wets
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:19 am
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:44 am Google "trail wings death wings" you'll get plenty of results, mostly related to the original version tho, I suppose the later ones might be betterer.
They were lethal on road in the wet. I think I had them on a Tran Slap.
Taff

Post by Taff »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:30 am
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 8:12 am Get with the program, you have to call them deathwings.
So they are widely known as a shit tyre! That might force my hand for new boots then! :thumbup:
The only tyre that I've ever thrown away with milage left in them.
I found on damp roads they felt absolutely terrible, very wet and dry they were ok ish, but after about 3k I couldn't put up with them any more so went back to anakees
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

The back wheel tyre size limits your choice quite a bit. Not the greatest fan of Michelin tyres, but looks like this may be the way forward. So much tread left om the OEM tyres though. I suppose I could try and sell them and take the sting out of buying new ones, or just stick with them for a while. Bit gutted my local tyre place seems to have closed down s they do a ride in/ride out service which would suit me more than me cobbling the new tyres on...

Taff

Post by Taff »

I've just fitted a pair of Metzler Z8's to the CBF, they're the first Metzler I've ever fitted and I'm pretty impressed with them, after the first week of commuting I'm happy to be leaning far enough to be just a couple of mm from the edge on the rear tyre. I doubt they do the Z8 in a 15" rear but the scoot equivalent might be worth looking into.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've been reading upon the owners FB page and they rear can be hard to get hold of from a lot of manufacturers. Seems Pilot 4 is the way forward, so i've ordered a set of those.

I think the rear trailwing is pretty much new, so will see if I can sell that, but the front is near the end of its life anyway, so new tyres is a good call. Just hope i get on with the Pilots as i don't normally, but it may be Hobsons choice...
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

I have Michelin City grips on my 300, they seem absolutely fine, haven't really had a chance to properly test them for grip, so the Pilots should be very good. Can't remember what I had on my BMW C400GT though, but they didn't seem to lack any grip.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:05 pm The back wheel tyre size limits your choice quite a bit. Not the greatest fan of Michelin tyres, but looks like this may be the way forward. So much tread left om the OEM tyres though. I suppose I could try and sell them and take the sting out of buying new ones, or just stick with them for a while. Bit gutted my local tyre place seems to have closed down s they do a ride in/ride out service which would suit me more than me cobbling the new tyres on...

As you are dahn sarf try FWR and see if Bob can fit in a ride in ride out change over......he can normally sort it for you ped bois ;)

If you do go, tell him i said hello and ignore what ever he says about me :shock:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:39 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:19 am
They were lethal on road in the wet. I think I had them on a Tran Slap.
Mine were fine, I think they were TW41s, whatever came new on a DRZ400S.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

TBF I haven't had any real twitchy moments, I just hate the turn in on them due to the wide, flat profile. Feels like you're fighting the bike when leaning it and then it drops. A tad disconcerting. Anyway, i'm reliably informed the Pilot 4s transform the bike for road use. Hopefully i'll get them on next week and not damage the rims too much in the process! :?
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've put a few sets of Road 6s through the Zed and keep going back for the same. You don't get that dramatic 'new tyre' feel as with some other brands,as the profile is less pointy. The trade off is,they stay the same through the life of the tyre,very consistent.

I don't purposely ride in shitty weather,but I have been caught out in the wet and damp. The 6s offer excellent grip in all the conditions I encounter. I can't see the 4s or 5s being any different,aside from them being cheaper.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:24 pm I've put a few sets of Road 6s through the Zed and keep going back for the same.
Just out of I interest what you getting mileage wise out of the 6s front and rear?

I think I've done about 4k on the 5s I have now and the rear has a little flat spot but nothing dramatic and I can't feel it yet when riding. There's loads of tread left though. Be interesting at what point I bin them probably through profile rather than tread. Front still feels pretty good
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:24 pm I've put a few sets of Road 6s through the Zed and keep going back for the same. You don't get that dramatic 'new tyre' feel as with some other brands,as the profile is less pointy. The trade off is,they stay the same through the life of the tyre,very consistent.

I don't purposely ride in shitty weather,but I have been caught out in the wet and damp. The 6s offer excellent grip in all the conditions I encounter. I can't see the 4s or 5s being any different,aside from them being cheaper.
That's why i dont like pilots. The profile is mor "U" than "V" and it makes the steering feel heavier. Also in traffic I like a quick turning tyre which "V" profile tyres give better. That said, I imagine following the Deathwings, the Pilots will feel quick turning, so I may even be a convert! :thumbup: